oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Team Tekin Q&A (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17707)

Fabs 20-01-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassp0nk (Post 197928)
Well thats not true as the losi xcelorin systems have pc connectivity for firmware update, customisable throttle/brake curves (tekin don't have this yet right?) in fact eveything you are mentioning and more, but they include the cale with the package, a motor and it costs less than an RS Pro for the whole lot.

The only bummer is that the firmware seems rubbish because mine won't reverse which is why I'm looking at whether I want a tekin. Not impressed that tekin are marketing the ability to flash the firmware as an upsell feature to buy an expensive cable though.

Most importantly though, does reverse work properly on a tekin? :D

I'm not here to bash the Losi system, but you cannot compare it to the Tekin. The losi is NOT a competition system and is certainly not as reliable as the Tekin. Funny thing, the Losi CAN reverse as my mate found out one day, putting his car down for the start of a run and his car went backwards... It went forwards the round before... There are also a lot of issues with the lead free solder, issues that have been solved by Tekin and are one of the reasons the RS is a quality product.

Fabs 20-01-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chequered Flag Racing (Post 198463)
Ran these settings @ Petit RC. Update TP to 4 via Nathans HW.

Plugged into my hot wire @ home and I'm getting the following with an error message when HW fires up

TA @ 68
CL @ LIM

CL now says off as I tried to see if adjustment would save to esc.

hey you should have asked me I was there. I've been running 189 in fully sensored and 5° of boost, redline 5.5 on box timing and it was ballistic, 18.4s lap in 4WD final...

Fabs 20-01-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCM (Post 198888)
in dual mode, run timming set to 80 on the hotwire

in sensored only mode, run timing at 20 on the hotwire, with the motor timing (physical) at 0'

I believe randy meant to run in dual mode set at 80 and hae the motor's physical timing at 20°.

Randy p 21-01-2009 12:13 AM

Check: DCM is right.

I run my 5.5 in a Bj4we using 80 on the TA, dual mode. I set the motor timing at 20 on the endbell as I feel it works better there. It has NO timing effect at all once the esc is in dual mode which is in the first few inches of travel.

Lowie 29-01-2009 10:47 PM

I have now a Tekin RS Pro but also bought a R1.
Will the R1 be able to handle a Castle Creations 5700kV-motor (which also is sensorless) that I still have lying around?

I should think not, as the R1 has a motor limit of 5T brushless
and the Tekin 5T sensorless motors are rated only at 3700 kV ... but then I have some doubts as you Tekin-guys already told earlier that motors can not always be compared by their kV-rate.

DCM 29-01-2009 11:03 PM

it depends on it's turn rating (which CC don't provide), you could try, and just keep checking the temps. What were you thinking of running it in dude?

Lowie 29-01-2009 11:09 PM

in a Pred X11

DCM 30-01-2009 12:08 AM

I think you could possibly be pushing it's limits. No harm in trying a couple of laps at a time, and seeing what the temps are like?

Lowie 30-01-2009 07:18 AM

well, I guess I could, ... but I am considering workable solutions ... not something where I have to be causious all the time.
SO I learn from this that this combination "could possibly work" ... but there is a big chance the Tekin R1 will not be able to handle the basic, most used CC motor.

DCM 30-01-2009 07:47 AM

well, it all depends on the turn rating of the motor, as Kv is a mix of how many turns and rotor diameter. The Tekins have lower KV rating as the rotor diameter is significantly bigger on the Redline Sensorless to the Redline.

Lowie 30-01-2009 08:13 AM

well, I guess it's maybe wurth a try. If I ever find the time to test it out, I'll post my findings here.

DCM 30-01-2009 08:37 AM

thanks, thats a great help indeed. Just make sure you keep an eye on the temp ok, and if you can, fit a small fan in there to blow air over the solder posts.

Otherwise, it will make a great 2wd ESC.

Lowie 30-01-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCM (Post 202595)
Otherwise, it will make a great 2wd ESC.

yup, I'm now thinking about using it as ESC in my Tamiya M03-Swift.
I actually made a mistake and ordered the R1 where I needed a backup-ESC for my RS Pro and wanted to order the RS.
I must have done something wrong (wrong click + didn't notice my error) because I got the R1.

Fabs 30-01-2009 09:23 AM

Well worst that can happen is that the speedo will thermal.

Lowie 30-01-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabs (Post 202615)
Well worst that can happen is that the speedo will thermal.

true

so won't harm to try. Good tip

Randy p 30-01-2009 05:17 PM

We shoud be able to handle that load as long as you gear it correctly. I would make sure that it can get some air flow. Run two caps will also help esc temps.

I've run our 448 motor which is a 4T on the R1 in a wheeler. If anything it should thermal on you.

I generally say as soon as you go 4wd and low turn mods like say a 6.5 it's time for a Pro.

Lowie 31-01-2009 10:56 PM

just bought a Hotwire but haven't used it yet.
Is there a location, page on the teamTekin-site where one can download typical setups? Or notes on how to set up under different track-circumstances?

DCM 31-01-2009 11:02 PM

not as yet, but if you need some pointers, just ask.

Lowie 31-01-2009 11:07 PM

ok, great thx :)
Is it ok to ask here or do I better relocate to the Tekin-forum?

DCM 01-02-2009 12:10 AM

well, there are a few Euopean based drivers on here, or you can ask directly at Tekin too.

Lowie 01-02-2009 08:31 AM

well, I will be participating next weekend on the Belgian E.I.R. (Euro Indoor Race), Indoor 1/8 and 1/10 electro off-road.
It will be a track made with all new astroturf (so i guess tons of grip) and huge jumps, whoops, table ...
My car is a Pred and is equipped with an RS Pro and LRP 6.5 BL-motor.
But I'm rather inexperienced so I would like to start with a non-critical car, smooth on the throttle, ... and maybe later put a bit more juice into it if I can handle it better.
I plan to drive on safe at first, as "to win you have to finish first" ... but I will focus more on the finishing part :D

Should i play with lower settings on the Current Limit, Timing Advance, Throttle Profile?

Also, I understand Drag Brake and Push Control are opposite settings. The first applying brake when the throttle is in neutral while the second applies extra throttle. Why and when would you use those ... and by curiosity ... is itpossible to use both at the same time and why would you?

thx in adavance :)

DCM 01-02-2009 09:46 AM

right, a good starting point for general racing on the RS Pro with a 6.5

NW - 10
TP - 3
Lm - 90
Timing - 80
DB - 10
PC - 0

You would use a little drag brake on a sintered mod motor, a lot more on a bonded rotor mod motor. You would use push control on the stock ans super stock motors, to keep the speed up during the corner.

Ask Kev Lee at what he gears his 6.5 in his Pred.

Cooper 01-02-2009 10:32 AM

same question but for a 7.5 in an X6 please ;-)

Thanks !

DCM 01-02-2009 10:42 AM

only thing I would change, would be the limitir and timing, I might drop them both down 5% and go from there. If traction is plenty, go up a little.

KevLee 01-02-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCM (Post 203299)
right, a good starting point for general racing on the RS Pro with a 6.5

NW - 10
TP - 3
Lm - 90
Timing - 80
DB - 10
PC - 0

You would use a little drag brake on a sintered mod motor, a lot more on a bonded rotor mod motor. You would use push control on the stock ans super stock motors, to keep the speed up during the corner.

Ask Kev Lee at what he gears his 6.5 in his Pred.

I run 22/72 on a 6.5 in the Pred. My speedo setting are very similar to DCMs just i use TP4 and have LM Off.

Stu 01-02-2009 05:54 PM

Very impressed with the reliability of the Tekin ESC on the EBOR24 car.

Over the 24hr period it was accidentally shorted out across the motor wires on two occasions (smoke & sparks), it just carried on going without problems.

The electrics, like the car, did not miss a beat for the full duration.

Lowie 01-02-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 203418)
Very impressed with the reliability of the Tekin ESC on the EBOR24 car.

Over the 24hr period it was accidentally shorted out across the motor wires on two occasions (smoke & sparks), it just carried on going without problems.

The electrics, like the car, did not miss a beat for the full duration.

What car and Motor were you running, Stu?

Randy p 02-02-2009 05:50 PM

Ask 'em here , ask 'em there, ask 'em anywhere!

Seriously, posting them here is just fine. Along with DCM I'm confident we can work out any of your problems or questions.

So just ask!:D

niggs98 03-02-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowie (Post 203636)
What car and Motor were you running, Stu?

was a pred x11-08 with a tekin rs pro and a tekin redline 10.5. geared on 23/72, with the long run times we were aiming at we had a tp of 1 and a timing of 40. ran the full 24 hours without an issue other than when we shorted it across the prop twice and even then it didnt miss a beat;)

as for setups i will help you with yours at belgium m8 and we will tune it through the meeting to what you want. i have a hot wire and all the software you will need :thumbsup:

Lowie 03-02-2009 07:59 PM

ok, we'll get into the hotwire-setting-upping with a Duvel in our hand then.

geerno 23-02-2009 12:05 PM

Hotwire and Apple Mac

I have the RS Pro, just running it without the hotwire.

Is the hotwire software PC only. I have a Mac so most software is not written for Mac. I want to use this hotwire as I will be stepping up my motor soon.

Would look at the Tekin website, but it wont load up right now.

Cheers

markwilliamson2001 23-02-2009 12:08 PM

Get a copy of Parallels mate, for Mac, well worth it.

You can then use any PC-only software.

HTH
Mark

DCM 23-02-2009 12:36 PM

it is written for Windows based systems, as it uses the .Net framework, I believe.

Lowie 23-02-2009 12:48 PM

I'm no expert but I know that the Linux-community is making (or has made) a .net-alike envirement.
And as the latest Mac-OS has been based on UNIX, maybe there could be made a Mac-version of the Tekin-soft .. or made able to run the Tekin-soft on a Mac-os

geerno 23-02-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markwilliamson2001 (Post 211592)
Get a copy of Parallels mate, for Mac, well worth it.

You can then use any PC-only software.

HTH
Mark

Yeah, someone mentioned parallels for another issue with using non mac software that came with my camcorder. It looks like the only option until apple bring out the iEsc for RC Cars.

Do I need to get a Windows OS as well as the Parallels?

Cheers

samd 14-03-2009 09:45 AM

TIMING IN DUAL MODE

I hope someone that knows can help me with this.
I want to run a 5.5 in dual mode with a timing advance of 0deg.
On the RS pro I have read that in sensored mode the timing is endell timing + 'secret' 15deg so to keep timing the same when the RS Pro switches to sensorless mode does timing on the hotwire need to be set at 50?
So motor runs 0deg+15deg in sensored then 15deg(50 on hotwire) in sensorless to keep it the same?
Hope this make sense and someone knows! TA

DCM 14-03-2009 09:47 AM

what are you trying to acheive Sam?

Fabs 14-03-2009 09:55 AM

You don't wanna run anything less than 70% anyway mate in dual mode. Mine's set to 100, even though I run in sensored only.

KevLee 14-03-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samd (Post 218279)
I hope someone that knows can help me with this.
I want to run a 5.5 in dual mode with a timing advance of 0deg.
On the RS pro I have read that in sensored mode the timing is endell timing + 'secret' 15deg so to keep timing the same when the RS Pro switches to sensorless mode does timing on the hotwire need to be set at 50?
So motor runs 0deg+15deg in sensored then 15deg(50 on hotwire) in sensorless to keep it the same?
Hope this make sense and someone knows! TA

I think i know what you are asking but i'm not sure why you want to do that? Its not a bad thing to have different timing at a different stage in the motors rev range. If you want grunt off the line low timing will help that, but if you want it to rev higher at the end of the straight the high timing on the sensorless mode will help.

I think Randy may be able to confirm your figures above but i think they are right.

As Fabs said you want you dual mode timing up higher than 50%, i run 80% (standard timing on motor) and never change it now.

samd 14-03-2009 11:48 AM

What i want to do is just keep the timing the same but run in dual mode. I am just trying to understand the relationship between the timing setting of the two modes.
Im running a LRP 5.5 X12 with 0deg recommended timing and im happy with the speed and motor temps but want to run dual instead of sensored only. Thanks for the quick response guys!