oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schumacher (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Schumacher kf2 (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197736)

peterr32 31-05-2018 10:43 AM

Schumacher kf2

Looking for a bit of advice on the setup of my kf2.
Couple of issues I'm struggling with,
1. trying to get it to jump flatter, it always seems to want to jump/land nose down, even if I give it throttle in the air.

2. Making it less darty on the steering, I've added expo to the radio which helps.

Peter.

Stu Dixon 31-05-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterr32 (Post 988903)
Looking for a bit of advice on the setup of my kf2.
Couple of issues I'm struggling with,
1. trying to get it to jump flatter, it always seems to want to jump/land nose down, even if I give it throttle in the air.

2. Making it less darty on the steering, I've added expo to the radio which helps.

Peter.

Hi Pete,
I’m no expert but run the KF2.
Regards jumping flat have you got any drag brake set on your esc ?
Calming steering down use the 5deg from hubs.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Stu.

AdrianH78 31-05-2018 11:48 AM

I'm no expert either, but found for the motor forward position *not* triming the rear wing down also helps as the KF is quite a nose heavy car I believe. Idea being, more drag at the rear levels it out.

Easiest way to make the steering less darty is to run the shocks on the rear (need the alloy g/b housing to achieve this).

I didn't like the shocks on the rear though, made my KF feel too lazy, so I made some extended wing mounts to just move the wing back by around 1cm to calm it down a little, but not too much :)

5 dgree hubs as per the above is a great tip also. Don't know anyone that runs the originals..

peterr32 31-05-2018 12:15 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I think I have 5% drag brake on the esc. Will have a try with that for a start.
Got the 5 degree hubs on order now, so will try them when they arrive.

AmiSMB 31-05-2018 12:24 PM

+1 on the 5 degree front hubs. Also if you are running cut stagger on the front you can tame it down by going to non cut stagger which I find are much safer.

peterr32 31-05-2018 12:27 PM

I have been using cut stagger on the front. Could try mini spike on the front.
This is for carpet and grass racing.

mrspeedy 31-05-2018 04:11 PM

Try reducing the anti squat .. this can really make the back kick up over jumps .. and give the flex arms a go all round .. this was the best thing i ever did to my KF2 !!!

Navek668 31-05-2018 05:32 PM

You could try the stagger rib tyres instead of the cut staggers U6592 I think less bite than the cuts, I’ve got 2 kf2’s and have one set up for high grip that I use these tyres on and they just take a little edginess away, I find they work well on the Astro at bury and the eos carpet at MB

CARB 31-05-2018 05:50 PM

I put the KC wishbone on my friends and it softened the steering and took away the mid corner snap over steer, the KC is about 4 mm narrower on the front.

peterr32 31-05-2018 05:58 PM

Looks like there's lots of things I can try, just just knowing which ones.... or it could just be my driving, lol.
Consistancy is what I really struggle with, I can do a few really good laps, followed by a few really bad ones, with several crashes.

Navek668 31-05-2018 06:32 PM

I started out exactly the same, once I found a comfortable set up I just worked on my lines. I’m not an amazing driver but I get round now and crash a lot less, still find myself looking at the bottom of my car more than I’d like but that’s racing, don’t change too much at any one time try one thing then change back so you know the difference then try something else it’s always a work in progress.

MartynSpooner 03-06-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CARB (Post 988927)
I put the KC wishbone on my friends and it softened the steering and took away the mid corner snap over steer, the KC is about 4 mm narrower on the front.

This is really interesting and useful information for my KC setup. Thanks.

peterr32 03-06-2018 07:38 PM

Will be giving some of these things a go, Tommorrow night.
Monday night's are indoor carpet night. Very tight and twisty as it's only a small hall. Good for throttle control though.

Peter_B 04-06-2018 01:03 PM

I was/am in the same boat as you. A KF2 that liked to land on its nose.

I'm definitely no expert having only run the car twice. But first time out it kept landing nose first. In between then and my second outing I reconfigured it to the low grip motor position, so moving the motor and battery rearward a bit. I also ditched the drag brake on the ESC.

Second time out it jumped much better, not perfect but better. It was also less twitchy on the steering. Due, I guess, to the weight moving backwards.

peterr32 04-06-2018 03:43 PM

If you go low grip. Does that mean you have to use shorty Lipo.
I'm currently using saddles in mine.

Peter_B 04-06-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterr32 (Post 989085)
If you go low grip. Does that mean you have to use shorty Lipo.
I'm currently using saddles in mine.

Ah yes it does.

I didn't think of that as I've only run shorty packs in mine - built it with the shorty conversion from day 1

peterr32 05-06-2018 07:35 PM

Ran the car last night, indoor on carpet. Haven't made any changes as still waiting for parts to arrive, except, changed to short wheel base and put 2mm washers under the front camber link to raise it up
. I thought the car drove the best it ever had. Finished 1st in the b final, can't quite find those extra seconds to get into the a final.
Several of the a final drivers are running kf2. So it's not the car.
Looking at there cars, there shocks are all different to mine. For example mine rear shocks are on the inner hole, there's were on the outer.
As I say last night I thought the car was great, could have maybe done with a bit more grip, so i could push a little harder, but that was probably due to not having new tyres on.

Navek668 05-06-2018 07:44 PM

Have you had a look on the schumacher website at the kf2 set up sheets. I forgot to mention them on last post but bound to be a good starting point for you there for the type of track you’re running on.

http://www.racing-cars.com/products....bcategory=Cars

peterr32 05-06-2018 08:18 PM

Yeah I have seen them. I guess the issue with trying different setups is the lack of time. If i change the setup for a Monday night for example then, if it isn't any better there hardly anytime to change it back during the heats.
Also as the track is different every week it's difficult to work out weather your getting better or not.

Navek668 05-06-2018 08:30 PM

Know what you mean, I just picked a high grip Astro set up and then just changed one thing at a time changing it back after each heat seeing how it affected the car then concentrated on my driving once I found a set up that meant I had minimal grip roll but felt balanced and turned in how I liked, took about 5 meetings to get there but feel I have a good base point now and change depending on track condition each meeting, whether that’s battery placement, camber, wheelbase, springs, oil or esc settings, taking boost off if if a bit greasy or turning turbo up if decent straight, keep on tinkering til you find the right balance, it’s all part of the hobby