oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   I Made This ! (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Superglue + dining table = :( (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170077)

chrislee 25-07-2015 03:33 PM

Superglue + dining table = :(

Does anybody know the best way to remove a blob of superglue from an oak dining table without the wife spotting it? Currently obscured by a conveniently placed mat.

Hope the mat hasn't stuck to the table....

Chris

claymoreman 25-07-2015 03:45 PM

super glue

new table time

chrislee 25-07-2015 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claymoreman (Post 919986)
new table time

Hmm, think I would prefer a cheaper option!

eyeayen 25-07-2015 05:37 PM

Super glue do their own remover / disolvent ( is that even a word ) - perhaps debonder is a better one ?

Or get a French polishing kit and do it yourself.

Or man up and admit to it :o

adey 25-07-2015 05:49 PM

Ok well firstly I best mention I am a trained French polisher and I work for furniture village so i do know how to help you. Buy some superglue remover from your local hardware shop. Maybe b and q, not that many places sell it but you can get it. Follow the instructions but you will be left with s slight mark or a stain. To touch up the remaining mark you will need a basic touch up kit from places like b and q, it will be like a small selection of felt pens. Starting with the lightest shade first, touch up the area by gentley warming the area with a hair dryer before applying the colour from the pen. Do it slowly and remember to use the lighter shades first. Building up the colour to the correct shade. Hope this helps.

szymanski2oo1 25-07-2015 06:04 PM

Toolstation

Tool station do ever build superglue de bonder , I use it to remove tyres ... It's about £2 ish

chrislee 25-07-2015 07:50 PM

Thanks for your advice lads, I'll go see what B&Q have.

Cheers

Chris

Xracer 26-07-2015 08:26 AM

Acetone is the key ingredient of debonder but be very careful if you do, you could make it far worse oh so easily, could be a very painful and expensive and heavy earache lesson learnt, yeah we've all done it at some time I'm sure!!!

chrislee 26-07-2015 09:32 AM

If it goes 'Pete Tong' does anybody know how long it takes for a full set of testicles to grow back? Lol

stucartwright 26-07-2015 09:46 AM

I think it takes around three to four months for the testicles to grow back, but from experience they never quite work the same as the original pair....

Good luck.

(Your post is without question the thread of 2015 to date, congrats)

mr. ed 26-07-2015 11:43 AM

I've made this ... mess :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xracer (Post 920074)
... yeah we've all done it at some time I'm sure!!!

Not quite... but only due to not owning an oak table ;)

I take it the oak has some kind of protective finish which is very likely to get eaten by whatever you use on the glue. So, before attempting chemicals, I'd try a scalpel or shaver blade, sandpaper and polish afterwards.

Best of luck

danDanEFC 26-07-2015 01:53 PM

Any chance of some pictures?

Not too help you in any way so we can all sit round and say 'He'll never get that out'

Xracer 26-07-2015 02:50 PM

Ah you don't need testicles, they only cause you a lifetime of grief, well their contents that is, a pair of marbles would do fine!!!