oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Team Associated (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   B44 breaks out accelarating (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45122)

carborush 28-04-2010 07:15 AM

B44 breaks out accelarating

here's a small prob riding my B44 :
when accelarating on loose sand the rear axle tends to break out a fair bit
going from one side to the other untill i loose the throttle and the grip returns
i already lowered the throttle curve on my esc to less nervous, but the prob stll remains
mabey I need to check the diff's or something ? anyone has any suggestions ?

Timee80 28-04-2010 07:39 AM

Check the diffs as this may cause your problem but dont forget that the b44 is also shaft driven- you will get some torque twist from the motor which will seem worse on loose surfaces. Dont go too giddy on the throttle as well.

carborush 28-04-2010 07:47 AM

ah yes diffs but can u point me out on good settings for them ?
have no idea how to set them up properly...

less throttle works indeed, but if a better setup will allow me to get more grip...

Hog 28-04-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carborush (Post 371409)
here's a small prob riding my B44 :
when accelarating on loose sand the rear axle tends to break out a fair bit
going from one side to the other untill i loose the throttle and the grip returns
i already lowered the throttle curve on my esc to less nervous, but the prob stll remains
mabey I need to check the diff's or something ? anyone has any suggestions ?

It's not April 1st is it?

What were you expecting with loose sand - similar traction to what you'd get on tarmac?

The Pookster 28-04-2010 09:36 AM

In all seriousness it sounds like you need less throttle.

CODMAN 28-04-2010 10:58 AM

You can also loosent your slipper a Tad... That will help with traction control... As well as help protect the diffs...

mole2k 28-04-2010 11:34 AM

Lessening the throttle curve wont help at all if you just jam the throttle on full!

Loosening the slipper will stop the tail snaking about like that but it wont make it accelerate any quicker, there is only a finite amount of grip and sand wont have that much no matter what tyres/antisquat/diff settings your running.

rocketrob 28-04-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog (Post 371427)
It's not April 1st is it?

What were you expecting with loose sand - similar traction to what you'd get on tarmac?

:thumbsup:

Yup, that sounded like one of those "how come it hurts when I hit my thumb with a hammer?" sort of questions. :rolleyes:

Hog 28-04-2010 03:45 PM

My B44 keeps breaking when I hit the wall flat out.

What can I do to the setup to prevent this? Would harder front springs help?

PMSL :woot:

rocketrob 28-04-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog (Post 371540)

I'd suggest seeing a doctor, so he can diagnose what's wrong with your throttle finger that keeps it locked. :thumbsup:

peetbee 28-04-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog (Post 371540)

PMSL :woot:

If it's the shock shaft that's breaking, then perhaps changing to a different brand of shocks!
Alternatively look for softer walls :woot:

carborush 29-04-2010 07:48 AM

well the other b44's on the same track do not seem to have the same snaking prob...
so there's definatly something wrong on my setup
like I said before : going easy on the throttle helps a bit, but then I have to loosen it to much so the other cars start gaining time again.
In other words I have to go way to slow compared to the other B44's before getting grip again.
It feels like the front wheels are not working anymore and I'm driving 2wheeldrive, but only in the loose sand bits
@ peetbee, rocketrob and Hog : nice to see the many helpfull suggestions here ... :thumbdown:

so any suggestions on how to maximise the available grip by setting up the diff's properly ?
tighten/loosen front/rear ? which should be tighter ? front or rear ?

peetbee 29-04-2010 08:16 AM

Apologies carborush was having a bad day yesterday.

Are the other guys at your track not willing to share setups? Even if they won't tell you what oil to run in the shocks, then you should be able to see the rest of their settings. I would start there.

Alternatively, are you running a hotter motor than the rest? It may be the extra punch you are getting out of turns compared to them that's causing the back end to break loose.

There's some info on diff settings on this thread:
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...t=diff+setting

carborush 29-04-2010 08:59 AM

nobiggy peetbee ... apologies accepted:thumbsup:
engines are all the same on the track
big difference is my ESC is a TEKIN PRO, the others just have more budget friendly basic ESC's
So apart from the more ellaborate throtlle curve setting andwatnot on the TEKIN I don't think that should make much difference cause like I said I lowered the logaritmic throttle curve to more easing in on the low end. which allowed me to improve the overal grip of the car on accelaration.

most of the guys did notice the snaking prob in the loose sand bits and suggested checking up on the diff's hence this question on this forum

thanku for the link I'll read trough it and check the car accordingly.

Hog 29-04-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carborush (Post 371748)
well the other b44's on the same track do not seem to have the same snaking prob...

Quote:

Originally Posted by carborush (Post 371774)
most of the guys did notice the snaking prob in the loose sand bits

Erm - are you gonna make your mind up?

CODMAN 29-04-2010 12:01 PM

Things to check/ adjust (just my oppinion)
- Diff adjustment; the AE stock settings are very good, and you can adjust the front a tad tighter
- Slipper adjustement: it needs to slip a few feet on a hard takeoff. the slipperier the track, the looser you can set it
- Tire choice: are your tires the best for your track? And are they in good shape (not worn down?)
- Suspension components: check them for cracks. These coudl affect handling under hard acceleration (I had a cracked shock tower do this once)
- Punch control on your ESC. If your fingers are having trouble modulating power output of the motor, this can help you out a bit.
- Suspension tunning/ weighting the buggy: playing with all this can find you more rear traction, but will require quite a bit of effort trying things out. Weight towards the back, lighter or no rear sway bar, oil weights in shocks,, wheelbase, etc...

Just food for thought!:thumbsup:

carborush 29-04-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog (Post 371806)
Erm - are you gonna make your mind up?

dude they've noticed MY snaking prob
if you do not wanna help out fine, but then pls stop wasting time and space...:rolleyes:

@ the others thanks for the tips, i'll give it all a try and let you all know what happend

peetbee 29-04-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CODMAN (Post 371838)
- Suspension tunning/ weighting the buggy: playing with all this can find you more rear traction, but will require quite a bit of effort trying things out. Weight towards the back, lighter or no rear sway bar, oil weights in shocks,, wheelbase, etc...

All good comments, but especially the one I've quoted.
When I first switched to lipo without taking the weight back up to nimh weight the back end on my B44 was horrible, much less grip.
If you have added weight, then where? Initially I stuck weights on the top deck and the CofG was way too high, which made the handling unpredictable.
Again, check what the other guys at the track are running to get a starting point

rocketrob 29-04-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carborush (Post 371748)
@ peetbee, rocketrob and Hog : nice to see the many helpfull suggestions here ... :thumbdown:

sorry carborush, but as the saying goes "if racing was easy, anybody could do it - even chimps"
and IMHO you're seeking simple answers to a non-simple concept

but honestly, your question seems to be another version of the same old one in which every newbie thinks they're the next jenson button and is puzzled when their car doesn't work perfectly when they mash the throttle - when most of the problem gets back to proper "throttle control" (and know when to get off the throttle and when to modulate it instead of pegging it).
car set-up is one of those things that you're only going to learn through experimentation and trying different things to find what works for you -- as no two tracks are the same, surfaces differ from one day to the next, nobody has a clue here (since you haven't said so) what you're currently trying set-up wise or what shocks and springs or tyres or any camber and caster, and there is no "fix all" for everything.....

it still puzzles me why you haven't asked the guys at your local track for help, or is it that you ignored their advice and are just seeking answers elsewhere?

Chris Doughty 29-04-2010 02:41 PM

front diff tighter than the rear will help out.

compare how the other cars diff's feel, its impossible to advise how tight a ball diff should be over the interweb