oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bury Metro (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Today's racing. (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113660)

Howler 28-10-2012 05:48 PM

Today's racing.
 
A good day, but i think we need a little more help setting up next time, there were only three of us getting the stuff out and it's now much further away. And only the usual suspects putting away too.

Also quite frustrating that people take the finals results before you even get chance to see them.

losichris 28-10-2012 05:51 PM

yeah , top day, good track. my back is killing me now!!!

Maddy 28-10-2012 06:53 PM

Cant believe the bare face cheek on some people when were carrying heavy boards and the rostrum to the shed and there walking past us all packed away going home...
Even if they just put 1 item away it would be a big help.
Thanks to all who did help.

Gavin Collingwood 28-10-2012 06:57 PM

Good day, think next time there should be more like at leat 50% carpet if not more rather than 70% slippy floor and 30% carpet especially in hair pin corners.
But otherwise an enjoyable day

coleman758 28-10-2012 07:15 PM

I really enjoyed the track! The slippy is awsome!

Some real close racing between me & Gav in the final.

I must say I was dissapointed at the lack of Members helping to setup & pack up. Pleas help us if you want to race.

It's going to get to the point that the normal people will get sick of doing it.
And we won't race!

Gavin Collingwood 28-10-2012 07:31 PM

Just pipped you at the end pal, was playing a bit to safe at the end to make sure I made no mistakes. Paid off in the end. :-)

Howler 28-10-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin Collingwood (Post 708276)
Good day, think next time there should be more like at leat 50% carpet if not more rather than 70% slippy floor and 30% carpet especially in hair pin corners.
But otherwise an enjoyable day

More carpet can only happen if we get more help setting up and putting away.

Gavin Collingwood 28-10-2012 07:46 PM

Was there at half 9 setting up and To be fair I kept wanting to put carpet up especially in the double hairpin section but was overruled as "slippy was cool" in my personal opinion fast is cool as supposed to everyone crawling round a track.

coleman758 28-10-2012 08:04 PM

Fast is good, But we have been racing on high grip all year.
It's a great feature for Bury, Most other clubs are not allowed to use the slippy floor.

I thought the track was pretty good. Maybe one or two more pieces of carpet would have been good.

Gavin Collingwood 28-10-2012 08:09 PM

Yeah fair enough I only came back at the end of the season so i dont feel like ive had a full season. Don't get me wrong I'm not moaning too mug as I got 2nd in the end and I like the slippy but I think it's better in sweeping fast corners where the downforce of the wing help grip, it's just in the slow tight hairpins that as I pointed out beforehand that it would be better with carpet. But as long as we learn from that and maybe put more carpet in slow tight sections next time it's all good.

Howler 28-10-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin Collingwood (Post 708312)
Was there at half 9 setting up and To be fair I kept wanting to put carpet up especially in the double hairpin section but was overruled as "slippy was cool" in my personal opinion fast is cool as supposed to everyone crawling round a track.

Gav, i wasnt singling you out, just people in general need to help more.

Gavin Collingwood 28-10-2012 08:19 PM

Yeah I know pal, I totally agree

johnnygibbon 28-10-2012 11:57 PM

good track today good racing worked out a setup through experiments and a bit of advice and by the end of the day i was well happy with it
if you guys are struggling ask some of the fast lads for a hand they were screaming on the shiney bits
slippy can be fun driiiiiffffffft
and then rag it on the carpet
liked the use of the mats and other equipment
been discussing a wallride set up with matt
so if i can make it up for set up we might have an interesting day
i think woody said his old wallride set up at chadderton is still on utube for an example
they were top tracks

Chris Elworthy 29-10-2012 09:11 AM

E
 
Enjoyable day yesterday lads.

A concern regarding the track though is that many may not turn up to the next meeting as the large amount of polished floor will have been really tough for the young and less experienced racers so they will probably not have enjoyed the racing as much as the A-Finalists. In future i feel a predominantly carpet track would be a safer bet. The straight and sweepers are fine in slippy but technical areas should be carpet as it would reduce crashing and spinning out in these tight areas. I can't count how many times a car slid out in front of mine during qualifying.
While the track was good it suited u 6-7 experienced racers far more as we had the setup knowledge and soft thumbs to get around. While you say people want a change as they have been racing on high grip all year it seemed a little too much of a change in my opinion.
How much carpet do we have? Could we pretty much fill the hall minus slippery sections etc? Then lay the track on top? I know it may be a little more effort but I think it will keep people coming back if the bias of slippy and carpet goes on the carpet direction.

Chris

losichris 29-10-2012 11:08 AM

theres enough carpet, but not enough people to get it out and put away

Gavin Collingwood 29-10-2012 11:59 AM

There were people and I won't name names, who got there at nine and didn't move from the pits all morning until booking in opened and then were front of the que to book in while everyone else was building the track. We all know who they are and it's incredibly frustrating and just pure laziness

Si Coe 29-10-2012 12:49 PM

Several proposals were discussed at the AGM about this.

One suggestion was some sort of 'refundable deposit' as part of the race fees, returned if you helped set up or pack away. Not sure how we'd enforce that as I've seen a few people move a single plastic barrier and then claim to have helped, but the idea is sound.

One of the problems with track setup is that the guys that build the track build what they want to race on, which can be difficult (or boring depending on who it is) for others. Slippery surfaces take time to master, and if you can't cope with them things will be frustrating. Sections where people regularly spin out should be avoided.

The race controller 29-10-2012 01:21 PM

Results are on the website
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Si Coe (Post 708517)
Several proposals were discussed at the AGM about this.

One suggestion was some sort of 'refundable deposit' as part of the race fees, returned if you helped set up or pack away. Not sure how we'd enforce that as I've seen a few people move a single plastic barrier and then claim to have helped, but the idea is sound.

One of the problems with track setup is that the guys that build the track build what they want to race on, which can be difficult (or boring depending on who it is) for others. Slippery surfaces take time to master, and if you can't cope with them things will be frustrating. Sections where people regularly spin out should be avoided.

You're right there Si. Besides the whole idea is to improve car control and setup. Ask Alan Read, he had a really horrible day until he changed his tyres.
Lap times also show that the Fun Class cope well with the slippy even when someone crashed and spilled shock oil.
More guttering to stop head on collisions I believe is the only thing we need.
Flat hose is good ONLY in certain locations

coleman758 29-10-2012 01:43 PM

should have come and help setup Si :p

coleman758 29-10-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The race controller (Post 708528)
You're right there Si. Besides the whole idea is to improve car control and setup. Ask Alan Read, he had a really horrible day until he changed his tyres.
Lap times also show that the Fun Class cope well with the slippy even when someone crashed and spilled shock oil.
More guttering to stop head on collisions I believe is the only thing we need.
Flat hose is good ONLY in certain locations

The slippy surface will bring the young lads driving on leaps and bounds!
I was watching Tommy in a few races, He was doing really well.
like you say its all about control.

If you can drive on polished floor, you can drive on anything.
I enjoy the challenge. to finish 3rd just 1-lap behind Stu is a good day for me!


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com