![]() |
Tm2 v1 ball diff issues
Right guys I'm having issues with my ball diff. The diff needs to be tightened very tight to stop it slipping (too tight really) and because of this the diff it's self is getting very hot! Which in turn drains it of any diff lube and goes very gritty.... Something isn't right....? I've put new balls and plates in it too but it makes no difference?.... Can anyone help? Really want to try the ball diff as the car does feels more smooth than with the gear diff
|
Two things I had to do:
1. Remove flashing from the gear around the ball holes. 2. Shim the diff rings out as the 3/32 balls can be slightly small. Heat can be caused by the out drives grinding on the polyarimid gear.... |
Running a tight ball diff wouldn't inherently make it run hot, if anything, less rotation would make it run cooler IMHO.
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
The beige polyarimid gear sometimes has some flashing on it from the moulding process. Just make sure its smooth - use a knife/file/dremel to make sure there is no high points around where the balls go.
|
Quote:
I agree with you, however often the problem with this diff is that it is fully tightened down so that the outdrives and gear are in contact, but there rings are not fully in contact with the balls on both sides. So the diff screw is locked down, but the diff still slips.... and generates loads of heat.... |
Quote:
|
Quote:
It could be a Caster gear which also fits...... I have no experience of these although have heard that they are tough on diff balls which could lead to your problems..... |
The only way I managed to get the ball diff to work was with carbide balls and eventually bfast plates as the kit ones need to be replaced quite frequently..
|
I had to shorten the 5mm dia shaft that the bearings run on and also open up the bore to stop things rubbing that shouldn't have.
Then I fitted a gear diff and was in 7th heaven! :) |
Quote:
|
Quote:
The seating for the thrust race wasn't true either and I had to make a little spherical seating for the race to sit on to stop the screw head from failing due to fatigue. |
| All times are GMT. The time now is 12:36 PM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com