oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   X-Factory (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   X-6: Which upgrade to choose? (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16293)

General Accident 24-11-2008 09:21 PM

X-6: Which upgrade to choose?
 
I now have a mint 3-gear X-6 (thanks Jim) and want to convert to a 4-gear version. Is there much work in altering the chassis if I go for the 2nd stage upgrade, or is it easier to shell out a few extra quid for the 3rd level one that comes with a new chassis? I suppose that way I could keep my 3-speed chassis as a spare.

Also, is there a benefit to having 2.35 inch hingepins? What bits would I need to convert to them if they are a "must have"?

Body Paint 24-11-2008 10:42 PM

The 2.350 hingepin and the beefed up hingepin brace.

The pin is longer, which gives more support and helps to stop it bending and/or ripping out of the hingepin brace. The corresponding hinge pin brace has a lot more meet around the hingepin which makes them a fair bit stronger.

I would say it is a very worthwhile upgrade :thumbsup:

Body Paint 24-11-2008 10:51 PM

The upgrade kits appear to be discontinued in the UK, perhaps we need to consult the DARREN. ?????DARREN?????

bigred5765 24-11-2008 11:12 PM

we upgraded ours from 3 cog to 4 cog, (sorry Dan i know he hates that term) the chassis mod is no biggy really just a couple of extra holes to drill, and you get a fool proof template to use,

Lee 24-11-2008 11:15 PM

Darren is out looking for my wallet:woot:

matdodd 24-11-2008 11:30 PM

He will turn up soon he never sleeps! :)

Darren Boyle 24-11-2008 11:46 PM

LOL @ LEE (You fool)

Mat your not wrong fella, I wont sleep tonight if I dont find Lee's wallet, wont be able to feed the family if that dont turn up!!! LOL (Well done on the result yesterday fella :thumbsup:, you and the other lads all did us proud at Worksop!!!)

I was actually still at work at the shop until about half an hour ago!!! (must be mad), just got home, tucked the little one into bed, now here I am on oOple (def must be mad!!)



Anything that appears on our X-Factory UK website as "discontinued" means simply that it IS still available but only from our (UK and USA) current stocks. Once both the UK and US have run out there will then be no more and the item will be marked then as OBSOLETE for a few weeks before it is then deleted altogether from the system.


All three of the upgrade kits (we have named them level, 1, 2 and 3 for simplicity) have been discontinued by Chazz at HQ for a very simple reason........he is out of manuals for them!!! I have explained that they are still very popular for older 3 gear (cog) owners and are also a great way to get key spares of the very latest parts. He (Chazz) has agreeed to make one last batch of them and we should have level 1 and 3 kits on their way from the states in the next week or so, currenly we (at DMS) only have level 2 kits in stock, but I am sure that some of our dealers "may" have level 1 and possibly level 3 kits too already on their shelves.
There however is not sufficient demand to have another 500 or so manuals printed so once this last run is exhausted there will be no more of them, since we at X-Factory believe that "most" racers who wished to update their older models have indeed done so by now, there are only a very few left unmodified.


In my opinion the best value and most essential upgrade kit for an older X6 owner is the level 2, the 4 gear is almost essential, but dont under estimate the importance of the two piece bulkhead and carbon tower arrangement too, this allows you to share the same shock geometry as we all (the team) run here in the UK as well as being tougher too. As Carl has rightly said, the level three is just a new chassis too, all pre-drilled (two holes) for the four gear motor plate (opposite side) which is quite easy for you to do to your existing chassis with the aforementioned template that you get yourself.

As Craig added though, the new rear hinge pins are also blinding, they reach into the rear brace/holder far more than the previuos shorter ones which really helps to cure bending, coupled with the thicker holder too really makes what was already a tough rear end, near bullet proof...

The other option of course is the very latest X6 complete conversion which does give you everything that has been talked about like the 4 gear, new pins, new rear blocks, chassis etc as well as all new components like wishbones, wing mounts, battery strap etc to refresh your whole car, but maybe a bit over kill if you already have a car in "reasonable or better" condition.

Hope that helps,

Darren

General Accident 25-11-2008 07:02 AM

Cheers for the advice everybody. Thats my wallet a bit lighter. Darren, you have an order - hope this helps to feed the family in case you've lost Lee's wallet ;).

matdodd 25-11-2008 07:57 AM

Thanks Darren, the car was good yet again :thumbsup:

Wraggy 25-11-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Body Paint (Post 181450)
The pin is longer, which gives more support and helps to stop it bending and/or ripping out of the hingepin brace.

ha ha unless your me and do it 1st time out !! :woot::woot::thumbsup:

GRIFF55 25-11-2008 08:59 AM

We must be animals wraggy!!:woot:

Body Paint 25-11-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRIFF55 (Post 181540)
We must be animals wraggy!!:woot:

I would question that statement Andy. I think you're absoloutly correct :lol:

mark christopher 25-11-2008 01:54 PM

i know the x6 takes lipo, but are xfactory looking into a lipo chassis with no battery slots and a reworked battery strap?

Darren Boyle 25-11-2008 02:39 PM

We are ALWAYS looking at new things............... ;)

Mike Hudson 25-11-2008 02:54 PM

I just might have carbon lipo specific straps in the lines that I could have a batch made if there is enough interest ;) will be able to show prototype and possible costs very soon... but also very busy with 'other' parts that I am also designing for wider setup options for the X6 :drool:

Lee 25-11-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Hudson (Post 181642)
I am also designing for wider setup options for the X6 :drool:

LIKE?

Northy 25-11-2008 03:12 PM

Just stuff Ted, just stuff....

G

Mike Hudson 25-11-2008 04:23 PM

front and rear towers without the outer holes and new holes in other places... I'm half way transfering them from paper to cad at current

Northy 25-11-2008 04:35 PM

Answer your question Ted? :confused:

G


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com