oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   lipo with std speedo. (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327)

telboy 29-12-2008 05:10 PM

lipo with std speedo.
 
Eyup all.
This may be an obvious answer to this question, but, If you use a standard speedo is there anything that you can use to stop the lipo going totally flat?

eda 29-12-2008 05:26 PM

These work good:

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/li...ule/index.html

aeb4 29-12-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eda (Post 190768)

Can you use them when your speedo has a servo power coming from it?

ianjoyner 31-12-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeb4 (Post 190803)
Can you use them when your speedo has a servo power coming from it?

Yes I think so, they interrupt the throttle signal to the speedo, so shouldn't matter how any power is routed.

i4n 31-12-2008 05:46 PM

I use one of them with my brushed speedo with no problems whatsoever. I know it works as I deliberately used the LiPo down to the cut off the first time I used it but in a race I've never got any where near it cutting in. In fact, in normal use I forget it is there! If you go back to using NiMh you can unplug it from the Rx and plug the speedo back inti the Rx which by-passes it completely.

When it does "stop" your car you get a bit of warning because it slows slightly as the voltage drops and then the drive goes. The steering works fine when it cuts in (so if you're mid corner you're not going to bin it!).

There are other manufacturers out there that do the same thing for a bit less so shop around Tel (I got mine when I was in the US as $2 to the £1).

mark christopher 31-12-2008 06:47 PM

tel modeltech do one too

other thing to use is your head, when the cars drops off on power, stop.
i dont think there is any rule to say you have to use a cut off device!?

ben 31-12-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark christopher (Post 191366)
tel modeltech do one too

other thing to use is your head, when the cars drops off on power, stop.
i dont think there is any rule to say you have to use a cut off device!?

Nice to have a cut off there though ;)

migsy 31-12-2008 11:35 PM

servo
 
hi lads.

if you run a FET servo, you need a voltage regulator for the servo lead as when you nail your car it will turn to where-ever it wants to.

its like a wire coil you solder to the fet wire then to the servo wire.
the outer wire side goes to the servo.

hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Chris Doughty 31-12-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by migsy (Post 191465)
hi lads.

if you run a FET servo, you need a voltage regulator for the servo lead as when you nail your car it will turn to where-ever it wants to.

its like a wire coil you solder to the fet wire then to the servo wire.
the outer wire side goes to the servo.

hope this helps. :thumbsup:


if you are talking about a choke then its not specific to LiPo, I would recomend them being used with any 7.2v powered servo

Supergreg 01-01-2009 10:07 AM

I use this one. Don't know if it's available in UK though.

migsy 01-01-2009 03:36 PM

servo and lipo
 
i just find the choke helps as all my brushless systems dont have a located wire for the servo.

Ted Maul 02-01-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eda (Post 190768)

I'll second that, very easy to install and setup and works a treat.

SHY 02-01-2009 09:46 AM

Can highly recommend the Speed Passion ESC!

In stead of cutting off it gives a "stutter" when below min. volt limit, so it's easier to get into the pits...

jim76 02-01-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark christopher (Post 191366)
i dont think there is any rule to say you have to use a cut off device!?

not 100% sure for offroad, but there is definitely a rule in Micro Nationals that they will not let you compete without a cutoff, either built in the speedo or a seperate smart stop.
I personally think it should be a rule across all electric classes that allow lipo, even though in practice we won't use enough capacity to activate it.

I think it is more important at club level than nationals as this is where you have the lesser experienced drivers who may not be quite so organised at charging their cells etc.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com