oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Team Durango (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Old Durango restoration Project! (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76539)

Rebelrc 29-07-2011 09:23 PM

Old Durango restoration Project!

3 Attachment(s)
Hi to all reading this
i have decided to restore my old 2005 durango prototype and use it again
i want too run modern lipo's but cause of its history couldnt bear too machine out the cell dividing ribs, so i have had a new chassis made without them
I have put some pics here so you can see the new chassis with old bits next to it ready for re anodising and re racing...excited:drool:
Many thanks for reading

Rebelrc 29-07-2011 10:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
some more pics of how it used to look.....good days and bad days

Big G 29-07-2011 10:45 PM

Lazer ZXR hubs? :D

Rebelrc 29-07-2011 10:54 PM

TC3 hubs....all the car is either associated( most b4) or Gerd Strenge ( originaly) apart from the props are old schumacher items
cheers

Rebelrc 29-07-2011 11:11 PM

The New chassis was drawn in cad and altered by Adam Hampton....and he did an amazing job as per normal, Many Many thanks to him for his attention to quality and detail....its better than the original:lol:... the fit is outstanding.
and was machined out by Lewis Dickinson at VEGA/Team Xtreme so also Many many thanks to him also for his attention to detail....yes its vega good:lol:
they have both done me proud on a silly little one off project of mine:thumbsup:
cheers

MHeadling 30-07-2011 04:57 PM

Loving the new/old rango!

Amazing work by Adam H and Xtreme, I want my own CNC machine!

Looking forward to seeing going, once done it'll be too nice to race!

olefiloux 30-07-2011 05:10 PM

Really great job.. and very exciting to see such unic cars.:drool:
The "proto" durango is such a dream compare to the producted car...

How does your "Carbon yokomo" is handling on the differents UK tracks??

Rebelrc 30-07-2011 06:44 PM

Thanks guys
There's lots of unique cars in my workshop and yes oople is great for seeing rare odd things
The carbon is good thanks. Drives really well, shame I haven't any time for it though. :lol:

AiR 30-07-2011 08:33 PM

I wouldn't run it, if it is proto. It might be worth lots of money.

Rebelrc 30-07-2011 08:46 PM

It is worth alot.
I payed alot but still run it for 5years lol
As you can see it's pretty robust and if it breaks I have the kno to fix it
Cheers
Just think this is the car that put Durango on the map
Without this car no dex anything lol:thumbsup:

Rebelrc 30-07-2011 08:58 PM

I am going to re anodise the whole car , re resin all the carbon to look like new, vacuum form new body and battery holders etc to bring it back to as new
I will post pics here as I go ( if people are interested )

Rebelrc 31-07-2011 09:14 AM

I have had some people contacting me about if I will sell this car, it's not for sale especially to be some dust collecting shelf queen lol but if I ever do jimmy oople has first refusal ,cheers.
I did once advertise it for sale then broke a bit so took it out of the sale hope that clears that up.

MHeadling 31-07-2011 12:00 PM

I know what you payed for it, most people couldn't afford it!

Put it this way you could buy a reasonable real car for the price!

Good luck with the project, keep the updates coming!

Rebelrc 23-08-2011 07:04 AM

Been to busy to start to finish it off!:thumbdown:
Hopefully soon.

Rebelrc 11-09-2011 04:29 PM

I had a few hours last night so machined the kick ups on the new chassis, and pocketed out the under the diffs:) everything fits perfectly:thumbsup:Excited now!
I may even ( if I get time ) anodise it black tonight ( in my kitchen so wife will be really happy with that lol)
Hopefully when it runs again It will still be on the pace and I can get to use it at offroad wars yay!;)

captainlip 11-09-2011 06:02 PM

looks awesome rebel :thumbsup:

discostu 11-09-2011 06:18 PM

cant wait to see this bad boy back on the race track yet another rango to beat. couldn't resist see ya wednesday scott :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::woot::woot::woot:

Rebelrc 13-09-2011 09:16 PM

Thanks stu
Sadly the car won't be running tomorrow , but next week now:thumbdown:
I have assembled it all , to test fit everything and one of the last bits is to mount the motor, and I've missed a bit of milling (tiny bit) but now I have to take it all apart again so as to get it on the mill.... Boo!
I was really excited about running it again, but best to do it properly lol
Even fitted a brand spanking new one way....:)

MHeadling 14-09-2011 09:29 AM

Look forward to seeing it go!

Oneway eh?! Old School! :thumbsup:

Rebelrc 15-09-2011 08:00 PM

I did manage to get the car finished to a raceable standard and raced it last night.:thumbsup:
I ran the car with it's old school brushed speedo/motor cause it was convenient with the lack of time that I had and it was slow !(27t stock) verses the rest of the club with modern brushless 13.5's and lots of boost.
The car ran completely reliably
Now all I need to do is pretty it up a bit by making a new shell etc and re anodising:)
Battery straps were made from a pop bottle 10 mins before the meeting......recycling is the way to go.;)