View Single Post
Old 29-03-2011

How would you choose which one make combo to use?
Mardave doesnt at present make a 13.5 sensored motor or speedo which is what most people want and the huge amounts of testing by people like Gazza has shown to be the best option in terms of the speed and drivability.

I have raced with a speed passion cheapo motor in my f1 and gt at ardent in the winter series and have by no means been slow or out paced I have recorded the fastest lap of the meetings on afew occasions even and won a couple of rounds.
The brushless kit without the boost/turbo options are all very evenly matched and so you could spend as much or as little as you wish and be just as fast. You may already have some kit from racing before that you would want to use and you will be on the pace if your set ups good and you can drive ok.
Cost wise I ran a £24.95 brushless 13.5 in my gt last meeting that ive had for over a year from hong kong it ran great and was as quick as the day i bought it i would swear.
At the same meeting in mardave I saw drivers go through 2 or 3 motors in the day trying to find that edge now not everyone does this of course but surely its unfair to those who cant afford to do it....... but we allow it!!!!!! now these rules that allow brushless motors that will last years with no drop off so no need to buy a tray of g2's if you want to be as fast as the fastest guy down the straight and you guys are moaning???????? I would rather spend another £20-75 on a 13.5 from wherever and save myself the ball ache and extra cost of a motor a meeting over a YEAR to be on the pace with a g2.
Also with the nature of brushless the gearing becomes easier to hit that sweet spot as some g2's do varry in the rev range that they deliver best power. (although the 4 slot is better but still not consistant enough)

What about current racers who already have kit that for example maybe obsolete in Touring cars but fits into the new rules..... you would be asking them to go out and buy a new speedo and motor combo in order to race.... so on that side of the arguement it will cost somebody which ever way you flip it so why not look at these rules and see that while they are flawed they are flawed to allowed as many racers to race as possible.

I raced the mardave circuit series and loved every second but the turnouts were low and so couldnt find anyone to have a "good close race" with and that to me is key to enjoying a days racing.
So to me it would seem the more racers you have the better quality of racing for everyone is.
We can tweak rules and always try to keep things even but do that after you have to have racers to do it for and a large enough number of regular racers to get a general consensous on what direction and what tweaks if any are needed to this rule set.
So just give em a try as you will never know until you do.

P.s sorry for the essay length post lol