View Single Post
Old 25-11-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
I simply got tired of the constant work and spending required to keep the ball diff feeling the same run after run after run..

With the gear diff its consistent race after race, and yes although it may eventually leak its fluid out it never gets gritty or grindy like a over barked ball diff gets..

Seeing that the touring car community has gone to gear diffs im thinking the old skool thinking of ball for racing gear for bashing is behind us..

28$ for a gear diff, i run the thing till the outdrives look worn.. they buy a new one.... A ball diff would have been through many rebuilds that would cost more $$

Im cheap and lazy
The geared diff is a good tuning option if running on carpet with pinned tyres... on anything but very dry grippy surfaces it is a handful and is not consistant enough to be on pace.

A geared diff also still requires maintenance, the oil is under compression of the gears and also soaks the heat generated, which means it gets dirty and thinner after use... i would still replace oil between meetings as i would rebuild a ball diff!

There is probably less internal wear on gear diff components but i noticed the outdrives wear a lot quicker.

Remember touring cars are 4wd so the diffs have half the power going to them, plus they use lower power motors and use gearing to get speed... they also tend to race on grippier surfaces with sticky slick tyres and don't have bumps or jumps to contend with.

geared diffs work well in 4wd cars but i'm yet to be convinced that 2wd buggys will adopt them as a competitive option.. I don't know any Durango drivers that have tried them and stuck with them either.

A well built ball diff still the best competitive choice IMO