View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014

Default Getting back into it (turned out to be a longish post)

Hey Guys!

Just found this page and your website which is great because I just moved to Farborough a month or so ago and you guys are like 5 minutes away from my house... RESULT!!!

I haven't been racing for years, and then it was only carpet racing in my TA-05 in Melksham for anyone that knows that area. I got myself a Lazer ZX-05 back in 2005 with the intention of getting back into off-road racing. I used to race a Tamiya Manta Ray in South Africa when I was younger but that was it. But Life took its toll and the ZX-05 has never been used in anger and has only seen forays out in the back yard or the cricket pitch.

One issue I have is welll my kit is... well old!!! Currently in the ZX5 I have a MRT MX Pro esc connected to a 27T Stock motor (what i used to race on carpets with). I had 6 packs of 3600mah GP Battery Packs but lo and behold the years of disuse haven't treated them well and I think there are 3 I can use. I also have a HiTec Flash4 controller, battery is dead on this as-well... ... so you see I think I need...

Transmitter/Receiver (2.4Ghz to get with the times)
Brushless system and ESC (to get with the times)
LiPo Batteries and Charger (yes you guessed it.... get with the times)

Not going to lie to you guys I have no clue so i would appreciate some guidance on what you guys use at the track. I'm currently looking at:

• Core RC Code - 3 CH Stick Radio - I've only ever used stick radio's so thought I might stick with what I know, and this has allot better reviews than the 2 ch system, or should I get with the times and get a wheel controller??
  • So for Motor esc after reading THIS POST I think I know I want a 8.5T brush-less sensored motor and a suitable ESC but damn there are allot of choice, I thought to go with a Name I know Orion or Novak but I would appreciate some advice on what's decent quality but wont result in me having to explain to the long haired general!!
  • Battery/Charger - No idea guys some help would be appreciated, what do you guys use?? It looks to me like 2S is the norm but what about the rest of the tech stuff?? I've read THIS POST which gives me a good idea but what is the standard?
Anyway I will leave it at that, I will try and come down this Thursday to introduce myself and just have a look around.

Regards
Jakes