View Single Post
Old 28-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall34 View Post
Good spot Clint - it turns out that this is quite an important screw if you don't want to strip your spur gear.............. solved that problem .

Martin, i have run in another meeting since last posting - qualifying was good, with problems being driver error or body shell malfunction. Had some serious speed and i have added some brass to the rear - so it doesn't nose dive so easily. Xtreme sent me a new Bumper XC032 which also helped with nose first landings.
The finals however were a disaster, 5th on the grid. Melee into first corner got through to be second for 2 laps then i caught a marshal standing in the middle of the back straight, which snapped a wishbone ball joint......game over. Easy fix and ready for leg 2, similar start but got done after a few errors, lying mid field started to get my rhythm, then.......push rod screw fell out so no front right suspension - game over.
Two DNF's, and a little pissed off, new screw and cone washer. Ready for leg 3, this time a calmer start, came out of turn 1 in 5th, made no mistakes, but neither did anyone else it seemed, finished 5th.
So althought the finals were crap, i still really enjoyed driving it. I am getting faster as my 'Best Lap' times are coming down round by round. I can't blame the car for anything during the whole day, driver error and lack of practice (or talent) showed big time, I used to be a very aggressive driver back in the day - so need to get that back.
In future i will be checking all components between rounds and also aim to practice driving it more often (even if its at the local tennis courts with training cones).

Still glad i got it, and i love the fact that you can hear people talking about it.

Neil
Hey Neil, sounds like you have been having some fun! lol and glad you are happy with it! Its all a bit of a learning curve when it comes to new unfamiliar cars isn't it and you certainly learn new stuff all the time.
When i started racing in '08 i would happily just run a car regardless of setup and never change it for fear of the unknown. I have learned alot from other drivers since and to give you an example Ive run the X11 on a wednesday night for about 4 weeks in total (indoors on slippery wooden floor). We usually get around half an hour practice followed by 3x 5 minute races and so far since i have changed at least one thing regarding setup for every single run! just to learn more about how each change affects the car. This week i think i have got to a good place with the setup. Its far less aggressive on the steering now, its not so loose at the back, jumps really well and dare i say it feels "safer" to drive. It is an amazingly fast car and so far its been loads of fun trying to get my head round it. Just looking forward to my first trip out with it onto carpet or astro!
With regards to things coming loose mine is exactly the same but its just a case of checking over the car after each run (something i tend to do with any car to be honest) to re-adjust bits.
Keep up the good work mate, any questions feel free to ask!

Regards
Martin