Thread: Too Old for RC?
View Single Post
Old 25-10-2017

Default Never too old

I am 44 and returned to club racing after a 20 yr break a couple of years ago.

What shocked me was the speed and traction of the new breed of 2wd Mid Motor Monsters.

I was hard on myself for being at the back as I used to regularly A final when I was a spotty teenager. But the game has moved on so much with batteries that don't dump, better, faster, high grip cars racing on consistent astro. Its basically you are learning all over again.

A fellow clubbie at the time said to me some wise words- Its like golf Alex, you can buy all the kit you want, but ultimately it takes a couple of years racing to get to a decent level, and above all loads of practice.

After 2 years I am now starting to win B finals and actually starting to race 'proper' instead of being a trundling track blocker being lapped by all. I have made some great friends and regardless of how you do, its an evening of total escapism playing with expensive toys.

Have fun and above all don't become an angry man at the track.

Also revel in the fact as a older gent we are now more financially empowered than we were as kids, just don't be tempted to whack in an ever faster motor! Its getting round without crashing every lap and smooth lines FTW!

Oh if you can, use a wheel transmitter. I was a die hard old git stick merchant, but forcing myself to swop to a wheel was the best thing I ever did.

And 4wd sucks. Stick to 2wd far more fun ;-)
RC10 Worlds
RC10 B3
Cougar 2's
Topcat
Tamiya DT02 - use as a door stop.
Tamiya TL01 - paper weight.
Tamiya Mini - awesome fun to race

THR - Tudor-Hart Racing - Custom RC products - find us on Facebook.

SHRCCC Committee Member- Track features - design and build.

Returning racer after 25 year break - miss my Optima Mid Custom Special, but not brushed motors & SCE cells.

www.shrccc.co.uk

Last edited by Suzukitudor; 26-10-2017 at 08:59 PM.