View Single Post
Old 18-10-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
It is ten years since tyres were an open choice, so I am not sure if most drivers have experience of open tyres. I do. I used to carry four large containers of tyres to every meeting. For at least two Nationals of the six each year there was a new tyre I didn't have so I lost out and had to buy them after the event for the next one.

Tyres became obsolete before they wore out, and usually new tyres meant new wheels too as they were glued on and you never knew if the older tyres mught not suit the next track so you didn't take them off.

If you go back to open tyres history tells us that your costs will go up substantially, and the gap between the haves and have-nots will be even wider. Be careful what you wish (and vote) for...
I remember those days very well! I think most of the space in the boot of my car was filled with boxes of tyres back then.

Like BenH, I race in the East of England region & this year the tyres that were used in 4wd was just stupid at some meetings, at one I'm sure there were at least 8 different sorts of tyres on 10 cars in one of our heats Success that day came down to if you had the right tyres & enough of them to last the day.

So I'd say yes to control tyres in the shape of a small list, but no to saying what you have to run on the front, for example, some peeps don't like mini spikes on the front of a car weather it's 2 or 4wd, others won't want to be told to run a stagger rib either.