View Single Post
Old 27-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2222 View Post
Can you give me any idea of the number of hours running I might get from a brushed motor then before I need to change the brushes?
If you are just bashing around, there is no need to replace the brushes until you start having motor trouble. Probably you will get a "sticky brush" at some time (which is where the car refuses to get going unless you give it a push), that is a sure fire sign that the motor needs a rebuild.

If the motor is running fairly hard brushes (not the racing brushes designed for only a handful of runs) you should get a good few hours of use out of the motor before it causes you any trouble.

To get any benefit from a brush change the comm needs to be skimmed on a lathe as well. Otherwise the out-of-shape comm will just burn through the next set of brushes quickly.

Brushed motors still have a place in the hobby. They are smooth, driveable and cheap to buy. But I wouldn't personally bother running a rebuildable motor now, specific brushes are going to be a hassle to find. I'd just buy sealed can motors at less than £10 a pop and run them until they die (which is generally a lot longer than a rebuildable motor will go before it needs new brushes).