View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014
Mad Member

Cool Jamie Booth's 1990 Egress (Manta Ray/Top Force development car)

Ok so here goes

As some of you may know, Jamie and I have been talking over the past few months, mainly about the iconicrc revival race which took place on 27th July (it was fantastic) but also about the only remnant (ie car) that Jamie has left from his shining racing career, his 1990 Egress which is the subject of this thread.

This car has been discussed on TamiyaClub and RC10talk but hasn't seen the light of day until now.....Jamie found it in his garage and has kindly entrusted me with the task of rebuilding it into something he can display and remind him of them good ol' days - he handed me a red plastic box of bits complete with what I'm sure were cobwebs.....

Many of the parts are bespoke 1-off items which were custom made by Tamiya Japan for Jamie to test. The eagle eyed will spot the blue wishbones and alloy hangers together with the red knuckles shared with other models (Hotshot/2/Top Force)......unfortunately in a rare lapse of concentration Jamie smacked the car into a post and snapped it in 2....so far I've fitted a new lower chassis and have fitted what I have remaining from the top deck but will need another.......I was thinking of cleaning all parts but I think it's nicer to preserve the 'just raced' look and feel for this car.

I'd really appreciate all your input to get this buggy back to life. Does anyone have this issue of Radio Race Car from August 1990 that you can post in higher resolution? You can see the car in the bottom right of the magazine article in below pic. 1st Booth, 2nd Drescher, 3rd Moore.

I've sourced a propshaft from Jon Cryer (iconicrc) and have already bought some new wheels, he was using Schumacher full spikes so I can get some of those too (only need the narrow fronts, same as commonly used on CAT XLS). It also needs a wing wire and mount hardware. Terry I'm sure will chip in

Can any of you help the project with the following?:

Top Deck
Wing wire
Wing mount (clamp for wing with screws etc)
I'll buy a new shell/tray and wing and get them painted as per original car

I think that is all I need - I had a few transmission parts which I have used in my Tamiya box.

Cheers and enjoy this piece of Tamiya/TRF history which Jamie may well race again next year.

Dan

rowlandsdaniel@hotmail.com

Next to my 1989 Egress:

Darren Styles told me there were 3 prototypes given to the UK drivers to test but this car of Jamie's was the only one with independant wishbones all round - and it proved to be the best on track.