View Single Post
Old 28-10-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've got 6 Skyrc Toro 120's, had 8, killed 2, and a new hobbywing XR10 pro.

The Toro's are great, barring some QC issues that were popping new ones some months ago (I didn't experience this, but know of a few who did).
One toro I reverse connected, the second failure was after over a year of running in 4wd, and I exceeded its component tolerances, running a hot (5.0T, ESC has a 5.5T limit) motor on a very sunny day on longish grass, and it blew in my regional final as I was moving up the field. Yup it let me down, but I had my moneys worth up to that point.

You'll be surprised at how many other "premium" esc brands are based on the same platform at the skyrc toro, basically from the same OEM factory in China. Similarly you can buy cheap hobbyking speedo's that have been proven to be the "same" as orions, for a fraction of the price, yet people still buy the orions, and their warranty process has proven terrible for some, I've heard. Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRMoj1WDyEs

I replaced that failed ESC in my 4wd with a hobbywing XR10 pro, which should be good for the hotter motor, and has a "better" (than none with a toro bought from China) warranty through MB models and Hobbywing. It's performed excellently so far, but I could have bought three toro's for the same money. Whats the better value here? I do know that if i break it, I can send it back to hobbywing for repair, but is that worth 3x the cost of one I was very happy with? Basically I paid more so the chance of it failing again in a regional final was reduced somewhat, and if it did fail, I know i can get it fixed. That's also good value, if you can afford the much higher asking price.

In terms of feel, well, its subjective. The hobbywing is meant to be newer, more advanced and better performing, but I've pretty much got it feeling the same as the Toro did, which I was always able to get them set how I liked.

Most badly setup speedo's I've encountered at club meetings are user setup error in either the ESC settings, calibration or transmitter setup. Once setup right, they all work well.

Buy what you can afford, not what you think the brand will give you, and spend the money saved on tyres.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------