View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danDanEFC View Post
I wonder why their is a radio compound at Nationals when most are on 2.4?
It has been proven by the warriors of oOple.com - that if all those 110 drivers not racing at the time had their radios on, no one would be able to bind their cars. - not much chance of that happening, but there's certainly a limit to 2.4ghz!

I don't know of the brca checking for swolen packs - never heard of that. They don't check for over charged cells either - they only check voltage for reasons of cheating. Yes it's dangerous to try get the volts up, but that's for stock racing, not modified off road. If the cells are over-voltage it makes absolutely no difference to discharge them slightly at the race control. When they do that, it can only be explained as a fair-racing rule, not as a safety rule.
At what point is a stressed lipo safe or not safe just because it's being checked before going on the track. It drops voltage as soon as it's used whether that's on the bench at scrutineering or on the warmup lap - the only way you could excuse it as a safety issue is to immediately ban the person from the meeting for having a lipo that's over the normal voltage. That would force everyone to 'be safe' and make sure their charger was working correctly / the pack was safe.

I don't for a second believe there's any safety in taking an overcooked lipo to a tent full of people so they can stick pokey bits in it to see if it's about to blow up. You either ban people or you stop checking.

Personally I've never in my life seen a lipo blow up - I've seen plenty of NiMh's blow up and it is scary. But if my lipo was dangerous I'd MUCH rather it blow up on the track than in a tent full of people looking closely at it - and they are ONLY checking before you go on the track remember. There's absolutely nothing safe about it unless you confiscate packs (I'd wrestle it back if it were mine) or ban people.

Maybe I think about things too much - but I see sillyness then I call it silly.