View Single Post
Old 17-01-2017

Default Help required

Hi. I'm really impressed with the work you've done on your Turbo Burns. I would love to do the same with mine but I honestly don't have any idea where to start.
Could you help me out with this please?
I don't mind how you would approach this but I'm open to any suggestions.
I'm in the UK by the way.
Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexster76 View Post
It looks like I have caught the brushless bug. Today I finally managed to finish a Brushless Turbo Burns which runs on 4S batteries and a Team Orion VST2 Pro motor.

I drove it for the first time today and I have to admit it is ridiculously quick, although some of that impression also comes from the car struggling to deal with that kind of power (handling wise).
For anyone wanting to retrofit the old Burns and Inferno cars with brushless technology, I would recommend staying relatively conservative (as I did with my Burns DX). One does notice that these cars were not designed for this type of performance.

That said I am sure the car can deal with it relatively well as soon as everything is set-up properly. I will be playing around with the suspension, diff. oils and wheel/tire combinations during the summer and will post the results here.
When I started the project I knew that setup and strength would be very important so I installed the following options.

BS-20 Universal joint (rear)
BS-63 Stabilizer Set (front)
BSW-19 Steel Gear (53T)
BSW-29 Big Pressure Spring (Front, Hard)
BSW-30 Big Pressure Spring (Rear, Hard)
BSW-35 Special Tie Rod
BSW-36 Special Upper Rod
BSW-38 FRP Rear Shock Stay
BSW-41 Steel Shock Bushing
BSW-53 FRP Front Shock Stay

In addition to the steel gear I also installed later model Turbo Inferno diffs with BSW-1 and BSW-2 gears. I am not to sure whether this mod. was really necessary but I will run the car for a bit and will let you know. They are expensive so it would be good not to have to do this upgrade if possible.
The benefit of the later model Turbo Inferno diff. casings, is that the have a rubber seal which I wanted so I could use diff-oil (instead of grease) to fine tune the setup.

I would also recommend getting serial and parallel adapter cables. 4S with parallel will have more than enough performance to drive around the garden, local park etc.. while taking advantage of the longer battery life. When you are on a large flat surface (e.g. beach), where you have to worry a bit less about handling and hitting things you can switch to serial.

Based on my experience from the Burns DX, this time I covered the entire underside of the chassis with plastic. The conversion leaves a lot of large unused holes from the Nitro components which let in a lot of dirt and water. Even thought many brushless components are splash and dirt proof I would recommend doing this.

I used the traditional box art for the paint scheme but went with a Turbo Inferno-ish light green, and self mixed dark green colors to emphasize the "green" electric power plant. As always I used Fasmask and Faskolor paints by Parma which are great.

For the purists out there, I only use badly damaged cars for these conversions with chassis and radio plates that already had additional holes in them. I would definitely not recommend using a good condition car for this as it would be a waste.

Here are some pics. You can find additional pictures in better resolution by clicking on the link to my flickr account (below each picture).
Next up is possibly a Brushless Turbo Inferno and USA-1.

Kyosho Turbo Burns Brushless full option (electric) by lexster76, auf Flickr