View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markjtyers View Post
Hi guys,
I'm looking to purchase my first 2wd buggy, new or secondhand I'm not fussed. However I can really only afford to buy one buggy. From your experiences, can you tell me what would be suitable to run on grass, astro, indoors on carpet with some polished floors. Obviously indoors outdoors all weather. A big ask I know but your thoughts would be appreciated before I take the plunge.
Thanks in advance.
As Tony says, and has been proven, these threads usually get the "buy what I have" comment as people want to reaffirm their own choices.

Best advice is go to your local club and see what is used and what is supported.

However

What I would say is that for maximum flexibility consider the drive train of the buggy you want. 2WD come in 3 main flavours with different benefits

Rear motor - Motor hangs out the rear of the buggy behind the rear wheels. Traditional buggy best in low grip such as clay, dirt, wet grass. Best known examples Associated B4 and B5 but also Schumacher SVR, Losi 22 (convertible), Durango 210 (convertible) and Kyosho RB6 (convertible).

Mid motor - Not really middle but just inside the wheelbase in front of the rear wheels. Better all rounder but less rear traction than a rear motor making up fro that with better steering and higher corner speeds. Main contenders are Associated B5M, Losi 22 (convertible), Durango 210 (convertible), Kyosho RB6 (convertible), XFactory X6 cubed (conversion to a B4), Yokomo BMAX2 and Schumacher SV2.

Front Motor - Sometimes referred to as "cheater cars" these started as conversions to 4WD cars so the motor is much further forward as it was in the 4WD configuration. They drive like a 4WD with excellent front end, massive speed in corners but do work best in high grip. Most cars are conversions like the DB01 and 2 on a Kyosho, DB Max on Yokomo and the X6-S on the X6 cubed but Team C and Schumacher have bought out dedicated cars such as the KF and TM2. I would not choose a cheater car for slippy but for mid to high grip they are doing very well in competition. I have one and it suits me very well as I find it easy to drive as well.

Also bear in mind that the benefit of a car being convertible is not worth much as it is quite a big rebuild to convert them from one to the other. I don't know anyone who swaps them over routinely.