Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > North East

Old 16-04-2012

Default Getting back into Racing

Morning all,

ive been an ex racer since 1998, used to run at gateshead model car club when they were in the hall off felling bypass, but women and alchohol meant I left the sport.

Now im looking to get back into racing, went along to Dynamix last week and had a nice chat with a few lads there and thought i'd ask here what models people run in the north east.

I do not want to waste money buying an RTR or an older design car, its only false economy in the long run, so I was looking at a Durango DEX410 v3 however Chris Clarke gave me a look at his rather tasty Cat SX3 so after seeing that thats also an option.

What 4WD's are popular in the north east?

Any local shops sell spares for either model?

Once I sell my old YZ-10 and Bosscat I will be getting some kit bought and hope to be on track within a month or so, looking forward to entering the tail end of the regional series and competing at

If I wanted to run at say Tyne Met on a Monday, and Dynamix on a Sunday, would a 10.5t or 13.5t motor be better off? I cant really justify buying more than 1 motor initially so want something I can use for everything to start off.

Cheers all

Rob
Old 16-04-2012
Mad Member

Hi mate

The 4wd's you can expect to encounter are the Durango's, Schumachers, associated B44 and Tamya 511(i think, or it may be the 502)

as far as I know there are no local shops that sell spares but with the internet and some great retailers on the web anything is local as parts can be delivered fairly quickly.

a 10.5 in a 4wd is a good place to start and would be fine for both dynamix and tynemet however it will become too slow very quickly once you get used to your cars handling and most importantly when other drivers have better legs on the straights.
the 10.5 will most likely help you get round tynemets usually slippy floors easier as well.

Seaham which runs on Sunday nights is also a good club to look at if its not too far out the way and has a good bunch of friendly helpful lads and some good racing
Old 16-04-2012

thanks for the reply mate, would you recomend a 8.5t then and just being gentle with the throttle at first? I do not want to have to buy another motor 2 months down the road if at all possible.

On the subject of electronics, are their a 'middle ground' for speed controllers and motors out there? All i look at are either top dollar or bargain basement, and their does not appear to be a lot, new at least, for reasonable money.
Old 16-04-2012
Mad Member

an 8.5t would be a good middle ground as it can be dialed back a bit using the speed control or radio.

there is a middle'ish ground when it comes to speed controllers and electrics but it also depends on the car. in the durango for example space is at a premium so you may find that a cheaper speed control will also be larger which would make the install a much bigger pain.

I have an orca Qspark speedo in my durango. it's a fairly mid to entry lvl speedo, but it does the job it only cost me around £100 new, but if you keep an eye on the for sale section on here you can pick up a decent bargain, I started with a novak GTB 2nd hand from here and i'd probably still be running it if I hadnt been such an idiot.
I would definitely get yourself to different clubs and see what others are running in they're cars and try to pick up something similar for your model of choice.

then there is the ebay route and a product called hobbywing
hobbywing speedo's are the same insides as the speed passion(can even be updated with speed passion firmware) but cost a fraction of the price, the main issue is having to import them from hong kong. if you dont mind waiting then this is a very viable route
Old 16-04-2012

i run at tynemet and seaham and proberbly dynamix at some point, both my b44's run a 8.5t motor, i only run at club level so no BRCA legal stuff on my car, i use the package from hobbyking with motor/speedo etc...very cheap and its faster than my talent
Old 16-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasty boys motorsport View Post
i run at tynemet and seaham and proberbly dynamix at some point, both my b44's run a 8.5t motor, i only run at club level so no BRCA legal stuff on my car, i use the package from hobbyking with motor/speedo etc...very cheap and its faster than my talent
cheers for the info all.

you touch on an interesting point, BRCA legality. I do intend to jump both feet in to the regionals if at all possible, I take it these emply the same BRCA homologation rules as the nationals?

If so, from their lists, whats the cheapest/most cost effective items or are they all really expensive?
Old 16-04-2012

Tamiya TRF511 myself, Few run TRF502X's, Cat's,Rangos,Kyoshos But the best 'bang for bucks' has to be the second hand Associated B44 or 44.1 round the £100-150 mark for a really tidy example and normall come with a few spares/wheels/tyres. Posibly the Cat SX2 aswell as the new one just came out there may be a bargin to be had. Real easy to set up and loads of people with spares

If your going for new chassis then u got no end of choices but ask at the local clubs theres always somone willing to help with advice.

For BRCA homologation lists check this link below and items on this list dont always mean big money :-

http://www.brca.org/?q=content/homol...-updates/14218
Old 16-04-2012
Mad Member

Phills models in north shields can get you any kit spares or electrics from any manufacturer.
Give them a call on 01912728443.