Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Xtreme - VEGA

Old 08-01-2012

Default My X11-08's debut meeting

Finally finished installing the electrics into the pred last night, all ready for its maiden run at TORCH.
Took some pics incase it didn't come back in one piece: see below.

After arriving early to get in some practice laps (as it hadn't even been run on the ground before by me).
Quickly discovered a nasty knashing sound under braking. Sure enough i hadn't meshed the spur gear tight enough and i had lost a few shavings from the teeth (i have spares but more about that later).
So i re-meshed and went out again, but decided that as it was nearly endo-ing on the brakes that the slipper was way too tight which didn't help with the meshing issue either.
So after a while of umming and ahhing i worked out how to loosen it (don't laugh, it came assembled and i'm used to 2wd - plus the manual has know mention of how it is put together). Also a few speedo tweaks and we were ready for the day.
I had an absolute blast, the thing flys, tons of grip, all perfect and a huge smile.

Only one mishap all day was the threaded pin popped out from the front hub, after a hard landing - easy fix.

A couple of things to ask, that maybe Mark, Martin or anyone else can help me with:

Seems to be nose heavy in the air - i had some weights in the front (under shocks) which i took out, this helped but it was still nose diving. My solution was to gas it a bit mid air to lower the rear - any opinions?

Front bumper - has been cut down, does anyone know where i can get the new style one?

How do i remove the spur gear? - do i have to take the whole thing out and disassemble it (as i said earlier, there is no instructions for this in the manual)

How much lateral play do you guys have in the spur/prop shaft unit-mine has about 2-3mm of movement, is this normal or should it be shimmed with washers?

And finally...... Is the onyway shaft a good idea, i feel i can't put the brakes up full with the fixed shaft - opinions please...

As the car is I love it - so if these things can be answered it will be the best car i have ever driven. I did some really fast laps (for me) can wait to get it on the bench and tinker some more.

Thanks guys
Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08012012348.jpg (149.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 08012012352.jpg (152.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 08012012353.jpg (155.4 KB, 99 views)

Hobbywing Xr10 Pro - Savox -Much More - Sanwa

SURREY AND HANTS RADIO CONTROLLED CAR CLUB - SHRCCC
Old 08-01-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall34 View Post
And finally...... Is the onyway shaft a good idea, i feel i can't put the brakes up full with the fixed shaft - opinions please..

A oneway is probably not the best idea as you lose all brakes to the front and it can make the car a serious handfull.
Back when oneways were popular you udes them more when you were having trouble with too little steering but the tradeoff was always crap braking.
Old 08-01-2012

Quote:
Finally finished installing the electrics into the pred last night, all ready for its maiden run at TORCH.
Took some pics incase it didn't come back in one piece: see below.

After arriving early to get in some practice laps (as it hadn't even been run on the ground before by me).
Quickly discovered a nasty knashing sound under braking. Sure enough i hadn't meshed the spur gear tight enough and i had lost a few shavings from the teeth (i have spares but more about that later).
So i re-meshed and went out again, but decided that as it was nearly endo-ing on the brakes that the slipper was way too tight which didn't help with the meshing issue either.
So after a while of umming and ahhing i worked out how to loosen it (don't laugh, it came assembled and i'm used to 2wd - plus the manual has know mention of how it is put together). Also a few speedo tweaks and we were ready for the day.
I had an absolute blast, the thing flys, tons of grip, all perfect and a huge smile.

Only one mishap all day was the threaded pin popped out from the front hub, after a hard landing - easy fix.

A couple of things to ask, that maybe Mark, Martin or anyone else can help me with:

Seems to be nose heavy in the air - i had some weights in the front (under shocks) which i took out, this helped but it was still nose diving. My solution was to gas it a bit mid air to lower the rear - any opinions?

Front bumper - has been cut down, does anyone know where i can get the new style one?

How do i remove the spur gear? - do i have to take the whole thing out and disassemble it (as i said earlier, there is no instructions for this in the manual)

How much lateral play do you guys have in the spur/prop shaft unit-mine has about 2-3mm of movement, is this normal or should it be shimmed with washers?

And finally...... Is the onyway shaft a good idea, i feel i can't put the brakes up full with the fixed shaft - opinions please...

As the car is I love it - so if these things can be answered it will be the best car i have ever driven. I did some really fast laps (for me) can wait to get it on the bench and tinker some more.

Thanks guys
Neil
Hey Neil ! glad your enjoying your car on its first run! it looks very nice, cracking job with the install!
Just looking at your questions, as you may now im very new to the team and hace only run my X11 a few times however all the things you mention seem pretty normal from what i have seen X11's so far.
The play in the drive shaft is normal, mine also moves 2-3mm.
I havn't noticed the front end being heavy over jumps but having said that i havn't taken it over any huge ones yet and like you say a quick blip on the throttle will bring it up again no problem.

To get the spur gear off you need to remove the propshaft, im sure Will or one of the others will correct me if im wrong but i have found it best to take it out from the rear of the car first by removing the rear gearbox top and sliding the whole shaft backwards out of the front pinion. (this saves having to take the front gearbox top off)

And finally with regards to the one way shaft ive run one in my old X10 back in 2008 when i started racing but back then i didn't know any different and i cant remember what it was like. However i still have the X10 and one day i will put the shaft in the X11 to compare it, i'll let you know what i find!.

Like i say Neil, its great to see you having fun with it, keep us informed of how you get on at future meetings and if i can help with anything feel free to ask!

Thanks
Martin
Old 09-01-2012

Thanks Martin,
I'll try Team Xtreme today. I will also try and make a brass weight that i can fit to the rear carbon plate.

Should the mesh on the spur be tight? On my cougar i used to have a little play in it, but then it wasn't directly driving all four wheels.

Has anyone got an exploded diagram of how the slipper is constructed etc?

Cheers for the help.
Neil

Old 09-01-2012

No problem Neil, yes the mesh needs to be tight. In my opinion much tighter than i have run on any other car i have had there is almost no play between the pinion and spur . I have got an exploded picture of the slipper from the X10 build manual. Ill scan it today and post it up here for you.
Old 09-01-2012

1x X10 manual in PDF format
http://www.competitionx.com/pdf/vehi...x10-manual.pdf

if you scroll down to page 3 it shows how the slipper is put together.

Martin
Old 09-01-2012

Thank you Martin, that is a great help.
I shall be printing that out later.

Old 09-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Glad it went well (sort of!) stick with it dude, the cars awesome on high grip (Kev Lee won Stotfold national with the X11 )

Martins pretty much covered all the info above!

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 09-01-2012

It did go well, i love it. Can't wait to get out on track again.
Just been on the phone to Team Xtreme, ordered an anti roll bar set and some pro trak pivots.
I wanted to get a new style bumper, but they are not production yet, and the pre production ones have all been taken by the team drivers. So i guess i will have to wait for one of those.
Unless anyone has one they want to part with? nudge nudge

Cheers

Old 09-01-2012
oOple Tattoo Dancer!

i run my x11 in the stock class at york club and tqed and won the final the car was very good and i run it with the setup that it came with so will only get better with me making little changes
Old 09-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by footey View Post
i run my x11 in the stock class at york club and tqed and won the final the car was very good and i run it with the setup that it came with so will only get better with me making little changes

Awesome! great to hear you are all enjoying your X11's !
So far i have only run mine on a low grip and slippery wooden floor, im looking forward to getting outside or onto some grippy carpet to learn more about the general set up. What surface do you guys run on at the York club?

Hey Neil, sorry to mislead you about the front bumper! i honestly thought they were ready to go. I'll make sure of my facts before posting in future! Until then, if its any use, i have a spare standard front bumper which you would be more than welcome to if you wanted to experiment with cutting one back a bit further than you already have?
Old 09-01-2012
oOple Tattoo Dancer!

york club is polished floor and carpet
Old 09-01-2012

Its fine Martin, it wasn't misleading, they said they will send one to me as soon as they get them in. You have been very helpful, and i will no doubt be tapping you up for info over the coming weeks/months.

I hope to get over to Off road wars on the sunday for wander round. I was booked in to race my cougar in the 2wd but it has to go to fund the pred. I will say hello if do get there, i'll go on my motorbike so probably won't bring the pred for a team tune up.

Old 26-01-2012

Hey Neil, hows things? have you run your X11 since we last posted? just wondering how you were getting on really.

Martin
Old 26-01-2012

Send a message via MSN to clint

Hi Neil I just noticed you are missing a screw that goes from the motor moint to the rear shock tower.
Hard to tell by your pic's but do you have any weight along the center spine? if not you could add some towards the rear of the spine to help balance out your chassis for flight.
Old 27-01-2012

Good spot Clint - it turns out that this is quite an important screw if you don't want to strip your spur gear.............. solved that problem .

Martin, i have run in another meeting since last posting - qualifying was good, with problems being driver error or body shell malfunction. Had some serious speed and i have added some brass to the rear - so it doesn't nose dive so easily. Xtreme sent me a new Bumper XC032 which also helped with nose first landings.
The finals however were a disaster, 5th on the grid. Melee into first corner got through to be second for 2 laps then i caught a marshal standing in the middle of the back straight, which snapped a wishbone ball joint......game over. Easy fix and ready for leg 2, similar start but got done after a few errors, lying mid field started to get my rhythm, then.......push rod screw fell out so no front right suspension - game over.
Two DNF's, and a little pissed off, new screw and cone washer. Ready for leg 3, this time a calmer start, came out of turn 1 in 5th, made no mistakes, but neither did anyone else it seemed, finished 5th.
So althought the finals were crap, i still really enjoyed driving it. I am getting faster as my 'Best Lap' times are coming down round by round. I can't blame the car for anything during the whole day, driver error and lack of practice (or talent) showed big time, I used to be a very aggressive driver back in the day - so need to get that back.
In future i will be checking all components between rounds and also aim to practice driving it more often (even if its at the local tennis courts with training cones).

Still glad i got it, and i love the fact that you can hear people talking about it.

Neil

Old 27-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Glad you going well with the car, as with all new cars you'll have a few niggles but I'm sure the Pred will serve you well.

As for breaking a ball joint, better to break this than a wishbone....

One tip I have heard from an Ex Team driver was to boil up the ball joints in water then drop them staight into some gt85 and leave them to soak.

This gives them some more flex and are less likely to break.

I'm yet to try it myself but let me know if you do.....

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 28-01-2012

Quote:
Good spot Clint - it turns out that this is quite an important screw if you don't want to strip your spur gear.............. solved that problem .

Martin, i have run in another meeting since last posting - qualifying was good, with problems being driver error or body shell malfunction. Had some serious speed and i have added some brass to the rear - so it doesn't nose dive so easily. Xtreme sent me a new Bumper XC032 which also helped with nose first landings.
The finals however were a disaster, 5th on the grid. Melee into first corner got through to be second for 2 laps then i caught a marshal standing in the middle of the back straight, which snapped a wishbone ball joint......game over. Easy fix and ready for leg 2, similar start but got done after a few errors, lying mid field started to get my rhythm, then.......push rod screw fell out so no front right suspension - game over.
Two DNF's, and a little pissed off, new screw and cone washer. Ready for leg 3, this time a calmer start, came out of turn 1 in 5th, made no mistakes, but neither did anyone else it seemed, finished 5th.
So althought the finals were crap, i still really enjoyed driving it. I am getting faster as my 'Best Lap' times are coming down round by round. I can't blame the car for anything during the whole day, driver error and lack of practice (or talent) showed big time, I used to be a very aggressive driver back in the day - so need to get that back.
In future i will be checking all components between rounds and also aim to practice driving it more often (even if its at the local tennis courts with training cones).

Still glad i got it, and i love the fact that you can hear people talking about it.

Neil
Hey Neil, sounds like you have been having some fun! lol and glad you are happy with it! Its all a bit of a learning curve when it comes to new unfamiliar cars isn't it and you certainly learn new stuff all the time.
When i started racing in '08 i would happily just run a car regardless of setup and never change it for fear of the unknown. I have learned alot from other drivers since and to give you an example Ive run the X11 on a wednesday night for about 4 weeks in total (indoors on slippery wooden floor). We usually get around half an hour practice followed by 3x 5 minute races and so far since i have changed at least one thing regarding setup for every single run! just to learn more about how each change affects the car. This week i think i have got to a good place with the setup. Its far less aggressive on the steering now, its not so loose at the back, jumps really well and dare i say it feels "safer" to drive. It is an amazingly fast car and so far its been loads of fun trying to get my head round it. Just looking forward to my first trip out with it onto carpet or astro!
With regards to things coming loose mine is exactly the same but its just a case of checking over the car after each run (something i tend to do with any car to be honest) to re-adjust bits.
Keep up the good work mate, any questions feel free to ask!

Regards
Martin