Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 16-02-2018
Mad Member

Default How do people get sponsored these days?

Not wanting to get sponsored just wondering how it works these days. Back when my mum and dad ran a shop they used to sponsor people, but it was rare anyone was sponsored by the actual suppliers or manufacturers. Seems to be a lot of sponsored people these days is it the same deal these days?
Old 16-02-2018
Mad Member

Bit like getting a job
Prepare a c.v with your racing experience where you race and what you race what championships you are involved in Tec

Remember it's more commonly called assistance rather than sponsorship speak to your local model shop they will have contacts for most distributors

My son Mitch is fortunate to be assisted by Schumacher you can apply through their website again it's not always about winning it's about promoting your sponsor to help them gain more sales it's not just a one way deal if they are investing in you they expect a return of some kind

Helping at your local club or region always helps being personable and willing to share tips and setup s is mandatory

Hope this helps dave
Old 16-02-2018
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Most "sponsorship" these days isn't the sponsorship of the days of old. It's contracted customers. Basically you sign a contract to use a brand's chassis and buy from a supplier, either direct or from a distributor at a % discount. Anyone can get one if you aren't fussy about the brand.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 16-02-2018
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Been sponsored by dremel UK for the last 10 years, was simply right place at the right time, we don't win be we are good at promoting the brand.
We send regular updates and reports to them.

Neal is just bitter as he is a privateer
Old 16-02-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Been sponsored by dremel UK for the last 10 years, was simply right place at the right time, we don't win be we are good at promoting the brand.
We send regular updates and reports to them.

Neal is just bitter as he is a privateer
dremel, i know people use them, but random
Old 16-02-2018
Mad Member

Mark is right it's not always about winning it's about promoting your sponsor or brand
I received a new Dremel kit last Xmas was it because of Mark and Lee's stunning driving Driving ability err nope
Was it because I borrowed his at a race meeting and thought that's a good bit of kit maybe?
Also Neil has a point for manufactures it's a good selling tool to tie you to a brand by offering discounts ,but I don't think just anyone can get one
Manufactures and distributors are always on the lookout for new fresh talent the next Orlowski ,Karlsen as well as established stars

Duffers like me Neil and Mark can only hope to emulate Cragg,Martin and other aliens

Dave
Old 17-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Most "sponsorship" these days isn't the sponsorship of the days of old. It's contracted customers. Basically you sign a contract to use a brand's chassis and buy from a supplier, either direct or from a distributor at a % discount. Anyone can get one if you aren't fussy about the brand.
Thats always been the case as far as I remember. Very few people get their gear for free or receive any sort of wage, the vast majority get a discounted rate.

The benefit to the company as mentioned is exposure, brand awareness and trackside support for customers. However from a driver point of view it opens up more support, you get inside knowledge of car development, get the new parts before anyone else. Its definitely a two way deal in that regards.

I'm not so sure about this 'contracted customer' as with the discount offered to most (varies for each manufacture) theres not much margin in toy cars, so someone with better knowledge than me can correct me, but I don't think they make much money from B team drivers, if any. They could break even, so it costs them nothing to get exposure.
Old 17-02-2018
Mad Member

From what I have seen/experienced:

Shop support - generally friends of the shop or good customers that buy a lot get a small discount.

Manufacturer support - contracted and get a small discount, no inside info unless development or A drivers who get a better discount and some insider info. (or "special" friends)

Distributors - as per shop support.

Manufacturers generally give less discount to B sponsored drivers than they would give to a retailer or distributor, so it would be beneficial to them.

Last edited by Adam F; 17-02-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 17-02-2018
Mad Member

out of all the manufactures to be sponsored by Schumacher is the only worth while deal because of the consumables ie tyres IMO the rest don't matter as all the equipment is pretty much the same the help from so called team drivers is very limited if any
Old 17-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Yep have to agree with Neal here, back in the 80's and 90's direct brand/disty sponsorship wasn't readily offered.

Anyone looking for sponsorship yeah being a decent driver and knowledgeable on setup is one thing, but there is the promotional side to the agreement so you have to have the right attitude to present your sponsor and their products in the best light possible

Number5RC is now LIVE! http://number5rc.co.uk

Stockists of Schumacher - Team Durango - Xray - XfactoryUK brands - Answer RC - LMR + More to be announced

Follow us on Facebook for live updates and news
Old 17-02-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam F View Post
From what I have seen/experienced:

Shop support - generally friends of the shop or good customers that buy a lot get a small discount.

Manufacturer support - contracted and get a small discount, no inside info unless development or A drivers who get a better discount and some insider info. (or "special" friends)

Distributors - as per shop support.

Manufacturers generally give less discount to B sponsored drivers than they would give to a retailer or distributor, so it would be beneficial to them.
Surely Neil cragg or the current world champ.dont have to pay for their cars?
Old 17-02-2018
Mad Member

I said from my experience.. i don't know the world champ or Mr Cragg..

I'm sure there are a handful of drivers that actually get paid and another bunch that actually get free kit, but would imagine its very few...
Old 18-02-2018
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
He's an AE factory driver, so no he doesn't pay for his cars. Not too many have earned that.

Normally factory drivers need to compete at the highest levels and travel to international races, Worlds, Euros, EOS, Reedy race, etc. as well as represent their brand at the highest level in the UK.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 18-02-2018

Quote:
If you ever get the pleasure of seeing mr craggy race or even practice the guy is so good makes you feel like you driving round backwards.

He came and practiced with us last year before he won at Worksop and he had not driven for months over Xmas and the guy was so fast it was unreal.
On top of that he’s a person fit to carry any brand as has to be said what a lovely guy too

Last edited by fil9144; 18-02-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 18-02-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil9144 View Post
If you ever get the pleasure of seeing mr craggy race or even practice the guy is so good makes you feel like you driving round backwards.

He came and practiced with us last year before he won at Worksop and he had not driven for months over Xmas and the guy was so fast it was unreal.
On top of that he’s a person fit to carry any brand as has to be said what a lovely guy too
Used to race against him every month at regionals back in the day mate was a nightmare
Old 18-02-2018
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Used to race against him every month at regionals back in the day mate was a nightmare
And I bet you always won
Old 18-02-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakey View Post
And I bet you always won