Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 18-04-2012

Default ESC Recomendations

Morning all,

im looking to getting back into RC racing, atm it looks like a DEX410 v3 or a Cat SX3. Im not familiar with modern ESc's/brushless motors etc.

I don't want to mess about, and buy things twice, however i don't have an endless supply of money to burn either and am working to a rough budget of £450-500 for everything.

Looking at the BRCA homologated lists, I was thinking of getting the HPI Flux Pro 8.5T motor, can be had for about £55ish online which seems like a decent price.

I am now looking to get a ESC to go with said motor, and would like to get something that I can pair with a faster motor for the future, say down to a 5 or 6 turn motor.

However I don't really want to spend over £100 on this, and ideally about £75.

Is this possible? If so, what will match my requirements? Am I better off looking for a second hand one? and if so, what type/model etc?

They are very confusing things, in my day I had a Nosram Dominator HF, 3 pots to tweak and that was it!

Many thanks for any help/opinions provided,

Cheers, Rob
Old 18-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi fella.

2nd hand is always cheaper

Where are you based ? I'm thinking of putting a minty clean 410r up for sale as well as some LRP speedos as I've gone to the Orion R10's.

Could sort you out with everything !!! Pm me

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 18-04-2012

Have a look at the speed passion LPF, im not 100% on the turn limit but i think it handles to a 5.5 and comes with a programming card. Selling for £85 on MB Models.

Last edited by Fozzy1989; 18-04-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Wrong info
Old 18-04-2012
Mad Member

LRP are pretty good...check out their range. You can find them on the for sale section.
Old 18-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you want to run lower than 7.5 in 4wd I'd go for a 120A ESC as the 60A ones can be a bit marginal (as I found out last winter).

Look at the HobbyWing V2.1 (do a quick search and you will find them under the £100) and that will do everything you would ever want!
If you want a more known brand then you will have to spend a couple of quid more but the Orion is the one to go for if you do!

Orion motors are awesome but I have to say that I am always impressed by those HPI motors when I see them running.
Old 18-04-2012

hear good things about the new dualsky track and field esc SMD are bringing in
Old 18-04-2012

LRP make the x12 8.5t and thats £49.99 on JE SPARES
Old 19-04-2012

thanks for all the feedback. That LRP X12 motor sounds good, good price as well. I guess it is BRCA legal? Will check the homolgation lists later.

Is the LRP Sphere a decent speedo still or is it not really suitable any more?
Old 19-04-2012
Mad Member

Default Lrp

The sphere is a decent servo with good customisation. It goes down to a good limit aswell! It's not difficult to use either.

I have one in my yokomo bx.

Of course there is better out there, but do you need complex settings?
Old 19-04-2012

I agree the LRP speedo is a very good speedo, but would buy the Nosram instead which is exactly the same speedo just a different colour, but normally retails a little cheaper. Schumacher are also the UK distributor which makes for great customer service just incase you have any problems.

I've also run SpeedPassion ESC's with no problems and the LPF V2.0 is under £100 and I've run it in my CatSX with a 5.5 SpeedPassion v3 motor outdoors (astro) during the summer with no overheating issues, but you could go for the GT V2.0 which is suitable for motors as low as 2.5 if you want to be a little safer on the temps. Again distributed by Schumacher so no problem if you have any issues.

There's also the Tekins, another great speedo, just a little more complicated to set up than most, but good support from the main UK Distributor Kev Lee.

Telstar Racing owner Matt James sells all the above and I'm sure he'll be happy to talk you through pros and cons of all 3 and confirm prices.