Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 07-12-2014

Default 2wd 1/10 buggy options

Gentlemen, I'm looking for advice and opinions...
I'm currently racing a 4wd, but getting a bit sick of being in the 4wd minority, in this 2wd world. Thinking about getting a competition 2wd. I am mostly planning on racing indoors at Silverstone and outdoors at the glorious track A1 Racing have in Grantham, although I will periodically race indoors at worksop as well, and who knows what the season will bring? So, thinking something that works well on high grip tracks, but I would like about something that works well on lower grip surfaces as well - without having to shell out an absolute fortune on extra parts.

So, my long list is:
Cougar KF
Associated B5M
Yokomo B-Maxx2 (like that this has rear and front motor options supplied in the kit)
Kyosho RB6
Team Durango DEX 210

Any thoughts or advice gratefully appreciated.
Old 07-12-2014

Look into the VBC Firebolt DM, great car, easy to drive, parts are pretty cheap, I use the carbon chassis for lower grip tracks and the aluminum chassis for higher grip.
Old 07-12-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
Look into the VBC Firebolt DM, great car, easy to drive, parts are pretty cheap, I use the carbon chassis for lower grip tracks and the aluminum chassis for higher grip.
Doh!! I love this question when it comes up. While I am sure the firebolt is a superb car, what usually happens is that each driver will normally recommend the car they currently drive. Tintin had a long list, but now it is slightly longer

My twopenneth for what it is worth would be the bmax2 but I'd wait for any answers from drivers at silverstone or Grantham. Have you posted in their club sections - that will usually enable them to spot the question and answer specifically?
Best advice is usually go with what is commonly used there so you can get help, advice (and spares) if needed

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 07-12-2014

Thumbs up

Always good to get some opinions and options from people. I think a lot of the guys at the Silverstone club run Cougars with it being so close to the Schumacher factory, although there are a number of other cars as well. A1 is a mixture really.

Just interested in peoples general opinions really...

I run a B44.2 at the moment BTW.
Old 07-12-2014

If you have a b44.2 why not try a x6s or cobra b42 (both of which use b44 rear and b4 front)
Old 08-12-2014

Cobra b42 looks interesting. I'm Thinking it might be best to get a purpose built 2wd though.

Ashlandchris, how do you find spares availability for the bmax2?
Old 08-12-2014
Mad Member

Mb models is superb - loads of stock and sent out very quickly. Can't recommend them highly enough. Never really had to look any further than that...
I know the shop is pretty close, but I pretty much do all my shopping on line or over phone with mb.

Ps - I wasn't being dismissive of other suggestions, it is just if you get 5 replies you will get 5 different answers. Happy choosing

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 13-12-2014

Well the easy answer is actually anything Schumacher, SV2 for lower grip stuff or the KF for carpet. I ran a KF for a while and liked it, my kid drives an SV2 and is pretty good with it
Old 13-12-2014

Thumbs up

Team C TM2

Compositekit.co.uk
Trishbits
Old 14-12-2014

Glad to see there's a clear winner emerging! Haha!
Keep em coming chaps!
Old 20-12-2014

Well, for A1 Racing in the hands of an average driver/novice driver conventional mid motor works well come rain or shine.
Motor forward cars work well on a warm summer day, but when it's damp/cold because of the type of astro at A1, they're not as easy to drive.
Indoors depends on surface, but again Worksop is a lower grip surface so mid motor will be fine.
The KF is a good car, but in its current form wants a lot of extra parts to make it work on medium/lower grip.
Nobody really runs a B5M on a club night at A1 so parts/support might be limited.
I run an RB6 which I find very easy to drive and very strong, and if driven well about as fast as a KF on A1.
A few run the 210, again decent car let down by parts support in a few cases.
Bmax2, nicely made, but nobody runs one at A1 so same issues as the B5M.
Depends what you fancy really and how confident you are on your own setup skills.
Why not come and have a closer nosey on a club night on what regulars run and what takes your fancy?
Most would be happy to let you have a nosey and maybe even a drive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinontour View Post
Gentlemen, I'm looking for advice and opinions...
I'm currently racing a 4wd, but getting a bit sick of being in the 4wd minority, in this 2wd world. Thinking about getting a competition 2wd. I am mostly planning on racing indoors at Silverstone and outdoors at the glorious track A1 Racing have in Grantham, although I will periodically race indoors at worksop as well, and who knows what the season will bring? So, thinking something that works well on high grip tracks, but I would like about something that works well on lower grip surfaces as well - without having to shell out an absolute fortune on extra parts.

So, my long list is:
Cougar KF
Associated B5M
Yokomo B-Maxx2 (like that this has rear and front motor options supplied in the kit)
Kyosho RB6
Team Durango DEX 210

Any thoughts or advice gratefully appreciated.
Old 20-12-2014

Yokomo YZ2 is the car for this year

http://l-m-racing.co.uk/products/ind...product_id=473
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 20-12-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinontour View Post
Cobra b42 looks interesting. I'm Thinking it might be best to get a purpose built 2wd though.
Nah, I'm running the durango based cobra 4210. Even with a load of worn bits and not actually set up at all it drives as well as the 210.
I just threw it together with what I had, including a set of 410 shocks (oil, pistons and springs already fitted).

Only downside is if you don't already have both donor cars.
Old 02-01-2015

Save your money and convert your current 4WD car into 2wd??