Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 21-01-2016

Default Would you change anything listed here?

Looking to get back into the hobby after 20 plus years away.

Looking for a full used setup if possible but been thinking of saving some money up & going for new. I like the idea building process & think it good knowing what goes where!

I've complied a shopping list & would appreciate any good/bad feedback.
Feel free to recommend any particular bits that I may have forgot or that could improve things.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (298.1 KB, 182 views)
Old 21-01-2016
Mad Member

Instead of buying the block saddle lipo get a actual set of saddle lipo's, will make it easier in the future if u change cars for different battery layouts.

If ur spending around £76 on speedo an motor combo id suggest getting a speed passion reventon r combo, comes with a setting box an they are a lot more tunable and common. Its also sensored so getting on the power will be smoother

Last edited by K-Brewer; 21-01-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 21-01-2016
oOple Advertiser

Hi,

Before you order tyres, are you going to run at local club?
Check what tyres / inserts they use and order the same.

MiCk B. :-)

http://www.p-dubracing.co.uk
(Stocking: 8Racing / AVID / GHEA / Xpert Racing / Factory R/C / Alton Design Innovations)

http://www.msdmodels.ie/
(Trackside and on-line RC supplies.)

Old 21-01-2016

Also, check prices at other shops. Could save a tenner on the kit price straight off.

Xray XB2 '18
Xray XB4 '18
Old 21-01-2016

Skip that ESC/motor combo go with K-Brewer's suggestion and get the reventon combo. You never want to go sensorless unless you never intend to go to a track.
Old 21-01-2016

Any particular saddle lipos you would recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Brewer View Post
Instead of buying the block saddle lipo get a actual set of saddle lipo's, will make it easier in the future if u change cars for different battery layouts.

If ur spending around £76 on speedo an motor combo id suggest getting a speed passion reventon r combo, comes with a setting box an they are a lot more tunable and common. Its also sensored so getting on the power will be smoother
Old 21-01-2016

Look on hobbyking for turnigy saddle lipos could get 2 sets for the same price as 1 block lipo
Also take a look at the turnigy track star turbo range really good when I ran them
Also don't forget front tyres and some tools hex drivers and nut drivers
Old 21-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by leestokey View Post
Look on hobbyking for turnigy saddle lipos could get 2 sets for the same price as 1 block lipo
Also take a look at the turnigy track star turbo range really good when I ran them
Also don't forget front tyres and some tools hex drivers and nut drivers
Turnigy lipo's are easily the best bang for your buck! I like the 5100 65c saddles, I also have a set of 4850 50c's and they are really nice also.
Old 22-01-2016

Not sure if this of any help to you but there is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Absima-CR3...3D221985972918
Its the next one up from that radio in the pic for just £10 more, I heard the receivers by hobbywing work (there like a £5 if i remember correctly with this not sure about which ones but i am sure someone on here will know.
Like other people have said shop around MB models have that kit posted for £10 less.

Happy shopping, post again with an update

p.s an aluminum front pin brace may be a good option, I have the b5m and have found that the plastic pin brace edges can crack in a crash putting all the strain on the bulkhead which breaks the bulkhead. Broke 3 bulkheads this way (only real weak point ive found with b5m) switched to aluminum one 6 months ago haven't broke one since. jconcepts do one for £9 ish team associated do one foe around £11.

P.P.S not sure if this is useful or not to you just found it other day http://site.petitrc.com/setup/associ...upGuide201503/
Old 22-01-2016
Mad Member

The Absima radio you have selected is easy to use and reliable - my son has one and it causes no problems...
but, if you can spend a little more and get the Absima CR3P radio, it has much more programmable options. I used one for 18months and found it to be brilliant. Easy to use, expo adjustment which alters the sensitivity of the responses (in simple terms), end point adjustment, servo reversing etc.
You may think you don't need those things, but once I found what they did then they all made my car much more drivable.

However, does the 2 channel Absima work well? Yes it does. Is the 3 channel model better? Yes it is :-)

PS - the foam grip on the wheel does perish over time so be aware that you may need to replace or wrap some tape around it (if that bothers you)

Just looked and the CR3P is only £10 more so use the money you save on the kit and batteries (from other advice above) and get a slightly better radio.

FYI, I recently switched to a 10 * more expensive Sanwa (as my wife wanted to buy me a birthday present), but between you and me, I can barely tell the difference. Also the sanwa receivers are ~£50-60 a pop, while the absima ones are <£10.
I'm sure there will be those who are of a standard to notice the nano seconds of faster response etc, but not me

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...

Last edited by Ashlandchris; 22-01-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 22-01-2016

If you buy the Hobbyking Turnigy lipos make sure you get the Turnigy 'Ultimate' variety as I believe these are the ones that are BRCA approved. The others work fine but you can't use them at BRCA sanctioned events.
Old 22-01-2016

Default Lipos

Go Shorties with your lipos. More futureproof for different buggies - most modern buggies use Shorties now in their layout. Ie: YZ2, KF2, TLR 22-3 and so on.
RC10 Worlds
RC10 B3
Cougar 2's
Topcat
Tamiya DT02 - use as a door stop.
Tamiya TL01 - paper weight.
Tamiya Mini - awesome fun to race

THR - Tudor-Hart Racing - Custom RC products - find us on Facebook.

SHRCCC Committee Member- Track features - design and build.

Returning racer after 25 year break - miss my Optima Mid Custom Special, but not brushed motors & SCE cells.

www.shrccc.co.uk

Old 22-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukitudor View Post
Go Shorties with your lipos. More futureproof for different buggies - most modern buggies use Shorties now in their layout. Ie: YZ2, KF2, TLR 22-3 and so on.
Actually forgot about this, I ran saddles for a while at first changed to shorties, the ability to adjust weight distribution by moving the battery is a good way to tune your car for track conditions.
Old 26-01-2016

If your budget is £400, then spend at least half of that on the radio and a fast servo to give you the best chance of keeping it under control. The cheaper radios have horrendous lag. The speed passion reventon s 13.5 combo for £55 is plenty. A £20 saddle pack/shorty and £15 lipo charger from hobbyking. £15 on tyres. That leaves around £100 for the rolling chassis, second hand is the best option but new kits can be bought for this if you shop around.
Old 26-01-2016

Any particular radio you would recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200sx View Post
If your budget is £400, then spend at least half of that on the radio and a fast servo to give you the best chance of keeping it under control. The cheaper radios have horrendous lag. The speed passion reventon s 13.5 combo for £55 is plenty. A £20 saddle pack/shorty and £15 lipo charger from hobbyking. £15 on tyres. That leaves around £100 for the rolling chassis, second hand is the best option but new kits can be bought for this if you shop around.
Old 26-01-2016

If you're happy to buy from abroad then the KO EX2 KIY for £160. If you want to buy from the UK then either the Sanwa MXV £100 (safe choice) or the bargain and even faster Hitec Aggressor SRX PRO (the best budget radio bar none for performance) £85. Unfortunately the MT4/MT4s/M11/M12/EX10/EX1 etc are all well over £200 but can be had for less than that second hand.

For the servo - look for an Xpert LV (any model will do), brushless, fast, strong and with low current draw, about £50-60.
Old 26-01-2016

Thanks, I'll check them out 👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200sx View Post
If you're happy to buy from abroad then the KO EX2 KIY for £160. If you want to buy from the UK then either the Sanwa MXV £100 (safe choice) or the bargain and even faster Hitec Aggressor SRX PRO (the best budget radio bar none for performance) £85. Unfortunately the MT4/MT4s/M11/M12/EX10/EX1 etc are all well over £200 but can be had for less than that second hand.

For the servo - look for an Xpert LV (any model will do), brushless, fast, strong and with low current draw, about £50-60.