Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 28-09-2011

Default Basic do's and don'ts

Hello fellow RC nuts,

Just a couple of questions from an oOple newbie as regards all this Lipo, brushless, digital servos etc etc. I am returning to RC Racing at a club level after a break of 18 years, but I really need a hand understanding all the new technology available.

Can someone answer these questions for me.

1. Is there any electrical do's and don'ts I need to know before I get underway updating my equipment?

2. Can I run a digital servo from my old 40Mhz Futaba FP-R103F (non PCM) receiver or do I need to update it?

3. Can I run my old Tekin 411P with Lipo's but with an old style brushed motor or do I have to stick with the brushless and Lipo's together?

4. Are the 2.4Ghz systems now available better/faster than the old 40Mhz handsets now?

5. I'm really prefer the stick controlers over the pistol/wheel transmiters of now a days, can someone recommend me a good, comfy, quality stick transmitter available to buy today?

Thanks for reading,

Cheers

Paul
RB6 MM, Carbon RB6 RM & RB5 MCS #18

www.sdrcc.co.uk & www.grampianrcc.co.uk
Old 28-09-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

lipo will work with any brushed motor and speedo

electrial donts

dont connect red to black and black to bang

use a lipo charger for lipo, dont discharge them below 6 volts and use a voltage cut off, charge them at 1 c ( 5000mah pack would be 5 amps, 4000 = 4 amps)
2.4 some say not as fast but alot less chance of clashes or interferance

not sure on your other questions
Old 28-09-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
Hello fellow RC nuts,

Just a couple of questions from an oOple newbie as regards all this Lipo, brushless, digital servos etc etc. I am returning to RC Racing at a club level after a break of 18 years, but I really need a hand understanding all the new technology available.

Can someone answer these questions for me.

1. Is there any electrical do's and don'ts I need to know before I get underway updating my equipment?not really

2. Can I run a digital servo from my old 40Mhz Futaba FP-R103F (non PCM) receiver or do I need to update it?i would update to a digital hand set, some do some dont.

3. Can I run my old Tekin 411P with Lipo's but with an old style brushed motor or do I have to stick with the brushless and Lipo's together?you can but you'll need a lipo cut of switch

4. Are the 2.4Ghz systems now available better/faster than the old 40Mhz handsets now? better yes faster hmm debatable

5. I'm really prefer the stick controllers over the pistol/wheel transmitters of now a days, can someone recommend me a good, comfy, quality stick transmitter available to buy today?KO are great futaba or OK as well

Thanks for reading,

Cheers

Paul
see above in red
Old 28-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
electrial donts

dont connect red to black and black to bang
i almost found that out the hard way, so now my other half puts black tape on the side of the battery where the black wire goes to make it obvious (think he was getting annoyed with me asking him every 2 secs lol)
Old 28-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybean66 View Post
i almost found that out the hard way, so now my other half puts black tape on the side of the battery where the black wire goes to make it obvious (think he was getting annoyed with me asking him every 2 secs lol)
This is why i always have my battery wires cut to exactly the right length, you physically cant connect it round the wrong way then.

Radio wise, I still run a 40mhz KO esprit 2, with so many people having moved to 2.4 now i rarely have to change crystals anymore, infact i cant really remember the last time i had to change!

LiPo's are great! run the same pack all day just topping it up between runs, as mentioned you should run a low voltage cut off for peace of mind but to be honest as long as you do top up the charge after each run you're very unlikely to drop below 6v anyway. Use a Lipo charger and get a lipo bag too, brca sanctioned events require you to charge with the battery in a lipo bag, and alot of clubs will ask for this to be done at club meets too.
Old 29-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBurgess View Post
This is why i always have my battery wires cut to exactly the right length, you physically cant connect it round the wrong way then.
yer he has done that for me too, so if i do ever blow stuff up he has the permission to kick me in the kneecaps for being insanely stupid lol
Old 29-09-2011

Quote:
I did that, then my next lipo had the ports the other way round

SilverstoneRCMCC
Old 29-09-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Use a Lipo charger and get a lipo bag too, brca sanctioned events require you to charge with the battery in a lipo bag, and alot of clubs will ask for this to be done at club meets too.
ALL BRCA affiliated clubs need to run this rule, without it, they are not complying with the rules regarding the insurance cover that the BRCA provides.

I personally don't entirely agree with there use, but I don't want to start a debate on that either...current BRCA general rules state it as a requirement, therefore it's not optional, no mater what your personal opinion is!!!

As for the original question...go Brushless and lipo from the start, you will not regret it...no motor maintenance, no fuss, no hassle...just lots of consistent efficient power in every race...it might look expensive in the beginning..but really...it'll save you money and your time long term!
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 29-09-2011

Thanks to all who have taken the time to post.

It does look like i'd be better off replacing the Ni-cads and brushed motors then. I've got a few motor/ESC combo's on order now. I'm looking forward to running them shortly.

Anyone know if I can run with my old handset? Can I just buy a digital reciever to work with it and digital servos or do I have to upgrade to a digital handset and matching reciever together?

Also, with the 2.4 Ghz stuff, will any reciever work with any handset?

Old 29-09-2011
Mad Member

most digital servos will still run with any receiver some
have experienced "glitching" issues which often requires a power capacitor plugging into a spare receiver socket

most 2.4 ghz sets are brand specific and receivers will not work with other brand transmitters although im sure there will be exceptions

if you have a decent tx already i would hesitate before i change it

regards dave
Old 30-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidspeed View Post
most digital servos will still run with any receiver some
have experienced "glitching" issues which often requires a power capacitor plugging into a spare receiver socket

most 2.4 ghz sets are brand specific and receivers will not work with other brand transmitters although im sure there will be exceptions

if you have a decent tx already i would hesitate before i change it

regards dave
Well I still have my old JR Apex handset from 19oatcake and I don't want to give it up just yet. Thanks for the advice with the power capacitor, I'll try one of those first.