Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 07-05-2013
Mad Member

Cool RC10 Gold Pan Re-Release??!!

Yes it seems there are some credible rumours flying around of a Re-Release by Associated of the original RC10!!

How cool would it be to run a Vintage (2013) RC10 class in off road!

The June 2013 issue of R/C Car Action, on the inside cover 2 pages, has the original RC10 advert with no other text - I loaded the online version (you can too) by following this linky:

http://www.rccaraction-digital.com/r.../july_2013#pg2

This would be so cool if true!

Maybe it's linked to Craig running an original RC10 at some big races recently??

Dan

Old 07-05-2013
Mad Member

That'd be just awesome!

I have one, but not too keen on abusing it... but a re-re!

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 07-05-2013
Mad Member

More discussion here:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31102
Old 07-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHY View Post
That'd be just awesome!

I have one, but not too keen on abusing it... but a re-re!
Not me. Build it and race it. In my view it is an iconic racing buggy that is at home on a track and I would race it everywhere i could. I wouldn't of thought associated would struggle to sell them either.
Old 07-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Would be interesting, but which version?!

The picture in the advert is of the original - so would you want short front wishbones, shorter bottom load shocks & dogbones with a 6 gear gearbox or a re-release team/worlds?!

If I was going to run it (and I would) then I'd be happy with the former as I've already built the latter!!
Old 07-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

TBH I'd not want a short arm with the 3 piece wheels. Yes I know thats the original spec but when I got my first RC10 (around '88) those parts went in the bin during the assembly stage.
The definitive RC10 at least has the wider arms even if thats not how any kit before the Champ edition came.

I'd happily buy a re-re either way, but like my original I'd never build it with the short front arms.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 07-05-2013

I would be running one if it ever comes out as I love running vintage cars
Old 07-05-2013
Mad Member

Never really been into vintage or re-release stuff myself despite being old enough to have raced when Rough Riders ruled. I do admire the pictures of the great stuff people manage to restore and collect but never really had a great desire to own them myself.

However this is one of only 2 cars I have ever said if I had money I would want on a display shelf in my man cave. For me it was the car that took 1/10th off-road to the next level and made the previous cars all look like toys.

A re-re at a realistic price £300ish (??) would be fine by me. I know the true collectors would still want originals but I would be made up. Just need to find someone to do a decent stars and stripes paintjob!!

Got to say though, I'd love it to happen but just can't quite see it. Really hope I'm wrong.

Rob
Yokomo YZ4 SF2
Old 07-05-2013
Mad Member

It could of course be a marketing trick in the run up to the B5 release....
Old 07-05-2013
Mad Member

This will be the B5 Craig Drescher was running it at the EOS and entering that event with a Gold tub definetely wins the prize for most classy entry in my book! It's a winner, everyone knows it... and deep down inside your know you want to run this instead of a modern car!

I'm looking forward to seeing what truth there is in these rumors. IF they do a re-release, then I certainly hope that they make the parts slightly different here and there so collectors can identify what's vintage and what's not. A re-re on it's own can hurt the vintage market of that car, and it will be mercilessly annihilated if they make it exactly the same as an original version of the RC10.

Look at Tamiya: 3 years after the re-re, who is still talking about restoring, let alone running or racing an original Sand Scorcher? I know with the many versions and loads of updates this might not completely apply to the RC10, but it won't recover from such a thing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP6299 Small.jpg (339.4 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP6296 Small.jpg (409.8 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP6300 Small.jpg (319.9 KB, 172 views)
Old 07-05-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB4 View Post
Yes it seems there are some credible rumours flying around of a Re-Release by Associated of the original RC10!!
Such "rumors" get stirred up every few years over in the States, and they're quickly dismissed as just that (rumors) - especially when Cliff Lett or someone else from AE mentions the fact that all the original molds and stamps were lost/destroyed WAY back in the day, so there's nothing to work from.
Old 07-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
This will be the B5 Craig Drescher was running it at the EOS and entering that event with a Gold tub definetely wins the prize for most classy entry in my book! It's a winner, everyone knows it... and deep down inside your know you want to run this instead of a modern car!

I'm looking forward to seeing what truth there is in these rumors. IF they do a re-release, then I certainly hope that they make the parts slightly different here and there so collectors can identify what's vintage and what's not. A re-re on it's own can hurt the vintage market of that car, and it will be mercilessly annihilated if they make it exactly the same as an original version of the RC10.

Look at Tamiya: 3 years after the re-re, who is still talking about restoring, let alone running or racing an original Sand Scorcher? I know with the many versions and loads of updates this might not completely apply to the RC10, but it won't recover from such a thing
Killer paint

killer car

and

Killer driver ...

what an combo 20 years have past and i still envy him ....

mvh isobarik
Old 07-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
Such "rumors" get stirred up every few years over in the States, and they're quickly dismissed as just that (rumors) - especially when Cliff Lett or someone else from AE mentions the fact that all the original molds and stamps were lost/destroyed WAY back in the day, so there's nothing to work from.
With all the gizmos of nowadays you can backtrack the design completely from the finished product. Ok, the NIB RC10 is by far the cheapest piece in the equation, but they do have something to work from

And even if it's not 100% true to the original but say 95%, it's good enough for enthusiasts to buy it en masse. Only setback is that parts might not fit the original and thus you have a smaller market to sell your spares to. That said having a slightly off car shouldn't hurt sales of a re-re too much.
Old 07-05-2013
No trade access

Even if I drive Kyosho I may consider racing one if they made a rerelease.
Loved that car.
Craig among others were racing them at the CML race last year in Paris and it was awesome to watch and not that bad at all on the carpet track.

Slightly updated with 2.2 wheels and maybe weighted for Lipo
Old 07-05-2013

Would be great to see a re-issue goldpan RC10. The blacktub era Team or Worlds car are my personal, nostaligic favourite though.

Still think the B5 marketing theory is most likely though, playing on past glories etc.
Old 08-05-2013
Banned

Quote:
With all the gizmos of nowadays you can backtrack the design completely from the finished product. Ok, the NIB RC10 is by far the cheapest piece in the equation, but they do have something to work from

And even if it's not 100% true to the original but say 95%, it's good enough for enthusiasts to buy it en masse. Only setback is that parts might not fit the original and thus you have a smaller market to sell your spares to. That said having a slightly off car shouldn't hurt sales of a re-re too much.
Is it possible to reverse engineer/design a car from the ground up? Of course it is.
Is it worth the expense for the resultant limited sales that might result? Who's to say, but I seriously doubt it.

Seems I was reading somewhere that the RC10 was the highest produced car of all time, with estimates being somewhere between 350,000 and half a million (apparently nobody's really sure) - and with tons and tons of nib parts still being available, and cars in like new condition still popping up, let alone all the runners and shelfqueens still in circulation - I really fail to see that there's a market for re-pops..... but crazier things have happened.

To me though, I'd think it'd be a better investment spending the CAD and R&D time on a B5........ because I think the 4.2 was a bandaid hoping to hide the fact that literally every other manufacturer has released a new car in the last 2-3 years except AE, and I can't see them sitting on their hands for another 2 or 3 years as every manufacturer passes them by. .... Don't you think it kills them back in the AE offices in California, every time they see someone running and winning with a "sorta-B4" (Centro, Vega, X-Factory, etc) that nobody is calling an Associated? While some can say it was easy to overlook mid-motored versions, because it's primarily been a UK/Euro thing, you can bet your arse the fire alarms were going off at Area51 in March when all the top finishers at the Cactus Classic in the U.S. were mid-motor set-ups and the AE team drivers had no answer.
Old 08-05-2013
Mad Member

Yes, would be cool but seriously I don't see anybody but Tamiya doing re-releases. Seems to me they had this planned already 30 years ago.

Bit puzzled as to AE not having the old moulds etc. though. As I've learned to know Gene Husting he seemes to be a guy that never throws away anything. I have his full DVD collection (approx 30 I think!). Boy did that guy think ahead and document and keep all the good'ol stuff!

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 09-05-2013
Mad Member

I think it's just a build up to a new B5, trading on the past legacy.

There's no reason for Associated to rerelease the RC10, although I would love it to be true purely so I could pick up a spare set or two of rear arm mounts as they are the only part I have broke on mine and my RC10CE still gets regularly raced and bashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB4 View Post
Maybe it's linked to Craig running an original RC10 at some big races recently??
That's just Craig enjoying getting back into 1/10th without any pressure on him and seeing what he could do with it for fun. If he had a B4 there would be so much pressure on him to do well and his performance would be compared with others. Based on Craigs set up if it was 'testing' for a rerelease there's going to be a huge chunk of brass supplied to bolt on the front.
Old 09-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Me, but then I was running my originals long before the rereleases.
I'm looking it from the point of someone who has collected vintage for many years and who bashers his vintage runners hard, including my Scorcher. I'm still bashing my original one and still repairing it with original parts, as spares are cheaper and more readily available than the rereleases.

I don't get the "if it's £350 I would have one" argument when for £350 you can get an original in pretty mint condition for the same money, and the only spares hard to find are rear arm mounts. Even the bodies are still being made. Maybe it's due to the ad, but there's quite a few choices on ebay right now
Old 09-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
Is it possible to reverse engineer/design a car from the ground up? Of course not.
It's a lot simpler to reverse engineer an r/c car than design it from scratch, if you've got an original to copy from. It took the designer at Tamiya 3 weeks to draw up the parts in CAD for the Sand Scorcher rerelease, just by measuring the original in their museum and tweaking the weak spots.

Quote:
Seems I was reading somewhere that the RC10 was the highest produced car of all time, with estimates being somewhere between 350,000 and half a million (apparently nobody's really sure)
Someone has been having you on.
Considering racing is about 5% of the whole r/c car market there's no way an expensive race chassis would ever be anywhere near the biggest seller. maybe at American race tracks, but not in general and certainly not worldwide.

Tamiyas Hornet was widely regarded as the biggest seller, I believe Tamiya have hinted in the past to over 700,000 of them sold worldwide. Today the biggest seller by far has to be the Tamiya TT01 chassis, it's been going for so long with so many different bodies it's amazing how many people have had one.