Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 01-09-2014

Default 2wd buggy advice

Hi guys,
I'm looking to purchase my first 2wd buggy, new or secondhand I'm not fussed. However I can really only afford to buy one buggy. From your experiences, can you tell me what would be suitable to run on grass, astro, indoors on carpet with some polished floors. Obviously indoors outdoors all weather. A big ask I know but your thoughts would be appreciated before I take the plunge.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2014

Lots of advice on here...look through the threads..particularly 3 weeks ago..."what off road buggy to buy"..
Old 01-09-2014

My advice would be all year round outdoor be a Yokomo BMax 2. The Yokomo is very good indoors and would be good indoor on multi surface. If you are racing on carpet indoor then the Schumacher KF would be hard to beat but the choice is yours
Vector Racing Concepts
Penguin RC Custom Bodyshells
Old 01-09-2014
Mad Member

I'll second the vote for yoke bmax2 as a great all rounder. Easy to drive, work on etc.

Never driven on carpet, but I'm told the team c tm2 or schumacher kf are great for that surface but not really that good on others.

But, as I said in past thread, find your local club and see what is used there as having the best car with no help is much worse than having an average car that you can get loads of advice for

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 02-09-2014

Are you after a roller or rtr?
Old 02-09-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Definitely don't discount the Kyosho RB6 either.

Best advice is to drive as many as you can and buy what suits you personally and what you can get help and support with for setups etc.

Always happy to help with Kyosho setup advice and can give you a very neutral yet still quick setup that a lot of less experienced drivers seem to love.
Old 02-09-2014

Check out the for sale section on the forum. I've brought stuff off here a few times now and its saved me so much money !
Old 02-09-2014
Mad Member

I'd go for the TLR 22 2.0, mine has proved strong and reliable and with good spares back up it has to be worth considering.

The kit also comes with two sets of wheels which is always handy and enough parts to build it in mid or rear motor format.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 02-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
Always happy to help with Kyosho setup advice and can give you a very neutral yet still quick setup that a lot of less experienced drivers seem to love.
If you mean for the RB6, could you direct me to this?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTSHOT III View Post
If you mean for the RB6, could you direct me to this?

Thanks
http://www.petitrc.com/setup/kyosho/...UltimaRB6.html
Old 02-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Are you after a roller or rtr?
Definately a roller..
Old 02-09-2014

The local tracks in my area are, outdoor grass and an indoor carpet/polished floor around 50/50. So really it's just a cost effective car that I can run on all surfaces with little adjustments for setup.
Old 02-09-2014

Have you looked at the b5m. The quality is great and its very adjustable setup wise. Parts are cheap and very easy to get hold of and if you take their last model into account it was still going strong after 10 years.
Old 02-09-2014

I have the b5m and it has great traction even in low grip. Also is not as sensitive to tyre wear than other buggies I have owned so your tyres will last longer.
Old 02-09-2014
Mad Member

As I said in other thread about "which 2wd buggy" if you ask 3 people you'll get 3 different answers. Everyone has their favourites, so, visit the club, see what others run and go with that

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 03-09-2014

This sport follows fashions all the time.

Whats trendy today next week is out of date.

For my 2 cents worth I would look ( if this is your first car ) at an Associated B4 based car as they have been around for years, have a huge spares backup, are still very competitive and easy to drive and set up. also the prices for second hand are very good.
Rollers on e-bay can go for around £40 as opposed to over £200 for the latest fashion kit.
Old 03-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markjtyers View Post
The local tracks in my area are, outdoor grass and an indoor carpet/polished floor around 50/50. So really it's just a cost effective car that I can run on all surfaces with little adjustments for setup.
The RB6 has run extremely well on both these surfaces. I have setups I can give you for both.
Let me know if you're still interested in the car.
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=kyosho
Old 03-09-2014
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Hi guys,
I'm looking to purchase my first 2wd buggy, new or secondhand I'm not fussed. However I can really only afford to buy one buggy. From your experiences, can you tell me what would be suitable to run on grass, astro, indoors on carpet with some polished floors. Obviously indoors outdoors all weather. A big ask I know but your thoughts would be appreciated before I take the plunge.
Thanks in advance.
If he drives a Losi then he will say Losi, Associated man will say that and it goes on like that on the forums!!!
The correct advice is see what people are running at your local club or lets say where you will be racing the most.
As much as I can give you all the advice on Kyosho cars, the best for you if you are at a beginner stage is to go with what you will be able to get help with at your local racers. When you advance to a higher level (if you are not there already) then there is only one make most manufacturers try to copy and that is, Kyosho
All the best
Old 03-09-2014

Kyasho maybe in 1/8th but I think the main winning car in 1/10 is the durango and I ain't been biest either just because I drive a awesome dex210 witch is very easy to set up and is copyed for it's capability of been able to have it either mid or rear motor, but because that's the car make I always I see winning with Craig collinson and up and coming team driver jack hirst at Reginals .... So who's kyosho again? ... The best advice tho is go your local club and see what's been run and then you can get plenty of advice while in the learning stages then go from there, you'll either stick with what u get or move onto something els it's everyone owns preference, I got the 210 because a rtr was and still is only £160 and it comes with a great set up n motor esc combo to get started with too
Old 03-09-2014

Quote:
Hi guys,
Thanks in advance.
As Tony says, and has been proven, these threads usually get the "buy what I have" comment as people want to reaffirm their own choices.

Best advice is go to your local club and see what is used and what is supported.

However

What I would say is that for maximum flexibility consider the drive train of the buggy you want. 2WD come in 3 main flavours with different benefits

Rear motor - Motor hangs out the rear of the buggy behind the rear wheels. Traditional buggy best in low grip such as clay, dirt, wet grass. Best known examples Associated B4 and B5 but also Schumacher SVR, Losi 22 (convertible), Durango 210 (convertible) and Kyosho RB6 (convertible).

Mid motor - Not really middle but just inside the wheelbase in front of the rear wheels. Better all rounder but less rear traction than a rear motor making up fro that with better steering and higher corner speeds. Main contenders are Associated B5M, Losi 22 (convertible), Durango 210 (convertible), Kyosho RB6 (convertible), XFactory X6 cubed (conversion to a B4), Yokomo BMAX2 and Schumacher SV2.

Front Motor - Sometimes referred to as "cheater cars" these started as conversions to 4WD cars so the motor is much further forward as it was in the 4WD configuration. They drive like a 4WD with excellent front end, massive speed in corners but do work best in high grip. Most cars are conversions like the DB01 and 2 on a Kyosho, DB Max on Yokomo and the X6-S on the X6 cubed but Team C and Schumacher have bought out dedicated cars such as the KF and TM2. I would not choose a cheater car for slippy but for mid to high grip they are doing very well in competition. I have one and it suits me very well as I find it easy to drive as well.

Also bear in mind that the benefit of a car being convertible is not worth much as it is quite a big rebuild to convert them from one to the other. I don't know anyone who swaps them over routinely.