Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 15-02-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

No worries mate, plenty to work with this weekend anyway ... we are nearly there with the Lazer anyway
Old 15-02-2012

Post tapered pistons

Hi guys

Is anyone getting closer to a definative setup for the big bore shocks? Also are the tapered pistons a nice to have?or do they improve the shocks even more?

Cheers

Windy
Electrics- Orion R10, Orion Saddles, Orion 7.5
Extras- Full cream weight set and shock towers.

Old 15-02-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

They are not essential but they do allow you to run a bit more roll control via damping without slowing the "squaring up" of the car out of the corner ... it is possible to go too far with the normal pistons and get a fair amount of over rotation.

I have a crew in place and am working as fast as we can to get something for the "typical" driver to use as a starting setup ... all set ups need a bit of personalisation to individual drivers IMHO.

The problem we are having is the weather, it's so cold it's hard to know if what we have ATM will still hold true when the temperatures turn positive again!
Old 23-02-2012

Send a message via MSN to Nick Send a message via Skype™ to Nick

Hi just to say all orders have been posted. Roger yours are almost donehoping to post tomorrow
Old 23-02-2012

It seems to me that the Lazer is pretty much dialed with this tapered pistons combination....what about the RB5? Any testing in rear motor on outdoor tracks?

Team Kyosho-Proline Racing-Team Orion-LRP-Maugrafix-ZWorks.tk-Rudebits-Ghea Racing
Old 24-02-2012
Mad Member

Im back messing with the 6 hole tapered..

FS2

Front - 6 x 1.1mm 37.5wtAE yellow spring (1.5mm spacers to reduce droop)

Rear - 6 x 1.2mm 30wtAE red spring

Other pistons set up is front 4 x 1.4 40wt Yokomo green, Rear 5 x 1.4 30wt red spring

MCS

Front - 5 x 1.3mm 40wt Red Spring

Rear - 5 x 1.4mm 32.5wt red Spring

Also running the car with an unpinned slipper.. made it much better in rd4 at chadderton at the weekend... took abit to get used to it mind and still am lol! unpinned for worksop/chadderton lots of surface changes with ripples, jumps etc.. Pinned - flat/smooth grippy carpet..
Old 24-02-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

I haven't tried the unpinned slipper yet and certainly something for me to think about when I get time.

Also need to re look at tapered pistons again as I'm back with standard at the mo.
Old 24-02-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It's going to be a matter of personal preference and track surface but I've found outdoors that the 4x1.2 and 6x1.2 are both too high pack to reap the benefits of the big bores.

We (Adam & I) finished sunday on Fr 4x1.2/32.5wt AE/ Losi Green spring, Rr 6x1.2/25wt AE / X-gear red (or Losi Yellow), that is with LAW43 on the back.

Based on the feel we need to go slightly larger holes and up in oil, not 100% sure where we will end up but we are closing in!

Nick, I think the pistons are waiting for me, I've got a "signed for" ticket last night but I was way too late to get to the post office. Will let you know.

With the 2wd I must admit that I am less certain we have identified the optimum working area.

Will keep you posted.
Old 24-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
We (Adam & I) finished sunday on Fr 4x1.2/32.5wt AE/ Losi Green spring, Rr 6x1.2/25wt AE / X-gear red (or Losi Yellow), that is with LAW43 on the back.
It was actually 30wt AE front and 25wt AE rear with pistons as above that we ran in the final - we noticed some inconsistency in the AE oils as Rog was using the older bottles of AE for the 30, not the newer twisty-spout ones meaning that his was a little under damped up front and was a bit of a handful - car felt really soft on the bench but it was really responsive on track, albeit packing up a bit too much over the big ruts and bumps - less piston/heavier oil to achieve the same sort of feel should be pretty good
Old 24-02-2012
Mad Member

I've found that unpinned seems much more consistent over bumps etc - especially if you need to steer through them. I found pinned felt faster but was certainly more inconsistent and more difficult to drive = slower lap times. I also felt you could get the power on earlier unpinned, especially in bumpy sections.

Rog/Adam - does your FS2 BB shock setup stop the front rolling about so much? I've gone back to using the Front Roll bar to keep the front in check around the twisty sections.

Nick - are you running LAW43?
Old 24-02-2012
Mad Member

Yep im running LAW43...

Will be playing with shocks at worksop on sunday.. will let people know

Old 27-02-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Toby, the higher pack front end and the change (shortening) of the front camber link does help control the roll.

We are not quite there with the piston combination yet as Adam states but are getting there.
I deliberately put the setup I did as I felt it was better at normal temperatures than what we ran in the finals of the freezing Kidderminster meeting it Adam was refering too.

As Adam also said I personally feel that both pistons pack up too quickly on a rough track for my tastes so will most likely be going up slightly on piston hole area.
As soon as the piston arrive from Nick I will get stuck in .... need to speak to Mr Caro about bulk discounts on shock oil LOL
Old 20-03-2012

Send a message via MSN to Nick Send a message via Skype™ to Nick

Hi all just to say thanks for all the orders. They have all been sent
Old 21-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

And I must say thank you for filling my parts boxes with pistons Nick .. they are getting everywhere!!!

I've been doing a lot of work with these pistons recently and I can say I am getting seriously close to achieving, my interpretation of, perfection with the FS2-sp running some of Nick's pistons. Will post it up here once I have had a few more drivers try it out and feedback.

The tapered pistons really do seem to transform the response of the big bore shocks and I now have a car that not only handles like a dream but feels alive and responsive too, it actually feels more direct than on my old small bore set up but MUCH more consistent.

The only unfortunate thing is that the extra volume in the shocks, although bringing potential benefits, makes them a fair bit more sensitive than the small bores which will mean you you probably will want to carry 3 sets of front and 3 sets of rear pistons with you to suit all track conditions (from smooth flat + big jumpa carpet tracks, through "typical" multi-surface off-road to "surface of the moon")
Old 26-03-2012

Any more info on the pistons,ran the car yesterday car felt good but a little to slow response other rb5 running small bores
Lrp
Eds
Sworkz 35-4n
Alpha dragon
Old 26-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I need to check a couple of measurements off a VEGA but I was running 4x1.4 front (35wt AE oil & losi orange front spring which is very close to X-gear gold) & 4x1.45 rear with x gear red springs & 30et oil. I was definitely up on pace compared to small bores & could monster c4.1s & cougars through the rough stuff. Played with pistons a lot and settle back to these every time as great balance of pack/response/bump handling
Old 30-03-2012

OK, after reading so many good things about Nick's tapered pistons, I bought some to try. Crazy fast postage BTW, thanks mate!
But so far I get a really soft damping, is that normal?

Here is my setup :

MCS with Kyosho BB : 3x1.5 holes on front (40WT), 3x1.7 holes on rear (32.5WT). Damping is really soft, I think I would have to use something like 50/45WT to get the same feeling I had with the stock pistons and 40/30WT shock oil.
I also tried with 5x1.3 on rear. Slightly better but still too soft for my bumpy grippy astro track, the car is tossed on every corner. Damping is good for the bumps on the straights though, the wheels reacts really quickly and follow the track ripples nicely.

Same thing with my FS2 with Kyosho BB. 5x1.3 (40WT) on front, 5x1.4 (35WT) on rear. The car is too soft, crazy reactive to steering and throttle inputs.

I checked the pistons to see if something was off, but the holes are of the correct, specified size, and the piston diameter is only 0.05mm smaller than stock parts.

So am I doing something wrong? Or is it my track and driving that need more damping?
Any help welcome.

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 30-03-2012
Mad Member

On my MCS im using Front 5 x 1.3 42.5wt Red Spring, Rear 5 x 1.4 32.5wt Red Spring

FS - Front 35wt 6 x 1.2mm Yellow Spring - Rear 6 x 1.2mm 27.5 wt red Spring

Old 30-03-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njc11 View Post
On my MCS im using Front 5 x 1.3 42.5wt Red Spring, Rear 5 x 1.4 32.5wt Red Spring

FS - Front 35wt 6 x 1.2mm Yellow Spring - Rear 6 x 1.2mm 27.5 wt red Spring

I will give these a go for the FS as at present I'm getting on better with the small bores.
Old 30-03-2012
Mad Member

Be prepared to go up 2.5wt and up one spring rate to Orange

Let me know what you think