Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Ansmann Racing

Closed Thread

Old 31-10-2011

Default Brushless, what esc and motor

Ok this is going to be a budget build (£65 car what else can it be!) as its a starter car for me and my slash 4x4 is hopped up ++++, but I need to be brushless, will be running 2s all the time.

Looking for a reasonable quality budget brushless esc/motor

Recommendations would be gratefully appreciated

Car, bearings, 2.4 trans/reciever all Xmas prezzies, rest I have to get myself - not a problem but the wife won't let me spend too much (in the ideal world I'd be running MMP esc so I could swap into my slash 4x4 but too expensive)

What Kv motor should I be looking at?
What power esc should I be looking at?

Other things on list will be shocks - will probably scour second hand for these, and a few spares lol

Thanks for your help in advance

Ps: I'll be running mainly on grass 1:10 courses in uk if that helps
Old 31-10-2011

Forgot - I will be getting mad monkey ;0)
Old 31-10-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabusben View Post
Looking for a reasonable quality budget brushless esc/motor

Recommendations would be gratefully appreciated
You might be better served, and get more reliable responses, by telling people what your actual "budget" is.
Old 31-10-2011

The alternative, of course is to go for the RTR 2.4kHz at £165 - but then there's no fun in building it :0( and I'm sure I'll still want to upgrade this system anyway, or is this brushless system ok?
Old 31-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayce View Post
You might be better served, and get more reliable responses, by telling people what your actual "budget" is.
Doh! Sorry, my budget is trying to keep it near to the price of the RTR (£165 all in) but can be stretched to £200 or so all in - meaning around £60-125 for esc/motor combo, unless there is a spectacular upgrade for slightly more......

Of course I've not rule out second hand options (like a B4 or a 22) but realistically, don't thnk I'm going to get a runner for much less than £250-300
Old 31-10-2011

Actually, I've been a bit of a muppet, for the budget I've allocated for upgrading this buggy, I could get a new associated B4.1 - think that might be a better option!? - possibly even cheaper?
Old 31-10-2011
Thieving scumbag

Quote:
Actually, I've been a bit of a muppet, for the budget I've allocated for upgrading this buggy, I could get a new associated B4.1 - think that might be a better option!? - possibly even cheaper?

its simple to me get thew monkey the B4.1 is old news and not gonna be as easy to get good results with.

get an ansmann 7.5 with a hobbywing xerun 120A and you wont look back
Old 31-10-2011

Really, ok, I'll look into that - thanks. The 120A comes with many different motor combinations - which kV would you recommend?
Old 31-10-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle_axe View Post
its simple to me get thew monkey the B4.1 is old news and not gonna be as easy to get good results with.
That's right, stick with this guy's advice, he knows what he's talking about - everyone knows ansmann dominated the A-Finals at last month's World Championships while the B4.1 struggled just to win the race.
Old 31-10-2011

Quote:
That's right, stick with this guy's advice, he knows what he's talking about - everyone knows ansmann dominated the A-Finals at last month's World Championships while the B4.1 struggled just to win the race.
TBH I am never going to be a serious competitor, just don't have the time due to work and family. I just want a 2wd 1:10 to run which will not be a dog and has good parts availability, ideally that doesn't need a packet spent on it to get it to, at least, the tail end of the pack.

I'm afraid my passion at the moment is Short Course, not many tracks run these yet, so wanted something I could play around with when sc not running

If budget was not an option i think I'd go for a 22, but, because of wife, £200 is about the limit (if I'm lucky)

Mad Monkey looked like a good bet (and has great reviews) but, as stated above, the B4 has a very good track record............better than mine will ever be

As everyone says.....its the driver that wins the race, I kinda have no experience, I will be the limiting factor I whatever combo I get

Of course I appreciate an element of bias toward the mm here and i think it is great, just, only really can budget for one buggy so...........I drifted a little off topic - sorry
Old 31-10-2011
Banned

Quote:
TBH I am never going to be a serious competitor, just don't have the time due to work and family. I just want a 2wd 1:10 to run which will not be a dog and has good parts availability, ideally that doesn't need a packet spent on it to get it to, at least, the tail end of the pack.

I'm afraid my passion at the moment is Short Course, not many tracks run these yet, so wanted something I could play around with when sc not running

If budget was not an option i think I'd go for a 22, but, because of wife, £200 is about the limit (if I'm lucky)

Mad Monkey looked like a good bet (and has great reviews) but, as stated above, the B4 has a very good track record............better than mine will ever be

As everyone says.....its the driver that wins the race, I kinda have no experience, I will be the limiting factor I whatever combo I get

Of course I appreciate an element of bias toward the mm here and i think it is great, just, only really can budget for one buggy so...........I drifted a little off topic - sorry
My intent was not to insult the ansmann or budget racing, and my response was only to the other misguided chap that was suggesting the 4.1 was inferior.

I do understand your intent on keeping within your budget, and the wife off your back, and there are many hk-produced budget BL systems that should suit your needs - and, unless there's a mad rush to get going, since you mentioned the 22 and the B4.1 as options, maybe do some looking around at the "used market" and even take out an ad in the "wanted" section of the forum here (there's a reason the better known makes win all the races, and it's not because they're inferior - you stick sebastian vettle in a trash lorry, and it's still going to go around the track like a garbage truck). If you can't find a deal on one, then by all means grab yourself a MM as it should suit your needs.
Good luck, and have fun
Old 31-10-2011

He he, thanks, there's no rush as the winter is upon us so I've basically got a few months to look around. I've posted for advice in the general race discussion as I feel it is more appropriate there. MM and B4.1 are still front runners but I reckon, initially I'll end up spending more on the MM to get something that I will be happy with (as with most RC car enthusiasts I never stop modifying) hate being on such a tight budget but the SCT has also required a little "input" and, at the moment, that takes priority as it is used much more often (almost daily). What I hate doing is spending half the money only to decide in a couple of months that I should have bought a different model, so spend out again.

Your advice is greatly appreciated, as you can tell I'm new to buggy racing, so any input is welcome..........hopefully by next season I'll have a buggy........bet it will end up costing a lot more than £200 overall, whatever I get (but the wife doesn't notice the odd £20-30 here and there lol)
Old 31-10-2011

Quote:
My intent was not to insult the ansmann or budget racing, and my response was only to the other misguided chap that was suggesting the 4.1 was inferior.

I do understand your intent on keeping within your budget, and the wife off your back, and there are many hk-produced budget BL systems that should suit your needs - and, unless there's a mad rush to get going, since you mentioned the 22 and the B4.1 as options, maybe do some looking around at the "used market" and even take out an ad in the "wanted" section of the forum here (there's a reason the better known makes win all the races, and it's not because they're inferior - you stick sebastian vettle in a trash lorry, and it's still going to go around the track like a garbage truck). If you can't find a deal on one, then by all means grab yourself a MM as it should suit your needs.
Good luck, and have fun
Lol, bet Vettle could still go round a track in a garbage truck faster than I could in my 200hp 0-60/7s 140mph smart forfour brabus ;0)
Old 31-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you haven't quite made up your mind about which car and you are intending to run at local clubs, then I'd recommend popping down to see what everyone is running.
That way you'll have access to setup and spares support at the track which can be invaluable rather than being the only one running a car

You can also see what motors and gearing they are running too.
Old 31-10-2011
Banned

Quote:
What I hate doing is spending half the money only to decide in a couple of months that I should have bought a different model, so spend out again.
That's my only concern, as personally I hate chasing my tail spending twice when if I'd been more patient and added a couple of £'s I could have got what I really wanted.
The other option is to stumble down to your local track and see what all the local chaps are running, what's popular, what parts are readily available trackside, as it's always easier to get help with your rig if lots of others know it.
I saw your other thread, and it's why I suggested that instead of posting the vague feeler threads in the misc sections that you just post an ad in the "Wanted" section of the forum while keeping a regular eye on the "For Sale" section - you might stumble across a deal of a lifetime.
Old 31-10-2011

Problem is I'm not sure what I want yet, that's why I've not posted in wanted section yet ;0) relying on advice of you experienced guys to guide me with that decission ;0)

Local tracks seem to be B4's, MM's, and 22's from discussion recently, spares are always going to be online, uk stock is not bad for any model compared with my SCT ;0)

If its ok I'll close this tread here to continue in the Race discussion thread as it seems more appropriate there - just so I don't end up upsetting anyone by going off topic - thanks for all your advice ;0)
Old 31-10-2011

Quote:
i'm sorry but hes rite the b4 is old hat regardless where it came in the worlds. its still a good car but a very old design iv been running a b4 and a x6 and i prefer the x2c to either of them. its funny how people think a ansmann is inferior to a b4 when its just not the case
Old 31-10-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post
i'm sorry but hes rite the b4 is old hat regardless where it came in the worlds. its still a good car but a very old design iv been running a b4 and a x6 and i prefer the x2c to either of them. its funny how people think a ansmann is inferior to a b4 when its just not the case
What's even funnier is people suggesting the ansmann is superior (or even equal) to a 4.1, unless they're going to show the company's latest National/World Championship banners. I remember when the Yugo's were "new," but just being a new offering didn't make them better than a Corolla or a Civic.
Old 31-10-2011

ok you obviously no what your talking about next you will be telling me thunder tiger are crap
Old 31-10-2011

Irrespective of 'opinions' of which we all have more than one, Ansmann are offering great choices and options at very good prices with upgrade paths easily identified. I'm not disputing AE heritage as I have raced for over 20 years but second hand items can easily hide hidden costs as I've found out in the past.
Yes I do drive Ansmann now in an X4TE but I have used cars from all major brands including Thunder Tiger
Closed Thread