Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 10-03-2018

Default Pro Cat, RS4x4, SWB or XLS...

Take your pick, I have no idea??? Thought it was a Pro Cat to start with, looking at the rear linkage, shock mounts and the front sway bar (not pictured). But the chassis certainly isn't a Pro Cat's. Could it be a SWB Cat? Fairly sure the gearboxes and running gear are not XLS, but can't get away from that chassis looking like an XLS... Any ideas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20180310_001.jpg (297.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20180310_003.jpg (300.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20180310_005.jpg (293.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20180310_006.jpg (296.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 10-03-2018
Super Moderator

Looks like it either started life as an xl & had a procat rear end added or it was a procat that they used the chassis from an xl to save weight, you can tell it is an xl top deck from the front of it as it curves out like the swb one did, the xls ones were straight as was the procat one, looks like you have the procat layshaft fitted so you more than likely have the rear diff as well unless there is an mms one hiding in there
Get it stripped & cleaned up & a new procat chassis set can be bought from Fibrelyte or Factory Works, new bodyshell sets are available from Penguin RC on ebay & fit great
Old 11-03-2018

Thanks for the reply Gainsy, much appreciated!

I think your right about it starting life as a Pro Cat and having the XLS chassis swap for weight saving reasons. There was a section of the chassis removed to accommodate a rather large servo saver Will have a bit of time to strip it down today, so will have a better idea of the internals and what's what later on. Would be nice to find a MMS diff lurking in the rear. I've already spotted the one-ways on the front
Old 11-03-2018

I have an XL with similar changes. I am trying to get back to XL spec so we might be able to help one another. Will send you a pm.
Yokomo Works '91, RC10 Graphite Custom, TOP Models Hybrid, 2 x 870c, CAT XL, AYK Pro Radiant x3, Pb Maxima, SG Coyote Custom, Marui Samurai, Hot Trick/Trinity Optima, 2 x Mardave Meteors, Prototype Meteor, original Sand Scorcher.
Old 11-03-2018

Thats a procat with an xl/xls chassis by the looks of the pics mate!!!!

Schumacher Cat Sx3
Old 12-03-2018

I was told yesterday that it started life as an original cat, and had various 'modifications and hacks' along the way... Although the Pro Cat stickers and RS4x4 diagram make me think otherwise O_o One thing I did notice during the rebuild was the height of the front gearbox was considerably lower than the rear, making the top deck slope downwards. Pretty sure that isn't a standard feature
Old 12-03-2018

Thinking more SWB Cat with some Pro Cat parts. Checked out the part numbers on the hubs and they're deffo SWB and not Pro Cat. Had a rummage in the spare parts that came with it and found the original wing and mount
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20180312_016.jpg (269.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20180312_014.jpg (301.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-03-2018
Awesome Admin

SWB and he XL Had different front uprights than the xls and Procat so maybe started as an xls and had the top deck replaced and then the rear end?
Old 13-03-2018

Changing out the XL uprights to the revised xls versions as soon as they came out was a common switch back in the day - I changed my XL over almost immediately so that might cloud your id water a little also.
Yokomo Works '91, RC10 Graphite Custom, TOP Models Hybrid, 2 x 870c, CAT XL, AYK Pro Radiant x3, Pb Maxima, SG Coyote Custom, Marui Samurai, Hot Trick/Trinity Optima, 2 x Mardave Meteors, Prototype Meteor, original Sand Scorcher.