Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 19-12-2012

Default TLR XX4WE Questions

Hello!

JUst wondering what hexes you guys are running on the rear of the XX4. I have noticed the B44.2 Hexes fit perfectly with only a little spacing out.

Any others out there, do others run AE hexes?

Cheers!
Old 19-12-2012

Don't know if anyone is running hexes at all on there xx4. The only thing I can think of that might work are the hexes from the old xxx-s touring car. don't know how wide that will make the car though.
Old 19-12-2012
Mad Member

I'm pretty sure a mate of mine is running TLR22 wheels on his XX4.
Old 19-12-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
I'm pretty sure a mate of mine is running TLR22 wheels on his XX4.
Could you find out how he has converted please matey... keen to know how you could use the imperial wheel nuts and get them tightened inside 22 rear wheels?

i was going to mess around with 22 bits to make a hybrid rear suspension/hubs/driveshafts but its only benefit is the wheels tbh as XX4 with XXXCR hubs/wishbones is very good.
Old 19-12-2012

Why not just direct change to associated hubs, they directly fit with spacers. Is the associated wheel offset differently?
Old 19-12-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
Why not just direct change to associated hubs, they directly fit with spacers. Is the associated wheel offset differently?
Couldn't tell you about Associated parts... personally not interested in bolting their parts on my cars either, cant see any performance benefits.... die hard Losi fan i'm afraid!

Are you struggling to get XX4 wheels?
Old 20-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
Hello!

JUst wondering what hexes you guys are running on the rear of the XX4. I have noticed the B44.2 Hexes fit perfectly with only a little spacing out.

Any others out there, do others run AE hexes?

Cheers!
I have run the 22 standard plastic hexes on the rear and used the 22 wheels and not had a problem. I believe some of the issue you can have depend on the type of rear driveshaft you are using and requiring a larger nut which means it is difficult to tighten as the hex driver wont fit in the recess of the 22 wheel.

I believe you can still get the old Losi rims if you are worried about the extra width our AE hexes are giving you.

HTH
Old 20-12-2012

My understanding was that the TLR hex wheel when used with a standard width TLR hex gives the same offset as the old Losi pin style wheel - so in theory, there should not be any problem with width differences if you use the TLR hex wheel on the rear of the XX4 (or XXX4).

As Delves has said, problems can arise when using the old UJ style rear driveshaft as the recess for the locknut on the TLR wheel doesn't allow for a nut runner and so you'll be tightening the rear wheels with a pair of long nose pliers.
CVD shafts use a smaller OD lock nut and there is sufficient room for the smaller imperial nut runner so they're OK

Other than that - it works just fine.
Old 20-12-2012

Hi guys, thanks for the replies! No problems getting Losi Rims, more so just prefer the hex system as opposed to pins.. Never been a huge fan.

Ill try some more and see how we go!

Cheers
Old 05-01-2013

Does anyone there have a newer reference setup for carpet?
Old 05-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly Old Dog View Post
My understanding was that the TLR hex wheel when used with a standard width TLR hex gives the same offset as the old Losi pin style wheel - so in theory, there should not be any problem with width differences if you use the TLR hex wheel on the rear of the XX4 (or XXX4).

As Delves has said, problems can arise when using the old UJ style rear driveshaft as the recess for the locknut on the TLR wheel doesn't allow for a nut runner and so you'll be tightening the rear wheels with a pair of long nose pliers.
CVD shafts use a smaller OD lock nut and there is sufficient room for the smaller imperial nut runner so they're OK

Other than that - it works just fine.
Was that the MIP driveshaft or a losi cvd? Jus trying to work out whats on my shelfer, as want to get another xx4 to race ;-)
Old 06-01-2013

Can't say for certain - since the CVDs are almost as old as me but I suspect they were MIPs.

Again, I'm not 100% sure but even the LOSA part number CVDs for the older Team Losi cars like the XX-4 might well have been MIPs.

The point I was trying to make about it though was in reference to the thread size and thus the nut on the axle itself. The Losi UJs utilise a bigger nut than the CVDs I have and so when used with TLR wheels with a recess for the nut, you have less access for the nut runner with the UJs than you have with the CVDs and so you might need to use needle-nose pliers to tighten up the TLR wheel when using the Losi UJs.

HTH
Old 07-01-2013

No carpet setups (newer ones than Petit?)

I guess Ill work on it and post my findings!
Old 18-04-2013

im running ae b4 hexes on my xxx-4 . the track width is a tiny bit wider though.
Old 18-04-2013

I run 22 hexes on the rear of my xx4 with some aluminium hexes on the front I have made at work. With regards to the nut runner I have just turned the outside diameter of one down on a lathe so it fits in the recess of a 22 whel.