Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 19-04-2016

My personal opinion
This weekend I had a full day of testing back to back with the new carpet=3 GEAR vs the old 4 gear. My local track is a HUGE astroturf track, bumpy, fast laps are 32sec flat laptimes. Conditions were 100% dry. If your car is not dialed in 100% or your driving lines are not consistent you soon loose between 0.5 and 1sec per lap; I tell this because if you give me a car that would be significantly faster, I will feel it and go below 32sec)

The new car felt different, it felt easier to drive, from the start I expected that better laptimes were possible , but at the end of the day it was not, both cars were equally as fast and turned exactly the same laptimes!

For now, I like the old car just a tad more, it's a little snappier and seems to put the power a little more down. Again, just my personal opinion. From the other side: 1 rotating part less in a gearbox can't be a bad thing

To sum things up: yes, technically the changes are drastically, but whilst riding the differences are more subtle I think. If you never drove the 'old' 4 gear chances are you will not miss it. The new car is a great machine and maybe that in time I'll be faster with it than the old 4 gear, but don't expect any miracles, there aren't!

Last edited by rcpower; 19-04-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 19-04-2016

Talking

sorry, double post
Old 19-04-2016

The only difference Lee Martin could tell me, is that the 3 gear gearbox should be easier to drive, not faster.

Personally I have to do some testing first, but probably will try both 3 and 4 gear at my next race. Back in the X6 days I tried 3 and 4 gear as well, and liked 4 gear as much as I did 3 gear.

Last edited by skyaflake; 19-04-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 19-04-2016

anybody not needing their window masks that can help a poor man out please ?
Liars run for cover the truth is taking over!!!
Old 19-04-2016

Not sure if anyone has covered it, but does anyone Boil the arms anymore?

Broke my first R arm and I have only 1 set of spare R arms for the YZ, but a couple spares of my Bmax. I'm told the length is longer and thus I need the longer CV axles.

MOmo
Old 20-04-2016

I never boiled YZ2 arms, only tried it on the YZ4, but with the new arms, it's not needed anymore.

If you want to use B-Max4 arms, yes, you need new shafts. Shafts from the B-Max2 fit. Not sure about B-Max2 rear arms, never tried.
Old 20-04-2016

You can use the Bmax2 rear arms but only with the shocks in the rear position.
Old 25-04-2016

So I got the three gear tranny after reading some of the thoughts people have put.
Run it Sunday at barham I stripped two spur gears. I noticed there is quite a bit of flex on the motor plate. My motor wires are quite tight so Iam thinking maybe this was the problem.

Any one else had a issue?
Old 25-04-2016

ran mine yesterday and Wednesday and all is good here finding it it much more fun to drive
Old 25-04-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiv View Post
So I got the three gear tranny after reading some of the thoughts people have put.
Run it Sunday at barham I stripped two spur gears. I noticed there is quite a bit of flex on the motor plate. My motor wires are quite tight so Iam thinking maybe this was the problem.

Any one else had a issue?
No issues here. You may be on to something with your motor wires.
Old 25-04-2016

Yeah I think it must be the motor wires I ran them round the side they are pretty tight so I'll have to rethink it and go back over the top and leave a bit of play
Thanks for the replys
Old 23-05-2016

Default Freshly built

Recently joined. Thought I'd share the new DT. Can't wait for some track time!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFwT1w-OvJ3/
Old 20-07-2016

Default Grass setups yz2

Looking for some setups for my 4gear yz2 for grass can only find one on petit cheers
Old 21-12-2016

Default Whats the stability of the front whichbones?

Hi,

I'm shopping around for a new 2wd buggy and the Yokomo YZ-2 CA is a hot candidate. I do own a Dex201v2 that has come to age and needs a replacement. I struggled a lot with the Dex front wishbones as they cracked frequently on me. The front wishbones of the YZ-2 look as if they are made of similar material as the ones on the Dex. Now that the YZ-2 is some month old, whats your experience regarding breaking front wishbones? Is it done easily? On my Dex I gave up on the Durango parts, and now run Asso B5M front wishbones as they fit perfectly and so far I never broke a wishbone after that.

Would like to hear your opinions on the robustness of the car.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 21-12-2016

no worries durability wise cars a tank only a front bulkhead needed in case of a big hit and worth keeping rear sus pins spare only things I've killed in over a year
Old 21-12-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickru View Post
Hi,

I'm shopping around for a new 2wd buggy and the Yokomo YZ-2 CA is a hot candidate. I do own a Dex201v2 that has come to age and needs a replacement. I struggled a lot with the Dex front wishbones as they cracked frequently on me. The front wishbones of the YZ-2 look as if they are made of similar material as the ones on the Dex. Now that the YZ-2 is some month old, whats your experience regarding breaking front wishbones? Is it done easily? On my Dex I gave up on the Durango parts, and now run Asso B5M front wishbones as they fit perfectly and so far I never broke a wishbone after that.

Would like to hear your opinions on the robustness of the car.

Thanks,
Michael
I bought the original yz2 when it was launched. I have run it regularly and the only thing I have managed to do is bend a rear shock shaft

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 22-12-2016
Mad Member

I've tried a few 2WD buggies in the last couple of years and the original YZ-2 was my favourite. The only reason for selling my YZ-2 actually was to spend less time with RC. Getting spare and option parts for Yokomo cars could not be easier in Germany, Tonisport has offered the best service. If you've got any urgent questions, I'd recommend calling them instead of sending an E-mail, though.
If you are looking for more information on the original YZ-2, feel free to check out my honest review on rc-news.de
The CA version includes most parts I added to the original kit and should be great right out of the box. You won't be disappointed for sure!
Old 07-08-2017
Mad Member

Just stumbled across these 7075 aluminium bulkhead mounts by Techra in the Tonisport online store. As I had contemplated getting the graphite mounts and steel bulkhead, I may just have killed two birds with one stone. Can't wait to test them this weekend in Helmond!
Old 08-08-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes View Post
Just stumbled across these 7075 aluminium bulkhead mounts by Techra in the Tonisport online store. As I had contemplated getting the graphite mounts and steel bulkhead, I may just have killed two birds with one stone. Can't wait to test them this weekend in Helmond!
Nice looking parts, but not sure where they will work?

For high-grip/carpet, the CoG will be too high for my liking, a plate under the servo or in front of the cranks would be a better option if you wanted weigh there, and low down.

For lower traction where you may want the body roll from the higher CoG, you wouldn't normally want the weight in that location.

But please feedback...
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 09-08-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Nice looking parts, but not sure where they will work?

For high-grip/carpet, the CoG will be too high for my liking, a plate under the servo or in front of the cranks would be a better option if you wanted weigh there, and low down.

For lower traction where you may want the body roll from the higher CoG, you wouldn't normally want the weight in that location.

But please feedback...
Sure, will do! But as I am currently still waiting for the dispatch note, I am beginning to doubt that the parts arrive in time for the weekend...
After taking a look at my YZ-2, the weight does not seem to be much higher than it would be using the steel bulkhead, which is mounted to angled chassis section. As of now, I don't know yet how heavy the brass inserts are at all. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Last edited by mes; 09-08-2017 at 03:49 PM.