Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 29-07-2011

i too think this news is shite! actually gutted as i love to watch f1,but i refuse to get sky as i think £50 odd a month for a load of repeats and shit telly is a rip off. i hope the highlights are as good as match of the day if not its bye bye f1 for me
Old 29-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Its not about hoping the highlights are good. Its all about avoiding the result untill they come on bbc. The one race I missed in 17 years I recorded on old vhs, but while I was rewinding the bloody news was on without thinking to turn the volume down while rewinding the race winner was announced.
How many people are going to have to lock themselves away all day and not turn on the tv or laptop for fear of ruining the highlights.
Old 29-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit View Post
Its not about hoping the highlights are good. Its all about avoiding the result untill they come on bbc. The one race I missed in 17 years I recorded on old vhs, but while I was rewinding the bloody news was on without thinking to turn the volume down while rewinding the race winner was announced.
How many people are going to have to lock themselves away all day and not turn on the tv or laptop for fear of ruining the highlights.
so true its going to be hard to go all day without knowing the result.
Old 29-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

think sky are hopeing the F1 massive are all going to get sky no matter what the cost,and line their fat little pockets! Think, and hope this backfires on F1, need to have more respect of there audience,

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 29-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

I'm hoping that there are very few people convert to sky, and everyone just waits until later in the evening and watches the highlights on the beeb. lol

i can just see it being a couple of no-ones sat in a studio doing the 'discussion' thing, rather than having presenters actually there at the races.

It will be interesting to see who they get to do the comentary.
Old 29-07-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeedy View Post
Agree'd ...

I don't think the BBC has ever been fully committed to Motorsport, this just proves it
The BBC is fully committed to reducing costs as demanded by us, the voters. They were always committed to F1 when it cost much less to broadcast, but we, the voters, think £200m is a waste of money and we demand that they save the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by /tobys View Post
Bad news really.

All F1 viewers should boycott any Sky coverage so it becomes glaringly obvious in the viewing figures what the fans want and where...
Been doing that since Murdoch bought the Sun in 1969 - have never, and would never, put 1p into his company. Most people put me down as a left-wing loony then - Sky was the future!! It's amazing how many people have recently told me I was right about Murdoch...

Quote:
You are going to get half of the races live on bbc or pay I think £20.25 a month to see it on sky sports.
Here's the bbc explanation , they think wimbledon golf and horseracing is far more important. see video
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/9550930.stm
Funny how they are so keen on sports that cost almost bugger all to get the rights for... Or rather, see the point above about what we, the voters, think we should pay the rights for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldmodels View Post
I'm not keen on some Sky commentators, so if I do watch the races on Sky, I might just press the mute button and listen the Radio 5 coverage, but then the pictures to sound maybe out of sync a bit.
All pictures come from Bernie's TV feed, so everyone gets the same pics including the R5 commentators. Ever noticed that ALL F1 footage belongs to Bernie? It says Copyright F1 Administration on all the BBC footage, and everyone else's too. Great deal he does that Mr. E, charges people to show his pictures and then keeps the copyright so he can charge them to show the pictures again!! You'll be fine with Sky pics and R5 talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
think sky are hopeing the F1 massive are all going to get sky no matter what the cost,and line their fat little pockets! Think, and hope this backfires on F1, need to have more respect of there audience,
What, like we all said would happen when they nicked the footie... and millions of people went out and bought Sky footie packages and made the company viable. It's a nice thought, but whatever we all thought wouldn't work about their business model when they paid huge amounts for the footie, we were wrong. It works like a charm. Buy up the sports rights and people will sign up to Sky. 10.3 million subscribers and growing...

I don't like it, but it is what people want - less money spent on the BBC and more choice like having it on Sky. I'll just have to suck it up!!

One small light in the tunnel - there's a rumour the Concorde agreement contains a requirement for F1 to be free-to-air in some countries. Apparently the Constructors might raise this with Bernie...
Old 29-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It will be interesting to see how advertiser/sponsers react. I wonder if they will try to reduce payments to the teams as they will not get the same coverage in repeats as they do live.
Old 29-07-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how advertiser/sponsers react. I wonder if they will try to reduce payments to the teams as they will not get the same coverage in repeats as they do live.
Remember it's aglobal Market. It's fia cameras that show the coverage. Key thing is what percentage are uk viewers.
Old 29-07-2011

Earlier in the month Renault pulled all advertising out from all News International publications: http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/secto...028272.article

Appreciate that Renault are, I believe, a minority shareholder of the F1 team, but will be interesting to hear feedback with regards to the SKY deal from the F1 teams. Surely they can't all be in favour of it.
Old 29-07-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Latest to come from a meeting today seems to suggest that the beeb will infact show the full race (obviously time shifted) instead of highlights for the races that they don't do live.

The general view seems to be that the concorde agreement isn't an issue. Bernie isn't completely stupid, he knows what's in the agreement as well or better than anyone, so he wouldn't do anything that he knows is against it.

Part of me isn't so bothered on a personal level. I'm a sky subscriber, so in theory it won't make a massive difference. That said, the cynic in me thinks it's unlikely that the coverage will be as good as it has been on the BBC for the last couple of years. The beeb's coverage has been getting better and better IMHO, and it's a shame to at least partially lose that.

That said, the "knowledge" in the beeb's coverage is debatable, they do miss a lot of things that are actually going on in a race.

The team's sponsorship is an interesting one. I wouldn't be surprised if it does cause some of the UK based teams some issues. F1 is a world wide sport, and this does only effect 50% of races in 1 country. However, it depends on how they have negotiated their deals. If it comes out that this does satisfy the Concorde agreement, but doesn't satisfy team's sponsors, they maybe they've negotiated something that they shouldn't really have done.

Just have to wait and see what happens I guess.

Btw - News corp do currently only own 39% of BSkyB, although as we know they have tried to buy the rest of it out as well.
Old 29-07-2011
Mad Member

Shite news
i dont watch much tv....so have no sky...only really watch the f1...what a waste of my license fee
stupid bernie...take off that stupid wig its obviously affecting your brains common sense gland
Old 29-07-2011

cant believe the shocking news,followed F1 for some 35 years and now im told i have to pay sky to watch it,whats all that about? Bernie Ecclestone keeps saying WE want to make F1 more exciting for the viewers at this rate there wont be any viewers,i cant afford the sports package,what is it £40.00 a month all in? not a cat in hells chance,id rather buy spares than give my money to the greedy B@st@rds. THANKS ALOT SKY
Old 30-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

i blame Jake H,i think its his doing after giving Mr E a hard time in the interview about back handers.....i bet the pubs will do well out of it to........

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 30-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
I've lost interest in F1 but this is still a shame. However I can't fault their coverage of the Moto GP. The commentators on sky for it are dull and stroke their beards far too much. The BBC commentators are ace. Likewise when I've watched F1 recently Jake Humphrey is doing a good job ! It's a shame but Sky is a business and it had a chance to buy it so they did. I wonder what the viewing figures will do now ?
It also looks like the BBC will be dropping moto GP as well so some are saying
Old 30-07-2011
Mad Member

It's interesting this. As far as I can make out...

2010 total worldwide F1 viewing figures - 500m people
Total revenue to F1 in 2010 - £520m consisting of "£260m from TV and £260m from race organisers to stage their races.
Sky/BBC deal £360m over six years, or £60m a year.

So it seems that Sky/BBC are paying 25% of the TV revenue. BBC do feed other countries, so I guess Sky will do the same.

Bearing in mind this all comes from unsubstantiated reports on 'tinterweb' it might not be right, but across several sources it seems to be in the general ballpark. 50% of the revenues seem to go to the teams in the form of prize money in the Constructors Championship, for which, IIRC, first prize is about £80m.

It doesn't make sense to me that one UK broadcaster pays a quarter of the revenue, so if anyone else has better information, let's read it. From an advertising viewpoint, losing (at worst) 60m viewers (20 GPs x 3m people watching in the UK) from a total of 500m isn't going to get the advertisers too hot and bothered! If the time-shift idea comes in then possibly they will lose no viewers. If they were going to time-shift it, then 7pm on BBC 3 would mean I'd miss less of them when I am racing!!
Old 30-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Looks like the bbc have gagged the presenters from saying anything about it. All we got from Jake was Im sure your aware of goings on but we're going to talk about whats happening ONTRACK.
For gods sake when Dierdrie got put in prison a few years back it questions were raised in the commons . The NOTW crap is all over the place and again in the commons so lets hope some mp has the balls to challange this.
Old 30-07-2011
Mad Member

It appears that BBC was paying £40m a year for TV rights. Under the new deal BBC pay £18m a year, and Sky pay £36m a year. So Bernie has managed to get another £14m a year out of UK TV rights for the teams to share. Don't see them making any waves...

No one is going to challenge this. It's a commercial deal that was negotiated freely by all the parties (although rumour has it the BBC frog-marched Sky to see Bernie!) and within any Laws that matter.

It's a done deal chaps. We can only hope that BBC can agree to time-shift the GPs they don't do live by a couple of hours so we can avoid having to become hermits between the GP and the highlights to avoid hearing the result!!
Old 30-07-2011

It's utter ballbag. I'm gutted. I don't want bloody Sky shite. Being able to watch the F1 on iplayer has been fantastic and the coverage the Beeb does is second to none.

W*nkers.
Old 30-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1467 View Post
It also looks like the BBC will be dropping moto GP as well so some are saying
Good, back to Eurosport live i hope. The BBC Moto GP commentators are rubbish.
Old 30-07-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonzo View Post
It's utter ballbag. I'm gutted. I don't want bloody Sky shite. Being able to watch the F1 on iplayer has been fantastic and the coverage the Beeb does is second to none.

W*nkers.
Guess I'm the only one looking forward to next year then, the one year Sky did show F1 on pay per view blew every thing ITV or the BBC have done before or since

Plus Martin Brundle is out of contract with the beeb at the end of the year, look to see Sky send lots of £s his way to.