Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 13-07-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Default TLR 22 Chassis, issue?

Right, ever since I have had my 22, it has always been a little wayward on the rear and aggressive on the front end. I have tried lots of things to try and remedy it, but all to no avail, so I have come to a conclusion that it must be the car at issue, not the setup.

I stripped the car back of all components and decided to put a straight edge on my chassis, front to rear, side to side, and diagonally. Seems there is an issue, and would like to ask if others could check theirs please.

What I found, from front to rear, the chassis bows up in the middle by about 1.5mm and only really drops down where you have the chassis bend for the front kick up and the joggle at the rear to lift the chassis.
Old 13-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'll check mine as it's coming off at the weekend to be replaced by the rossmod chassis.

I've always thought is was twisted - as when looking at the car front on it looked a little off. Might just be me, but i've looked at others and they looked twisted too - might just be an optical illusion - but I intent to measure it and check it too when I get it off the car.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 13-07-2011

This guy also had chassis issues --> http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74221
Old 13-07-2011

different issue by the looks
Old 14-07-2011

My problem was slightly different - but hey, how difficult can it with "30 years of experience" under the belt (TLR marketing slang) to manufacture a perfectly straight, untwisted and level chassis? With today's machinery that's EASY. The problem is that nowadays everything comes from China and has to be cheap, cheap, cheap... If the guys at Team Associated and Losi back in the 80s and 90s had thought that way, we would never have seen an RC10 or a Losi XX equipped with Hydra-Drive, etc.

But maybe it's just me getting old... the good old days!
Old 17-07-2011

the problem is, these days when your buying an AE or Losi, your not really buying an american product anymore.

But buy a jap car and you will not have any issues like these.
Old 17-07-2011
Mad Member

What you need is a British made speartooth chassis!
Old 17-07-2011

just got a new chassis for my 22 and i can see the old chassis is twisted and bowed.
Old 17-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
the problem is, these days when your buying an AE or Losi, your not really buying an american product anymore.

But buy a jap car and you will not have any issues like these.
I really couldn't give a shit where the car is 'manufactured', but I do expect that the thing comes straight, out of the box, not twisted, bent or bowed.

If the Speartooth was half the price, I would jump at it, but £150 is just to steep!
Old 17-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I really couldn't give a shit where the car is 'manufactured', but I do expect that the thing comes straight, out of the box, not twisted, bent or bowed.

If the Speartooth was half the price, I would jump at it, but £150 is just to steep!
but that's what you get when your buying AE/losi.

you get what you pay for.

I'm over yanky cars myself, I will only buy jap or euro/brit cars from now on.
Old 17-07-2011

Sorry, but being my thread, think I can say this, but you really are talking out of your but! I am an avid Tamiya fan, and I think they are brilliant bits of kit, but they are not cheap. I would say, the moulding on the 22 is as good as any Tamiya I have owned, I do think there is a QC issue on the Losi chassis, but to basically say, ALL non UK/Asian cars are better is just daft. I wouldn't class a Team C as high quality, or some of the other brands, and I most definitely wouldn't quote Schumacher as the epitome of quality either....
Old 18-07-2011

The problem is that, by and large, you get what you pay for. The TLR22 is fantastic value - a whole car, including two different gearbox mouldings, for £200 is impressive. However, something is going to give somewhere to get the price down to that mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I wouldn't say the Speartooth is steep - it's not cheap but when you look at what is included in the kit it is worth the money. There are 44 individual items in the kit including an undertray, instructions and base setup sheet. You won't need a single extra part to fit it (not even a screw) nor will you need to modify a single part of the existing car. We've put a lot of effort into the fit and finish of the kit and it will be fully supported through shops, drivers and ourselves. All of these things cost, but we don't believe in cutting corners - anything we release will be right and fully supported at the best price we can manage.
Old 18-07-2011

Price is relative though. The only reason I have percivered with the 22, is the way it handles the bumps. If it ment spending nearly the price of another kit for a chassis, it would of bee out the door. I no longer do nationals, and my racing is fun Regional and club level, so a 2wd which then owes me nearly £350 is just madness, I wouldn't even spend that on a saloon or a 4wd buggy.