Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 27-11-2014

Default Which GT12 Car???

Right now we have the choice of four cars.

Mardave's VRX and ilk

Tic Racing's Terminator

Schumacher's Superstox

Zen's RSGT12

Which begs the question, if I have been a good boy this year, what should Santa in his wisdom and GT12 know how put under the tree?
Old 27-11-2014

Personally I'd go for whatever there is the most of in your club, that way you can share setups/spares etc as required.
Old 28-11-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

The Mardave and superstox now have updated versions,
If your strafing from scratch I'd recommend the Schumacher GT s1 version
Old 28-11-2014
Mad Member

Agree with Mark. If this is your first GT12 then the Schumacher GT S1 version is the one to go for. Everything you need to get a competitive car is in the kit; it builds easily and first time; the instructions are excellent including set-up tips; it will take all the knocks you could reasonably give it; it takes the class-standard wheels, tyres and bodies.

The S1 chassis on the old car was plenty stiff enough and tough. Having the right springs and a diff will make it easy to get driving, things you don't get for that price from any of the others.

Be aware that the servo mount positions will not accept any of the Futaba-style mini servos (a mistake in my view) so you will need to confirm that any servo you already have will fit. If you don't have a mini servo, the Core RC one is good value.

If you already have a GT12 and are looking for something to upgrade, then any of them will give you a good drive. If Santa doesn't have to bring you a new kit in a box, think about a used Schumacher SupaStox. HTH
Old 01-12-2014

been used to having use of a cnc router and making my own stuff.
No access to one of those at the moment but was giving serious thought to getting a chassis made for me and doing a mix of all my favourite bits from the various cars.
I was liking the idea of using a Zen front end but something happened that has stopped me in my tracks a bit.
I have been racing a mardave for a long time. the front end is so worn that the wheels have serious wibbly wobble. So I replaced the worn bits to reduce the 'problem' to much more pleasing moderate wobble and, to my surprise, found it rather tricky to drive.
I have done all the usual things like polish the pins and make it work smooth and fiddled around with the balance and wheel alignment and there is no doubt. it definitely works nice when its half knackered.
Maybe am using too much castor angle and the car improves with wobble. Think I may reduce the castor.

Anyway, Schumacher definitely interesting now they have a proper back end on the car.
Old 01-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot Slice View Post
been used to having use of a cnc router and making my own stuff.
No access to one of those at the moment but was giving serious thought to getting a chassis made for me and doing a mix of all my favourite bits from the various cars.
I was liking the idea of using a Zen front end but something happened that has stopped me in my tracks a bit.
I have been racing a mardave for a long time. the front end is so worn that the wheels have serious wibbly wobble. So I replaced the worn bits to reduce the 'problem' to much more pleasing moderate wobble and, to my surprise, found it rather tricky to drive.
I have done all the usual things like polish the pins and make it work smooth and fiddled around with the balance and wheel alignment and there is no doubt. it definitely works nice when its half knackered.
Maybe am using too much castor angle and the car improves with wobble. Think I may reduce the castor.

Anyway, Schumacher definitely interesting now they have a proper back end on the car.
If you do the above it would not be legal and you would need to confirm your club would allow it to run. There is a carbon full option GT on the face book page for £100 but it will not be there long
Old 01-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
If you do the above it would not be legal and you would need to confirm your club would allow it to run. There is a carbon full option GT on the face book page for £100 but it will not be there long
I thought you was allowed to make bits for mod gt12
Old 01-12-2014
Mad Member

You are allowed to make things for GT12 SuperCup, except the chassis! HTH )
Old 02-12-2014

I dont have a problem running my contraptions at local clubs as I don't posses skill enough to get on anyone's biscuit.

Half the enjoyment for me is making a competitive car whilst sticking to the rules, except for the ones that say I cant unless I commercially manufacture.

I'm no judge of what is fair play and such but I do sometimes think that it would be a nice if competitors racing in a mod class could pit their technical wits against the manufacturers.
Preventing racers from using anything other than manufacturers chassis disallows any meaningful design change.

Seems like a contradiction in terms for a 'modded' class to be a manufacturer monopoly.

Anyone raced a Zen yet?

Last edited by Apricot Slice; 02-12-2014 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2014

There is not a modified gt12 class,there is production cup and super cup, the only difference is production is 17.5 and super is 13.5 motors.

The rues are such to prevent one off hybrids
Its also against the spirit of the class to say fit a supastox front end to a Zen rear end.

However, if your club allows you can do what you want.
Old 02-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
You are allowed to make things for GT12 SuperCup, except the chassis! HTH )
And production, motors being to only difference
Old 02-12-2014

Up to date now on BRCA GT12 Rules.

I cordially back peddle.

No issues what so ever.

Last edited by Apricot Slice; 02-12-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-12-2014
Mad Member

No problem. You do know that you are never going to get anywhere on [anti]social media with a reasonable and polite attitude like that!! Welcome the the great world of GT12.

My Zen approaches and I will be driving it in the New Year in a shootout test with the GT. I'll let you know how that goes. My senses say that whichever one you choose will give you mucho fun!
Old 08-12-2014

Zen or the new Mardave Assassin are the best way to. Both were running at the last West Suffolk club meeting and though I wasn't there the reports back state these have moved the goalposts further the new Schumacher
Old 08-12-2014

Schumacher GT won at Chippenham's CWIC meeting this weekend with a win in all 3 quali and both finals i believe.
Old 08-12-2014

It's all about the driver all the cars are very similar
Old 09-12-2014

http://youtu.be/6T2bplTQ2H8 this is a Schumacher GT with carbon chassis (mb models were doing a combo deal) built out of the box. (Edit - rear springs in outer position but otherwise as per the manual)

As mark says I think all of the cars are good. The nut behind the wheel makes the most difference :-)

www.ModelCarParties.co.uk - Radio Controlled Car Racing Events - Kids Parties, Fetes, Exhibitions etc

www.ElliottsDrivingSchool.co.uk - driving lessons, trailer training, young driving experience (14+). Areas covered include - Huntingdon, Cambridge, Peterborough, Bedford and surrounding towns / villages.

Last edited by racingben; 09-12-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 14-12-2014

I honestly don't think it matters which chassis you go for. I'm winning quite a few top heat races with a basic grp chassis mardave vrxce. This is against the latest Schumacher and zen cars.

Tyres and setup make more difference than the chassis.
Old 14-12-2014

...and thumbs make more difference than tyres and setup
Old 14-12-2014