Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 06-03-2020

Which begs the question why make them if we can't run them?
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 06-03-2020
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig View Post
In the BRCA rules it states lipos cannot be charged over 4.2v per cell i.e. 8.4v for a 2s. This is a hard and fast rule. If caught charging over this you could be removed from club/meeting etc.

At BRCA sanctioned events voltage is measured before each run.
Oh ok thanks for the info. I just stick them on charge and wait for it to finish charging. Should I be doing something different?
Old 07-03-2020
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosborne6661 View Post
What's it like running the 13.5t blinky Neal? Is it good fun and do you have a few of you running them?

I have just bought a 17.5t to try out for a bit of fun!
Yeah I was really good fun actually. We had a heat of 6 who would normally be quite close running modified, so it it was just good close fun racing, easier on tyres and still competitive. We also had a lower heat of 6 drivers running 13.5.
I do think a lot of club racers who start out with the fastest motor the can buy would all be doing themselves a favour running 13.5T stock until they need to progress. I found it so much more easier to drive, you can actually think about racing lines and being precise on the track, and just getting faster due to not needing to be marshalled.
Next indoor season at Batley Buggy Club we'll be promoting the 13.5T to beginners and those wanting a less crazy pace of racing.

York club have a good competitive 17.5 class which has proven successful for their beginner racers.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-03-2020
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilRalph77 View Post
Which begs the question why make them if we can't run them?
LiHV packs? They have a natural built in safety margin when charged to BRCA requirement of 8.4V instead of 8.6-7V. And you'll never get to the full quoted capacity as you are charging to a point under its peak voltage and capacity. LiHV (High Voltage) are 4.35V per cell vs the 4.20V of the standard Lipo, and typically have a higher energy density than the equivalent Lipo pack.
Cell production factories have mostly switched now to producing the LiHV formulation cells, and so the RC battery assemblers will just use the stocks that are readily available, and mark them up as LiHV.

I imagine it wont be too long before the 8.4V charge limit it re-addressed by the sanctioning bodies once Lipo packs are no longer common, and everyone has switched to LiHV. I've been running LiHV now for two seasons, charging of course to 8.4V, and have found them to be excellent.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by neallewis; 07-03-2020 at 03:23 AM.
Old 07-03-2020
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Yeah I was really good fun actually. We had a heat of 6 who would normally be quite close running modified, so it it was just good close fun racing, easier on tyres and still competitive. We also had a lower heat of 6 drivers running 13.5.
I do think a lot of club racers who start out with the fastest motor the can buy would all be doing themselves a favour running 13.5T stock until they need to progress. I found it so much more easier to drive, you can actually think about racing lines and being precise on the track, and just getting faster due to not needing to be marshalled.
Next indoor season at Batley Buggy Club we'll be promoting the 13.5T to beginners and those wanting a less crazy pace of racing.

York club have a good competitive 17.5 class which has proven successful for their beginner racers.
Love this! Makes buggies appealing again for me

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 07-03-2020
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig View Post
In the BRCA rules it states lipos cannot be charged over 4.2v per cell i.e. 8.4v for a 2s. This is a hard and fast rule. If caught charging over this you could be removed from club/meeting etc.

At BRCA sanctioned events voltage is measured before each run.
or if reported to brca loose your licence.
Old 07-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosborne6661 View Post
Love this! Makes buggies appealing again for me
already tought thectop guys are discussing lipos and having the "wrong motor" or car.....

the Joy's of stock I'm afraid fun but soon gets silly

Last edited by mark christopher; 07-03-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-03-2020
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
already tought thectop guys are discussing lipos and having the "wrong motor" or car.....

Yes, he'd swapped in a newer muchmore with titanium rotor from his TC, and it was revs biased, not torque, so used it as the excuse as to why I was faster. I just stuck in an old 13.5t I used to use in LMP12.

Someone else was also running a new hot trinity motor, which looked fast between mistakes.

Everyone was broadly the same on the straight though, but I could certainly pull away on the infield. Was it the motor, battery, gearing, the car/chassis or was it driving?
Old 07-03-2020

Quote:

Really don't know why your bashing just stock class with this argument. It is the same in any class, on road or off road.
If people have the finances/sponsorship to put in a new battery/motor/tyres/esc/servo in every heat because it may be faster they will. In any motorsport from RC to F1 financial advantages has always been there and is a factor in equipment performance, just ask ferrari and mercedes.

It's all part of racing.
BECAME BATLEY BUGGY CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBER
GOT A KC TO WHILST WAITING FOR THE LAYDOWN
NOW DRIVING A COUGAR LAYDOWN
KC CONVERTED TO KD FOR THE WET

Last edited by stormyyyy; 07-03-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormyyyy View Post
Really don't know why your bashing just stock class with this argument. It is the same in any class, on road or off road.
If people have the finances/sponsorship to put in a new battery/motor/tyres/esc/servo in every heat because it may be faster they will. In any motorsport from RC to F1 financial advantages has always been there and is a factor in equipment performance, just ask ferrari and mercedes.

It's all part of racing.
Beg to differ I'm not bashing it, I'm pointing out what happens in blinkey, been racing 35 odd years now and seen many things and raced many classes. Inc competative blinky.
I'll be happy if I'm proved wrong this time next year, but over the pond the evidence is there.
I'll build my spare ld into a spec class car and warm my icarger up

oh and as for Ferrari etc and f1, they spend a fortune, not just because they can, they are looking for every last bit from their package...

Last edited by mark christopher; 08-03-2020 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-03-2020
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:

It's all part of racing.
I think you've taken Marks comments the wrong way.
Mark races at our club, and follows the race talk banter on our facebook group. Out of that context he was referring to a conversation I was involved with, and having a poke at it.

I agree with Mark on the comments about stock racing. It can get very silly (see what happened to GT12 class or stateside stock racing), but the guys racing at our club wont let it get silly. We'll just go back and race modified and let anyone who wants to run the stock motor pace get on with it.
most people have just stuck in a basic 13.5t motor, or pulled an old one out of a TC or LMP/GT12 car. for the last few meetings of our indoor season its just a bit of fun. Next year we'll also offer it for whoever wants to race it, but suggest it for beginners and old timers, or anyone who wants a bit slower pace to learn to get round without crashing.
Old 08-03-2020

Default stock class

a stock spec car like those raced in the US will cost you 3 times the cost of a modified car as everything is geared to make the car as light as it legally can be which costs a lot of money. We state that all new drivers run 13.5t motors at our club in our rookie class this is to do with teaching them how to drive the car not the car drive them and have them bouncing all over the track and into other cars and breaking not just there own but others. When we first switched to eos carpet we did introduce a motor limit of 10.5t the racing was close and fun but to bring in a true stock class you would have to have specific rules and regulations i.e cars have to be out the box no lightweight parts set motors only x motors from a list to be used same with batteries so it would be down to pure driving. the one problem for a club any club to do this is to actually scrutineer the cars to make sure no one is cheating most club racing only have time to book in and race with track setting up(for many clubs that's because there is not many who have a permanent indoor track) and time limiting with the venues they race in most have set times to be in and out
Old 08-03-2020

Quote:
Beg to differ I'm not bashing it, I'm pointing out what happens in blinkey, been racing 35 odd years now and seen many things and raced many classes. Inc competative blinky.
I'll be happy if I'm proved wrong this time next year, but over the pond the evidence is there.
I'll build my spare ld into a spec class car and warm my icarger up

oh and as for Ferrari etc and f1, they spend a fortune, not just because they can, they are looking for every last bit from their package...
The thing is I don't think your wrong about how it will go, my point was that I only see this argument about motors and batteries when stock is mentioned and the reality is it happens in all of rc but hardly anyone ever mentions it.

As for the ferrari/mercedes bit at the end does that not prove my point. People who can afford will do everything to get the best out of there package.
BECAME BATLEY BUGGY CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBER
GOT A KC TO WHILST WAITING FOR THE LAYDOWN
NOW DRIVING A COUGAR LAYDOWN
KC CONVERTED TO KD FOR THE WET
Old 08-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
I think you've taken Marks comments the wrong way.
Mark races at our club, and follows the race talk banter on our facebook group. Out of that context he was referring to a conversation I was involved with, and having a poke at it.

I agree with Mark on the comments about stock racing. It can get very silly (see what happened to GT12 class or stateside stock racing), but the guys racing at our club wont let it get silly. We'll just go back and race modified and let anyone who wants to run the stock motor pace get on with it.
most people have just stuck in a basic 13.5t motor, or pulled an old one out of a TC or LMP/GT12 car. for the last few meetings of our indoor season its just a bit of fun. Next year we'll also offer it for whoever wants to race it, but suggest it for beginners and old timers, or anyone who wants a bit slower pace to learn to get round without crashing.
thank you neal, that exactly
Old 08-03-2020

Quote:
The thing is I don't think your wrong about how it will go, my point was that I only see this argument about motors and batteries when stock is mentioned and the reality is it happens in all of rc but hardly anyone ever mentions it.

As for the ferrari/mercedes bit at the end does that not prove my point. People who can afford will do everything to get the best out of there package.

I'm not sure you get it.
open if you want more speed, fit a faster motor, you dont need the best lipo motor or speedo, and many run older gear.
run stock and the only way to go faster is fresh motors lipo and better speedo.
Old 08-03-2020

In modified power outweighs grip so it's more about tyres. In Stock every last drop of power counts. So new batteries, latest motor, charging at silly amps all make the difference and to some, not all they will do this too win. Others will not and not be able to keep up so will stick a £20 2nd hand motor in and go back to mod.
Old 08-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev B View Post
In modified power outweighs grip so it's more about tyres. In Stock every last drop of power counts. So new batteries, latest motor, charging at silly amps all make the difference and to some, not all they will do this too win. Others will not and not be able to keep up so will stick a £20 2nd hand motor in and go back to mod.
Old 17-03-2020
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

For what it's worth...

I will race 'Blinky' next winter at MB as I enjoyed it.
You DO need the right gear - and the right setup - which I proved by turning up with an incorrect motor / rotor and having no pace.

Following week - with the correct rotor in the same old 13.5 Much More - I was flying and much, much quicker then the previous week. Also geared the car a lot higher and it liked it. In fact my times we so close to Mod it was silly - and faster than most there that night

Re Blinky issues - people will 'cheat' and do silly things regardless of class - be that using more sets of tyres than permitted / abusing lipo's and overcharging as well as cutting the track. Some people are idiots - that's just life.

If you have a decent bunch of people racing blinky - it just allows some close racing and less tyre wear - what's not to like

Re original post - I put back around 2000mah into a pack - so no chance of 'dumping' !

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk