Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Xtreme - VEGA

Old 15-06-2010

Question Diff set up

Hello,

Just getting the last things together on my new X11 and one of the guys at my local hbby shop suggested I tighten up my diffs a bit before trying to break in the car (Granted, this is the first Pred ever to grace the shop since I live in the US, but seems like a good thing to have set correctly). Can anyone tell me what the best way to tighten the diffs is? Plus, how do I adjust the slipper and what am I looking for in its setting?

Thanks,

Roger
Old 15-06-2010

If my memory serves me correctly, you need to 'break down' the side of the car (undo the top camber link at the hub) & pull the driveshaft out of the outdrive, then use an allen key to adjust the diff. Pretty much standard practice. Don't forget you only need to make very small adjustments.

The slipper is adjusted by using a spanner on the little nut just infront of the spur gear. Put a spanner (used to be 3/8" I think, but it might be metric now) on the nut, hold it in position then either roll the car forwards or backwards allowing the transmission to rotate, this will tighten / untighten the spur gear. Job done.
Old 15-06-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012

The best way to do it is with the diff out of the car, Put an allen driver or similar in either side, hold them both and you should only just be able to turn the crown wheel...

Be careful when you are tightening up the diff, if you tighten it too much you might crack the diff rings...

Hope that helps

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374
Old 15-06-2010

Personally i get them to a point where i can't make them slip with moderate force by hand out of the car, then put them in the car and build it up as normal. you'll find they should slip fairly easy now with the wheels on.

I then run the diffs in by holding say a quarter throttle and holding one wheel at a time for approx 5 seconds. If the diff is slipping very easily, ill tighten the diff by a quarter turn and repeat until its close to not slipping and then ill tighten by say an 8th of a turn each time.

I consider mine tight enough when the slipper slips before the diff does, but obviously you need to be careful the slipper isnt too tight otherwise you'll end up breaking the crown gear like i did sunday

Main thing is your start loose and work it up so you dont break the rings!