Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Xtreme - VEGA

Old 16-06-2010

Question What Servo?

Hello,

What servo are you guys running in your cars? I placed a full size JR in my car from an old 1/8 scale I had and the steering seems to bind up a bit. I actually think the steering linkage is a little tight but I can seem to get it to loosen up, any suggestions. I still have not been able to drive the car yet so some of this might go away once everything is broken in.

Cheers!
Old 16-06-2010
BANNED

The type of servo you choose will not affect if the linkages bind up.

The steering mechanism is fully ball-raced so should run perfectly free when built correctly.

Spend some time on in - process of elimination to find out what is binding, check the link rod slides freely accross the chassis and that the hubs turn freely.

There are a few post in threads here with different install pics, have a look. Most folk use low profile servos, however if you run a small ESC like the Tekin (or maybe a brushed warrior!) it will fit on top of the servo.

Ellis Stafford's is below, a good way to fit a large ESC in.

SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.

Last edited by Stu; 16-06-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 16-06-2010
Kev Lee oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanota View Post
Hello,

What servo are you guys running in your cars? I placed a full size JR in my car from an old 1/8 scale I had and the steering seems to bind up a bit. I actually think the steering linkage is a little tight but I can seem to get it to loosen up, any suggestions. I still have not been able to drive the car yet so some of this might go away once everything is broken in.

Cheers!
One reason i can think that the steering may bind a little is if there is no steel washer above the orange steering links. Because they are alloy it can deform slightly and bind on the bearing when you tighten the shoulder screw that goes through the X-Brace. If you use a steel washer it stops this happening as there is a robust surface to tighten against.

Other than that it may be the plastic ball joints on the hub (top and bottom). it's important that these are angled so they are square to the screw that holds them. Remember to check this everytime you adjust the camber (this goes for the rear links too)

If the steering is binding its worth isolating what's causing it as it will effect the handling. But as you say after a run it will loosen up bit if its just becaus it's all new.

I use a full sizee servo and mount the receiver on the servo. I use the (awesome and tiny) Tekin so it fits nicely in front of the servo.

Kev
Old 17-06-2010

the savox low profile like on the picture is a good one
I have it in my pred for some time and I'm very happy of it

cheers
Old 17-06-2010

I personally prefer a low profile servo, if your receiver is small enough to take advantage of it.

this is mine right now: