Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 06-08-2010

Send a message via ICQ to daKING Send a message via AIM to daKING Send a message via Skype™ to daKING
Unhappy Decision Time 4WD Buggy

I'm Reading and comparing since Weeks 4WD Buggys but i'm not sure which one
Actually i drive an Cougar SV (bevor Car B4) and want drive 4WD also.
My favorites at the Moment are:

Cat SX2, Durango, TRF 511, X11

Parts avaliability is no problem i'll buy enough on Stock for me.
B44 i dont like so much... so thats no option.

Could anyone help me in my decission?
Old 06-08-2010

if I was to buy one of them, from what ive seen id go for the durango dx410r.

www.aranwilcox.com
Old 06-08-2010

Yeah, for the money the Durango 'R' is a fantastic bit of kit
Old 06-08-2010

Another Vote here for the 410R !
Old 07-08-2010

TRF511.

out of all the cars above, the tamiya is the most reliable.

Cat sx2, have heard alot of people having problems with bearings, idler gears, and other problems that people with the original cat didnt have.

Durango, also bearing issues, diffs leaking, ball stud/cup not up to the task, drive shaft pin issues, and if your talking about the cheaper R version, the alloy shock mounts look like they bend easily.

x11, dont know much about this car personally, but I heard the quality is not very good, well a few years ago anyway.

if it were me, either the trf511, or B44 and zx5 fs which you have not listed.
Old 07-08-2010
Thieving scumbag

Ansmann x4pro it's really up there with the rest
Old 07-08-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

If I didnt already have a B44, I would probably be going for the Durango 410R Cheapo one, its still nice!
Old 07-08-2010

kyosho zx5fs
Old 10-08-2010

I have the TRF511 and I would choose the same car again. I love how it drives and it is very easy to work on. Parts are easy to find, especially in Germany where you live. Parts are really not a problem as the car is very durable and strong. Like most cars there are weak points right out of the box, but they are very easy to fix on the TRF511.

While I have been impressed with Durango's design and looks they where ridiculed at the Swedish Nationals held recently. Their wheel axles are apparently not up to the task. Four Durangos lost wheels due to broken wheel axles.

The Kyosho Lazer may look like a plastic toy compared to the carbon fibre and alloy rockets from Tamiya and Durango, but it is equally fast.
Old 10-08-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouton View Post
I have the TRF511 and I would choose the same car again. I love how it drives and it is very easy to work on. Parts are easy to find, especially in Germany where you live. Parts are really not a problem as the car is very durable and strong. Like most cars there are weak points right out of the box, but they are very easy to fix on the TRF511.

While I have been impressed with Durango's design and looks they where ridiculed at the Swedish Nationals held recently. Their wheel axles are apparently not up to the task. Four Durangos lost wheels due to broken wheel axles.

The Kyosho Lazer may look like a plastic toy compared to the carbon fibre and alloy rockets from Tamiya and Durango, but it is equally fast.
Thats the key - the Lazer looks like a plastic toy from a ditance

Look at one up close and work with one

They are far from a toy and in my opinion far better engineered than all the other buggy's (maybe tamiya is close)
Old 10-08-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanks View Post
Thats the key - the Lazer looks like a plastic toy from a ditance

Look at one up close and work with one

They are far from a toy and in my opinion far better engineered than all the other buggy's (maybe tamiya is close)
Well said.. another vote for the FS!

Definatley not a plastic toy, have a good look at one and you will change your opinion.. FS2 shell is a big improvement on the original FS Shell..

Old 10-08-2010

I too thought "plastic toy" when I saw the FS, it's a similar story with the B-MAX too. They look plastic fantastic but in reality they are great cars!

Honestly, a lot of the alloy and CF parts included on 1/10 buggies are just bling and really don't serve a good purpose that aids the performance of the car, sure it probably increases durability but not that much.

In 1/8 scale, the 808 was released by Xray and stepped back a little from all the fancy aluminium braces, cnc parts e.t.c and was very very plastic, turned out it was the toughest damn thing at the track.
Old 11-08-2010

What about the Kyosho Lazer SP? Is it a good car? Takes stickpack.
Old 11-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry @ JE Spares View Post
I too thought "plastic toy" when I saw the FS, it's a similar story with the B-MAX too. They look plastic fantastic but in reality they are great cars!
DB01R is a similar proposition too - all the benefits of the 511 plus enclosed transmission and it takes stick packs
Old 17-08-2010

I have the TRF511 and it is an incredible car - built like a tank and runs like a dream. The only thing that should be added is titanium turnbuckles. The ONLY weakness of the TRF511 is the open-diff concept. There have been a couple of manufacturers of diffs for the car, but it still tends to get too much dirt in it - this makes it alot of work to maintain. But the car is of INCREDIBLE quality (except as I said the steel turnbuckles). The race the hell out of this car and it never fails. I have broken the odd suspension arm, but this is no fault of the car (just my driving).

Get the TRF511 and you won't be disappointed.

As for the DEX, I just think it looks silly and it has some pretty astonishing weaknesses (someone mentioned broken axles and I have seen this at my track). A broken axle is just a bad sign.

The schumacher is a great car, but I have seen blown bearings on this car at my track.

Other than that, my second choice would be the Kyosho Lazer FS2.
Old 17-08-2010
Mad Member

Well, I have almost every car available on the market... and the B44 is by far the best. It just works like a charm everywhere! There's no fuss, and it's super reliable!

Get a different shell if you don't like the looks! Myself I use a D4 shell on it.

I know you didn't consider it, but I'd REALLY reconsider!

The XX4 is even better to drive, but with the power these days and high grip tracks, the narrow belts tend to break too often.

As to the DEX I'm sure the R-version is cured as opposed to the first version. A new car normally has some child deceases.

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom