Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 28-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
cant see what he would have to gaine buy saying anything other than the results he got,??
About £50 per person (sometimes more)
Old 28-01-2013
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePimlott View Post
About £50 per person (sometimes more)
lmfao very trusting of you mike
but then if that were true what would he look like
Old 28-01-2013

Quote:
not two cars one person but two people using mrt bugs using same numbers happens allot

some clubs run to brca rules and have no need to but then you would have to buy legal lipo motor RC weather you wont to or not, if you go to a club running rc4 and expect them to accommodate you using a mrt same rules apply ,
You mean a transponder clash? Two random people with the same no. Yeah it can happen, not seen it in the couple of years I've been back racing to be fair, MRT have the 1+20 numbers though, I'm pretty sure it'd have to be a hell of an unfortunate situation to use all of those possibilities at a single race meeting - but that's not what this is for surely? If you own the purcy number and +1 +2 etc then you can only be racing one at once the same as if you had more than one Harry on the same number (that is possible, right?)

I don't expect any club to accommodate me if I'm not running the correct equipment and I know if I want to race somewhere with rc4 then it's up to me to get the right kit, my choice entirely.

I'm not against changing mine if I have to, I'm on the verge of doing it anyway,as I'm sure a lot of people are at the moment, to ensure I can race wherever I choose in the future, it may cost me 60 quid or whatever, not a lot when you consider other costs as people have pointed out, but if it isn't necessary I'd rather spend my 60 quid on something else to be honest, anything else in fact!

EDIT I didn't actually mean one person running multiple cars, that would take mad skillz! I meant people on the same team etc running multiple cars at once with same pt - just worded it badly!
Old 28-01-2013

get a harry future proof works on all amb mylaps etc
Old 28-01-2013
Administrator

Actually I moaned about it yesterday Carl, my point being that it was outdated. It was fairly useless when it could have helped since the team drivers got cells and motors that were better than the public could possibly hope to buy, simple as that.
Manufacturers made it even - it's them we should be thanking for bringing the awesome lipo and brushless technology that makes the cars more than fast enough and able to race a couple of times on one charge.

Just my personal opinion - if you want drivers to enjoy racing then the rules need to be sensible and reflect what matters most, safe fun and a relaxed atmosphere.
Old 29-01-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
didnt rob nelson do back to back testing useing two systems one running rc3 one running rc4 to test that out,im sure he mentioned it on here somewere it was run and 2 3 meetings and the mrt's were hit and miss when they worked on the rc4 software, cant see what he would have to gaine buy saying anything other than the results he got,?? all this moaning and yet never heard anyone moan about having to use brca legal cells or lipos, or even motors,whys that
Motors and cells are a totally different matter. They affect you at regional or national level, if you run in that arena, what was legal last year should be legal forever, the difference in this is that clubs are underhandedly being coerced into upgrading, if they do it now, bbk sell you lots of new pt's as that is all that bbk are saying will run, why would he say any different, but what it does is force the driver to change a piece of fit and forget equipment that is fully serviceable, due to a protocol change. If bbk said that RC3 would still be supported, then there would be no issue.

Take my club, i would say 95% of all our regulars run mrt, we have an rc3 decoder. If that develops a fault and has to be repaired, we will get an rc4 decoder back, all those club members would then be forced into buying new pt. All it would take is for rc3 to be supported and the issue goes away mostly.
Old 29-01-2013

same could be said of hand out transponder i never had a pt until brca said the support for them had dropped then i had to buy two mrt buggs,now because of updates outside are little hobby we have to change to genuine amb's theres two choices here do it or dont, the risk is ours
we did it before all this came about because we had probs with missed laps and it was pointed out to me if you go stand at race control and look at the signals strenght then go check all the low signal counts showing all were mrt buggs, guess what they were all mrt buggs,
Old 29-01-2013

Send a message via MSN to jaysllim
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Just my personal opinion - if you want drivers to enjoy racing then the rules need to be sensible and reflect what matters most, safe fun and a relaxed atmosphere.

Sounds like the oople race there jimmy
Old 29-01-2013

Quote:
all this moaning and yet never heard anyone moan about having to use brca legal cells or lipos, or even motors,whys that
the difference is, you had a choice of manufactures.
This amb/mylaps system will be a monopoly,
This whole issue has come about supposedly because of F1,
i,m gonna ask Bernie Echolsstone for a new ptx

Last edited by Col; 29-01-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 29-01-2013

Default Mrt reply (re RC4)

Heres MRT,s reply;
We are currently investigating RC4 system compatibility.

Reports are that some work, others not, some inconsistent
detection, also that by adjusting a decoders sensitivity
it's possible to get them working. The latest RC4 spec
transponders don't work on RC2 and older RC3 decoders,
whereas RC4 hybrid 'dual signal' transponders work ok.

Regards,
Terry Stockham

So its now down to the RD to try and adjust the RC4 decoder,to accept MRT pt,s if they choose to !!!

Last edited by rhino20; 29-01-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added
Old 29-01-2013

Isn't the whole point of the argument down to the cost of the mylaps transponder.

If the new mylaps transponder went for £25 to £35 for one would that stop this whole argument?

I remember when the PT's were first introduce they offered an introductory price of £32 then everyone complained when the price shot up to £80.

The question is who is bumping the price up and can the BRCA cut them out?
Old 29-01-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

if there is a trade in price, why can that not be a permanant price?
Old 29-01-2013

Pricing is a balance and also an effort to maximise profits. For a vendors perspective they want to get the maximum from their products so therefore the highest price that people will pay. If they reduced the price to £25 each would they sell three times as many? No they would not as most people will pay £80 each so everyone who needs one already has one. You would certainly sell a few more but not enough to match the profits at £80. Equally raise the price to say £200 each and you would price yourself out of the market and a different solution would appear from MRT or somewhere else.

Note that the MRT price is lower but not that much lower at £50 or so as they know that people will pay it

The fact that second hand they go for £40 or so tells you that the pricing is about right. If no one purchased them they would have to make them cheaper or more likely stop making them.
Old 29-01-2013
Mad Member

Let's get the facts in perspective...

AMB is a business working in a free market. It has carved out an almost unique position completely unchallenged by any other serious competitor. Like any other business, it exploits that position. Suck it up and stop moaning, no one is going to change their minds on this as they have no reason to change their minds!

The UK importer is a business working in a free market... (See above!)

As for the whole host of conspiracy theories, why would a company with a market-leading position bother to waste their time to conspire to do something underhand? All it needs to do is market a product under its own terms... and that is exactly what it is doing. Unless and until a competitor emerges that we all take seriously by ditching AMB and buying their new product, there will be no change. And just where is that competitor?

If anyone wants to go back to the days of missed laps using the handouts, or using the hand counting of a PC with the consequent arguments on your split time depending on when the lap counter pushed the button, please form an orderly queue at a club nowhere near me! £80 to know exactly how far I went in the race and have a complete set of lap times to use to check my set-up and driving lines... for the next ten years... bargain!
Old 29-01-2013
Administrator

I was talking to a little lad and his gran at the weekend - they were interested in getting him racing so I was giving some sage advice. I forgot to mention he'd need to spend £80 on a stupid little box that cost 1p to produce - you might not care, some people will, I do.

It's funny when I press the shift key and forget to let go - RC$
Old 29-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
I was talking to a little lad and his gran at the weekend - they were interested in getting him racing so I was giving some sage advice. I forgot to mention he'd need to spend £80 on a stupid little box that cost 1p to produce - you might not care, some people will, I do.

It's funny when I press the shift key and forget to let go - RC$
Very much agreed,

There was nothing wrong with RC3 set up and my MRT p/t's have worked faultlessly for nearly 3 seasons.

So far my calendar for 2013 needs absolutely no need for a Harry or Billy or Jonny, checked with the venues and can race all season, nearly every weekend without upgrading!

For those fans of AMB/Mylaps... just type in 'AMB transponder price increase' into google and read the horror of how they operate their business in full sized motorsport,

If you believe Harrys will be around in 10 years then you are very mistaken... they have already released its replacement, it won't belong before they are phased out and we are heading for an expensive future.
Old 29-01-2013

Yet again we hark back to the old 'if anyone wants to go back to counting laps on an abacus or scrawling them in charcoal on a cave wall...etc etc' NOBODY is saying lets go back to the eighties, We already have a completely working system, it counts laps, excellent, what more do we need?

So which will you buy which you can guarantee will work for the next 10 years?

Harry? Already superseded by the Purcy, which decoder upgrade will drop support for anything but the Purcy and it's extra digit? Planned obsolescence.

Or

Purcy? Won't work at the clubs which don't upgrade to RC4 so pretty useless at the moment if you race at more than one club

If the Percy was backwards compatible with RC3 then I would have already ordered two myself to save myself all the hassle, but I strongly dislike the thought of having to change them again at the next big step in improving an already perfectly fine system...PTs are great, they are fantastic, but the only one I favour is the one I've already bought.

I don't expect anything I say here to make the slightest difference to the situation, yes all companies involved are money making businesses operating in a free market, but it doesn't mean I have to like it!

Last edited by adam_u; 29-01-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 29-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Harry won't go obsolete any time soon - its actually an RC4 transponder too, it just lacks the extra digit that Purcy has, so anything that read Purcy will read Harry. I can imagine support for Pete and Handout transponders disappearing in the next revision though.

The interesting part of this debate is at the moment RC4 is literally pointless. The Purcy is only just out and with so many clubs still on RC3 not a good purchase. A Harry might seem like a good idea, but remember that a Harry on RC4 is no different from a Harry on RC3 - all the new features are Purcy only.

I'm pretty sure there is no anti-MRT plot going on here. If anything, the MRT issue is unfortunate for Mylaps - its a reason for clubs not to go RC4 which kinda ruins their Purcy plans.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 29-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Harry won't go obsolete any time soon - its actually an RC4 transponder too, it just lacks the extra digit that Purcy has, so anything that read Purcy will read Harry. I can imagine support for Pete and Handout transponders disappearing in the next revision though.

The interesting part of this debate is at the moment RC4 is literally pointless. The Purcy is only just out and with so many clubs still on RC3 not a good purchase. A Harry might seem like a good idea, but remember that a Harry on RC4 is no different from a Harry on RC3 - all the new features are Purcy only.

I'm pretty sure there is no anti-MRT plot going on here. If anything, the MRT issue is unfortunate for Mylaps - its a reason for clubs not to go RC4 which kinda ruins their Purcy plans.
very elegantly put Si, i agree 100%
i guess i lack the English skills to put it down as you did
Old 29-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Harry won't go obsolete any time soon - its actually an RC4 transponder too,
Unfortunately once we are all using a single manufacturers product and their sales are low then RC5 etc will pop out and the clubs and drivers will have to spend out again on upgrades when it only supports Purcy's and handouts are obsolete... who is to say that won't be next year?

why are they refusing to carry on support for their existing RC3 product?

TBH its a big blow to the hobby when its not really needed and at a time where spending money is something most are concerned with, whether clubs or drivers or potential newbies.

Does anyone know how much the Decoder upgrade is costing clubs since its not listed?

I don't like the fact thats been mentioned in you have to buy a new one if its faulty/wear and tear issues rather than repair.