Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 18-11-2014

Default serpent gear diff in 22

after becoming frustrated with constantly having to clean diff oil out if my gearbox and replacing the bearings on the diff until i get round to cleaning them,

after trying the associated gear diff after seeing people recommending that they dropped straight in, and finding that wasnt the case with the one that i got - had a high spot that i couldnt get rid of, i had a further rummage around the joy that is the internet and found that the gear diff for the Serpent SRX-2 had the same number of teeth as the Losi- 51 compared to the Associated's 52.

http://www.serpent.com/product/500192

ordered it from http://eliterc-online.co.uk
and have just fitted it.
i put 0.5mm shims on either side of the diff as it is a little thinner than the Losi diffs, but fits straight in otherwise, and have put the Serpent recommended 7000K oil in after trying 5000k which felt a little loose. 7k feels about the same as 3k in the losi one.

will run it tonight at maritime and see how it goes. and how much oil is out of the diff at the end of the meeting.
Old 19-11-2014

so far, so good.
no problems last night. got my personal best time for the current layout at maritime (2 laps off FTD mind)

nothing appears to be leaking outside the gearbox, but will have to wait until next week to check as i am away for work until then.
and might try thicker diff oil as it feels much looser than the losi diff still.
Old 19-11-2014

When you say it feels lose the diff or the back end of the car when you are driving it ?
Old 20-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimidol View Post
When you say it feels lose the diff or the back end of the car when you are driving it ?
Feels loose to turn by hand.
Still getting to grips with tuning with a geared diff. And running at a meeting where I have enough time between races to change the diff oil.
Old 20-11-2014

very interesting, my gear diff also leaks and the outdrive ware so quick. If this goes well for you i may try it myself
Old 22-11-2014

Hi Richm,

I to was looking at this option. Is the slot of the outdrive for the pin of the wishbone the same? Also is the measurement from outdrive end to outdrive end the same as the Losi?

Jeff
Old 23-11-2014

the driveshaft fits in no problem.
havent actually measured anything more than that.

the only measurement i made was to check the width to fit in the gearbox - the serpent diff is 1.3mm narrower.

depending on when / if i get home tomorrow and jet lag, i will do some more measuring whilst i check for any leakage, and probably change the oil for something a bit thicker.
Old 26-11-2014

Thanks Richm
Old 26-11-2014

no problem.
did some measuring when i had the diff apart on tuesday.
from the outer edge of the outdrives, the serpent diff is about 1.2mm longer, but its the same size from the base of the U.

it didnt appear to have leaked either.