Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 24-04-2015

Hoping this wiring meets the seal of approval..??
Old 24-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucartwright View Post
(still don't understand the IF's abbreviation)
Independant Front Suspension (IFS)
Old 24-04-2015

Doh..... 😜
Old 24-04-2015

Kv ratings are like BHP on real cars they are tested at perfect conditions not actually at the wheel. I looked at a Traxxas slash 4x4 Rtr and in their statements with a 3 cell 20c battery the car could hit 70mph using a 3500kv motor, I fitted a 4500kv motor and 50c Lipo it was very hard to keep the wheels on the ground but clocked over distance was just short of 60mph but rpm of my motor was tested at 36500rpm unloaded (theoretically capable) but without torque it's not a useable figure. People use the TP motor because it has the torque and RPM needed, I use an old SP motor in mine an it is cooking at the end of 5 minutes but not far off the pace of others
Old 24-04-2015

My car on the scale post the strip down and weight watcher crash diet.
Boom!! Very happy boy.
Old 24-04-2015
Mad Member

Stu - wiring... sweet...! Weight looks good - that's gonna take some lead to get to th limit!!

Beale - great summary. KV ratings are like BHP ratings - half the story. Power = torque x revs. More torque (diesel) with less power can give the same performance as more revs (petrol) with less torque. KV as a measure is not helpful.

Mark - how much more or less anti-roll are you getting with that strap compared to the beam? As you increase the spring rate the anti-roll effect gets less, so will you tune the strap to the springs? Seems to me is would be cheaper and simpler to get a couple of beams and thin them down to have the same effect - just my thoughts...

GT Nationals on Sunday - I can't wait!

Last edited by SlowOne; 24-04-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 24-04-2015

Beale - SlowOne - that was why I went with the Dynamite, low Kv so I can have high gearing to have best of both worlds. Although keen to try the Thunder Power as a comparison.

Good luck the weekend SlowOne
Old 24-04-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Pdw just like you would on a touring car,got a selection of braces, tried a thin beam on top and bottom. With the very high grip and flat surface Sunday, kit front end may be better.
Old 25-04-2015

Default Weight watching?

Attachment 78732

Hi Stu,

727 grams?

With carbon chassis and alloy axle when mine is 717 grams with S1 chassis, chassis decal and steel axle!
Old 25-04-2015

Looking Good Stu...

Xracer if you look at the 2 cars stu has a toro which is a larger lump of metal compared to the hobbywing, his sevro is a core which has a metal heatsink/case as appossed to yours which looks like its plastic case (i'm not dissing your servo) and his core receiver is 3 times the size of your ko 1.

As they say every little helps, but if he's got below the weight and now has to ballast it to meet the weight limit then jobs done, he can add weight where he wants it to balnce chassis, and lets face it none of use can run below the weight limit.

Well done stu.
Old 25-04-2015

Hey Sam (Shiny)
Thanks buddy...
Yes, job done in my books.
Very pleased and just got a balls out motor sensor cable the perfect length. Looks really neat now. Very pleased.
SHOW ME THE BALLAST!!
I ordered the receiver you recommended too Sam. She's on her way, so even more weight to come off :-)
How did the lad go at Maritime?
Will defo be there next week!
Stu
Old 25-04-2015

Regarding speed controllers...
What's the main difference between the
Toro 1 Esc and Hobbywing V3.1?
I see the burst is close to 80amps more but the constant is the same.
Is there more to it than that? That warrants the extra £70 or so quid it costs...
Old 25-04-2015

Speedo pass........would expect software maybe drives a bit smoother, but as for anything else im not sure slightly higher burst rate, but would you notice that in blinky with a 1 cell, i dont know perhaps someone more knowledgable could shed some light on this? or maybe people think or trust hobbywing to be better as they are race provent in other formula where boost and turbo are the norm.

As for Tom he did well was as pleased as punch with his little self, he made the A final (TC) for the first time .
Shame tho he didn't finish the race tho he clipped a corner and broke a c hub which put him out, but hey the main thing is he made it there in the first place.

Last edited by shinytopman; 25-04-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 25-04-2015

ESC wise I have the older V2.1 Hobbywing and love it never tried a toro but I'm sure they are very similar in weight performance, the v3.1 will just be lighter and more refined (smoother).
When your avg lap time is within 0.3 of your best then you may see the difference, my best lap is always in the ball park of the best drivers at my local clubs so I stick with what I've got till it fails.
Old 27-04-2015

Right report from the national, good news was I out qualified pdw bad new he got me in the final

Now the LRC kit has transformed the car

The ifs was used in low grip OK, but when the grip came up kit was best and faster.
Old 27-04-2015

Hi Mark..
Sounds like you had fin at the nationals, it would appear SlowOne is more of a final performer than a qualifying ace....

Anyhow, glad the LRC kit has proved a hit, still believe the IF's is still worth persevering with but who am I to say!!

Would you have any thoughts on the Toro 1s and Hobbywing ESC comparison?

SlowOne, you have view on this too?
Old 27-04-2015
Mad Member

My view is that there are no points for qualifying, only for finals positions!!

Lower roll centre is a no-brainer - the outcome was a foregone conclusion in my book!!

Adding to Mark's comment, David Gale also ended up with the standard front end - on this track in this event that is. David also said it worked better at his club with lower grip. Personally I would be adapting to grip with tyres and springs and not by swapping complete geometries.

For us mere mortals who can put a lap on our qualifying times by simply driving better and not making mistakes, it is important to have absolute trust in the car every time you put it on the track. For that - well, for me anyway - that means sticking with the basic suspension geometry and using other ways to tune the car. That way I can be very confident I know what each change is going to do.

Don't sweat the Toro/HW comparison. Cells and motors have more impact than a speedo alone. The HW is favoured by many because it is better on feel than others, but since so much of GT12 life is full throttle, and part throttle is only momentary, any real difference is hard to detect. If you want to try a v3.1 1S HW, keep an eye on the for sale section; they come up form time to time.

Yes, the Nationals were fun. I drove like a numpty in qualifying, got tangled up with all sorts of people and wasn't where I wanted to be. Mark returned the favour by driving similarly badly in the final. But I did cross the line in P1, so it's my bragging rights!!
Old 27-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
My view is that there are no points for qualifying, only for finals positions!!

Lower roll centre is a no-brainer - the outcome was a foregone conclusion in my book!!

Adding to Mark's comment, David Gale also ended up with the standard front end - on this track in this event that is. David also said it worked better at his club with lower grip. Personally I would be adapting to grip with tyres and springs and not by swapping complete geometries.

For us mere mortals who can put a lap on our qualifying times by simply driving better and not making mistakes, it is important to have absolute trust in the car every time you put it on the track. For that - well, for me anyway - that means sticking with the basic suspension geometry and using other ways to tune the car. That way I can be very confident I know what each change is going to do.

Don't sweat the Toro/HW comparison. Cells and motors have more impact than a speedo alone. The HW is favoured by many because it is better on feel than others, but since so much of GT12 life is full throttle, and part throttle is only momentary, any real difference is hard to detect. If you want to try a v3.1 1S HW, keep an eye on the for sale section; they come up form time to time.

Yes, the Nationals were fun. I drove like a numpty in qualifying, got tangled up with all sorts of people and wasn't where I wanted to be. Mark returned the favour by driving similarly badly in the final. But I did cross the line in P1, so it's my bragging rights!!

we wont mention the tap you gave the faster car while taking you on the inside line to the loop in the round that the tap cost me moving into the next final then pdw
Old 27-04-2015

Hi all.. just been thro this thread as I fancy a go at GT12.. Im thinking Schuey supastox at £59.99, ezrun 13.5 combo(which I have..),vapex lipo and the low CoG pod thingy...

Ive always shied away from anything with foam tyres ever since I had a mardave ministox all them years ago! There always seems to be a lot of mystery surrounding foams to me, maybe it was watching and listening to the 1/12 guys at Stocksbridge that did it tho..?!

Is the supastox good value or should I consider something else..? Im only interested in club racing BTW..

thanks in advance...
Old 28-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
Hi all.. just been thro this thread as I fancy a go at GT12.. Im thinking Schuey supastox at £59.99, ezrun 13.5 combo(which I have..),vapex lipo and the low CoG pod thingy...

Ive always shied away from anything with foam tyres ever since I had a mardave ministox all them years ago! There always seems to be a lot of mystery surrounding foams to me, maybe it was watching and listening to the 1/12 guys at Stocksbridge that did it tho..?!

Is the supastox good value or should I consider something else..? Im only interested in club racing BTW..

thanks in advance...
You need the supastox GT if you buy the supastox sold at the price above its the mk1version and will not accept the LRC kit

This is a good buy and I know the seller
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166828

Last edited by mark christopher; 28-04-2015 at 06:40 PM.