Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > WORM - Weston-Super-Mare

Old 21-10-2012
Mad Member

Default Winter Wonder Rd2 Results...and GRIP ROLL !!! ;-)

Hi all,

Results are now online from yesterdays great meeting!

***CLICKY***

Once again, turnout was better than we expected given that Tiverton are running today. 46 booked in cars running in total I think, plus a few late comers...so huuuuuge thanks to everyone that turned out and enjoyed the lovely weather

The track developed all day, firstly improving in grip as the loose sand brushed off, then dropping in grip again as the moisture got drawn out and temps dropped a little later in the day...proving to be quite a challenge for everyone only driving with 2 wheels!

Tyre choice is always hot topic of conversation in RC, and yesterday was no exception....on my Centro I used scrubbed Ballistic Greens in the first 2 rounds which worked as well as anything I've run here up to that point. Then switched to new dBoots Multibyte (B)'s, which improved things a little.

Alongside this, I'd put a full set of new Schumacher greens on the 4wd to try out, and was getting GREAT results, beating Dave B in one round, nearly a second a lap quicker than him with ballistics on, and he's normally around a second a lap faster than me in like for like running! The car actually started to feel like it had some edge and bite to it, so tried a set on the 2wd thinking it could be a secret weapon....and they were utterly rubbish!

That said everyone seemed to be complaining about the grip dropping at that point, so was less worried...and swapped back to the dBoots for the last 2 rounds with much more balanced results...very challenging...but the best balance I'd had all day...still...snaking down the straight if I wasn't careful, and being uber cautious out of the slower corners, it was testing my patience somewhat!

Anyway, despite the challenge, I really enjoyed my days racing, great company with enthusiastic, courteous and close racing, great fun, despite the challenging track conditions!!!

So...with that in mind I just thought I'd tell you our plans...

The track is clearly still sandy and stays wet, the astro looses more and more sand the more we race on it, and the weather also contributes a little here too I think...lifting the sand out in the rain.

We've been brushing and removing sand before the races to improve things bit by bit, but the amount of sand we still have is meaning that it hasn't really dried ever yet....it's always soaked and not been consistently warm or dry enough to improve...BUT....

Kev Taylor has just called me from the track...and the racing line from yesterday has actually dried out...and he is suffering grip roll on his 2wd today!

Great news as I see it, as it shows there are signs of normality coming eventually...I don't think this will last too long at this point, it'll rain, the sand will lift and spread again, and we'll be back to the loose slippery stuff we've been racing on, but it does show that once we deal with the sand...and we will deal with the sand in time!...things will be much better...in the meantime all we can do is ask you to keep coming along and running on it...the more running we get, the quicker the sand will come out...and the quicker things will improve for everyone.

In the meantime we are literally planning to find some sort of vacuuming option to add to our sweeping and shovelling routine...so...if anyone has any old upright vacuum cleaners lying around that they can donate/sell very cheaply to the club we'll gratefully take them off your hands...and run them into the ground vacuuming sand off the track!!!

Hopefully that'll improve things a little quicker...and prove to be a bit of a laugh vacuuming the track!

Anyhoo....that's all for now folks...bear with us a little on the track and we'll get it even better soon, hope you all enjoyed yesterday as much as I did, and we'll see you for the next round on Saturday 3rd November!!!

Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 21-10-2012

Ask dudders from surrey and hants pretty sure that they used an industrial hoover ???
Lrp
Eds
Sworkz 35-4n
Alpha dragon
Old 21-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

lol I was on used yellows in that run mate, lap times were pretty similair when I was on blickies
Old 21-10-2012

Do you know if Kev got round to blowing the sand off with the new leaf blower ? maybe that helped with the new found grip ?
Old 21-10-2012
Mad Member

@Dave...oh yeah...that was it...damned my rubbish memory

@Si...tried it, and not really up to it in any big way....did shift a little bit of the loosest stuff, and if you got right up close it'd move a bit more, but not really usefully when you think we need to do the whole lot!

@Robocop...will ask him, thanks for the heads up!

Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 21-10-2012

Has anyone had a look at a hire centre for one of these bad boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFdV9ajd8ac
Old 22-10-2012

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/...AB4AFE3B66.mp4

http://www.oople.com/forums/image.ph...ine=1360240269
Old 22-10-2012

Thanks all!
Great day racing on a great track! Plenty of tracktime in the sun!

Same weather order for the next round please boss.
Old 22-10-2012

Thanks for a great day!!

A Big well done to WORM Organising commitee,another well run meeting

Hopefully see you on the 3rd

Schumacher Laydown
Schumacher Cat L1

Schumacher
RC Octane
Old 22-10-2012

Top day, great track, great organisation and fun racing, well done WORM
Old 23-10-2012

As a few people have asked, here's the setup from Saturday:

http://http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/product/C0001/setups/C4.1_GStantonWORMOct2012.pdf

Centro + Big Bores
Old 29-10-2012

Has anyone tried closed cell foam inserts in their Multibyte B tyres at WORM or would they make the tyre too hard and lose grip?

Cheers.
Old 30-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Closed cell inserts normally reduce grip, not tried them at worm but have ran them a few times this year at other tracks