Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Caldicot Radio Control Car Club

Old 15-09-2012

Default 2WD or 4WD that is the question?

Hi all,

Back into racing after about 10 years - going to be a regular at Caldicott on a Friday later this year/next. However, I just can't decide to buy a 2wd or 4wd. My heart says durango 410, but how many 4wd run at the club regulary? Is there always enough for 4wd racing?

Ps: what tyres do most run, shumacher minipins yellows?

Thanks

Si
Old 15-09-2012

There are more 2wd but there is always a 4wd heat yellows are the best to use but I'd think about getting a b44 or b44.1 has most of us got spares and Paul has no Durango spares so if u brake it and haven't got the part ur buggered lol
Old 15-09-2012

Thanks Hit, Will take a closer look at the b44.1. What generally breaks, suspension arms, shock towers?
Old 15-09-2012

If your local club run mainly 2wd i would get a 2wd. You will only end up buying one when you get bored racing in 1 heat. Also 2wd are cheaper and easier to maintain.
Old 15-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiTrace View Post
Thanks Hit, Will take a closer look at the b44.1. What generally breaks, suspension arms, shock towers?
Frount arms some times shock shafts on the front if hit hard and the same for the front shock tower unles u get a 3 or 4 mil one hope this helps
Old 15-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

There is pretty much always a heat of both 2wd and 4wd
Old 15-09-2012

Thanks all, if people are always running 4wd this is what i prob will go for! I'll see you all sometime soon, if I go durango 410 I get some spares too!! Just not sure on the B44.1, just don't like the design as much as the 410!
Old 15-09-2012

the 410 is by far the stronger car. yes b44 spares are normaly at trackside the durango will suit you more if getting back into racing.

WRCA 2WD indoor Champion
I AM A RACING GOD
Old 15-09-2012

I ran a 410 at Caldicot for about 6 months, great car, didn't break a thing on it, very tough car. Only got rid of it as I was enjoying 2wd more. In terms of numbers, theres more 2wd at Caldicot.
Old 16-09-2012
Mad Member

B44.1 is a much easier car to drive...the 410 is an aggression monster!!! IMO

The engineering on the 410 is def very pretty looking, I've always lusted after them on that front, but the design of the 44.1 is so easy to work on, setup and build, and a few run them at the club so a bit of advice and support to be had.

There is normally a 4wd heat, but normally only 1 heat. The 2wd drive class has 2 or 3 heats so there is a better ability spread, and the heats are better grouped ability wise...the 4wd heat has the fastest and slowest guys all in at once...which is interesting at times lol.

Either way, be great to see another regular, def get yourself along before you spend any cash and come have a chat, and see how things run!
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 17-09-2012

Send a message via MSN to Balders Send a message via Skype™ to Balders

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman View Post
the 410 is by far the stronger car. yes b44 spares are normaly at trackside the durango will suit you more if getting back into racing.
Is there something you are not telling us Axe? Mid 44 dead long live the 410?

As for original question, getting started again there is only 2 choices and they are both associated. Easy to drive, easy to setup and parts are cheap and plentiful.

2wd B4
4wd B44.1

There is a model shop in Newport tracksidespares.co.uk and Paul comes to club each week bringing the shop with him so if you break anything you will be able to get the bits.

If you can't wait till next Friday to come see us all at club pop to see Paul at his shop and have a chat about all the options for you. He has B4's and 44.1's there that you can take a closer look at and if you are very lucky he might even make you a cuppa tea..

Mike Baldwin - Caldicot
Old 17-09-2012

For 4wd dont forget the Schumacher CAT for 4wd, lots of Schumacher drivers come to Caldicot so spares arent a problem and the CAT is a good one. Cougars also abound, but thats a car you either love or hate...

Durangos are also well supported, but again the 410 takes a special kind of driving style to get the best out of it, and gear diffs arent to everyones taste. The 210 is nice though, and a good few people drive them.

Sadly the Associateds are by far the most popular everywhere tbh so if your worried about spares supply they are the first choice, but these days breakages on any car arent really common so i wouldnt worry too much.

Dont discount Tamiya and Kyosho. Ok they arent common in our area - i think theres just 2 of us now driving Tamiyas - but they dont break much and spares you can get pretty easily. My TRF201 Vega has been very reliable, only a couple of rear wishbones in the last year. And the 501x's and Durgas are built like Tanks and just as good as any other car out there.
Old 18-09-2012

Thanks everyone. I can see everyone has an opinion of what to get, but my head has ruled my heart and i've bought a TD 210!!

I considered a b4.1, but I want a mid motor and don't want to spend another £150 on a converstion kit. The money I saved over the 410 has bought me some lovely tresrey upgrades.

Thanks all.
Old 18-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Nice
Look forward to seeing you at club soon!
Old 18-09-2012
Mad Member

Wise choice! The 210 is a good car...one of the best value 2wd's out there right now I'd say
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs