Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 20-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt View Post
The ambiance just wasn't right whenever I've been to a stoke nitro meet drive for an hour or more to be be greeted by a sour attitude I'd love to race at sv only nobody wants to come with and asking for money on a free race day whatever the circumstances only makes people think the head honchos a cock
Theres two sides to every story, he probably thinks you are a cock!
Stoke nitro was busy and well organised when i went down one weekend. Bit muddy was my only negative, but it had rained for a month!

If there are enough 1/10 guys looking to use the track, if it is made a little more forgiving, and the grip is higher (with a reasonable control tyre) lets let the man know!
I for sure am up for weekend racing there, the track is just off the m6, and accessible to many.
I think this needs some support from the top racers as well. Where else could you try racing on clay any weekend you like?
arent most world championships on this surface?
Maybe the track needs help with the promotional side of things.
Old 20-03-2014

My choice of medicine is on doctors orders jared and preferred to the morphine I'm prescribed
On the day in question you smelt somebody elses and affronted me I could have lied to you but didn't I had a roll up in my pocket for the way home I didn't and haven't smoked anything on your premises !!! threatening the teenager thats never smoked anything in his life was way out of order on your part !!!
But thats forgotten this end as lifes too cluckin short
As for your venue fix the ambience and I'm sure people will come I'd pay to play there if the friends I race with hadn't been alienated by your aggression
Liars run for cover the truth is taking over!!!
Old 20-03-2014
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

I find it quite ironic that the dude using the name "Aire Valley" is saying the track should be covered in astro...
Old 20-03-2014

Ive only been the once and although my car wasnt working well on the day i still thought the grip levels were fine....better than what i thought it would be for sure. I was expecting something like the grip indoors at worksop but i thought dirt was better, and had a better feel to drive on.

I went when the first track was laid out and in general i thought the track layout was good...but this brings me on to my biggest problem with the venue. Its just too damn small!

I dont mean to be rude but the pictures i saw before i went must have been stretched on photoshop or something because they were almost life size! The members have done a good job and it looks really nice but how can 8,9,10 cars race on a track of that size and complexity without carnage? On the one occasion i have been that is what happened, cars all over the place, marshalls obscuring views every time they stood up, lapping or being lapped by cars every two seconds and just a general sense of mayhem for the entire race. In my opinion it just makes it very difficult to get a feel for the dirt track.....which is the only reason i wanted to go there anyway!

Another gripe is the way the meeting was run. I understand that when i went they hadnt ran many 1/10th meetings but like i have just mentioned, the only reason i went was to get an idea of what its like to race on a real dirt track....so to get there and not have open practice was a big disappontment. What was even more bizarre though was not even being allowed to have warm up laps before the race. Its like the owners are saying 'look at our awesome dirt track, one of only two in the uk....but you're not allowed to use it!'

As has been mentioned already also, why such long breaks between races and rounds...and i dont like to harp on about it....but with no practice being allowed then either, it just makes for a tedious experience. On a positive note, the pits are nice, i had a good sausage cob and it looks good, and again its one of only two dirt tracks we have in the country (i think). I still hope to come again, but only for open practice one day so i can enjoy it and get some dirt track time!

I guess i've gone off topic really, in short....i wouldnt like to see the track permanently sugared, and definately not astro turfed! As someone has said, the dirt track is your selling point, i just think more thought needs to go into your raceday experience and creating some good PR.

I hope it works out
Old 20-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
I find it quite ironic that the dude using the name "Aire Valley" is saying the track should be covered in astro...
As the builder of arguably the first and best dirt track in this country 25 years ago, I am well aware of the advantages/disadvantages of this type of track..!

Even then it was popular with top level/sponsored drivers but not with club drivers who found it too dirty/dusty compared to the ,then, popular ,grass tracks....We held very successful National and International meetings, including the Reedy Races in '92 and '94 but struggled at club meetings. If the club had continued I am sure it would be astro now..!
I am only suggesting that Storm Valley, which seems to be a commercial venture, provides what the majority of potential customers want..

If dirt tracks are so popular why aren't they at every club, instead of the current trend for astro..? Even 1/8 tracks, like Pendle , have been converted to astro..!
Old 21-03-2014
Mad Member

I was at the same meeting as Iain (aka Stall4king) and can echo his comments. As he also says, SV have run several 10th meetings since so hopefully the format of the meetings have improved and are now more in line with what 10th racers are used to and expect. With regards to the layout, the features can seem to introduce carnage as there is usually a specific line and/or speed - any deviation results in collision or crash.

One of the reasons people will travel is the almost unique experience of the surface. If you cover it with Astro, there is no pull on drivers who have a long journey as they can get that surface usually much closer to home.

Anything that keeps the tyre costs down has to be applauded. I think Rich gave some good and valid reasons why tracks are sugared for big meets in the US. I found the grip to be best when the track was slightly damp, not sure if that was just coincidence or if that to be expected. If the latter, how difficult is it to prepare the track so that it is damp all day? I understand that will mean watering it most likely and that it will need to be done several times a day and probably at different times to to negate any disadvantage/advantage gained as the track moisture evolves...maybe this is too unmanageable and the track just needs a quick sweep - again as Rich said, keeping out of the dust was key to getting the traction.

How about running a stock class to try and encourage clean and close racing?

Also on the tyres, it would be nice to see some kind of discount on the control tyre/brand...again encouraging people to attend.

Another thing to consider would be turning on the timing system on practice days, which was not available on the 2 times I have been to practice. To me, timing is a big part of the practice especially on a semi-fixed layout. Having something to aim for (e.g. track record) helps determine pace and distinguish setup changes from each other.

Its a good facility and nice to have another dirt track within 1.5 hours of me and if I was only closer I would like to go more often.
Old 21-03-2014

Default group booking

If enough of us would like to, maybe we could try to book the track for a 1/10 only practice day?
Obviously this would have to suit their calendar, and i dont know costs or if its available!
Any sunday is good for me.
Anyone up for it?
If we got enough peeps maybe a club night during the week?
Old 21-03-2014

being a guy who was brought up on a dirt track (romsey off road club) i would love to see more of these tracks across the uk but sadly there aren't.

with the current trend of forward motor cars and high bite tracks, i think Storm Valley should sugar the track, it doesnt have to be done all the time but it could draw drivers who normally shy away because their cars dont work in low grip conditions.
Old 21-03-2014

I think a on off weekend event with 2wd on the Saturday and 4wd on the Sunday with the following format would be very popular and would perhaps steer sv into a busy venue thereafter.

1) 2 rounds of 3 minute practice in a random heat order.
2) heats then reorganised in order of drivers with fastest 3 consecutive laps. (Petit style)
3) 1 round of 5 minute timed practice in new rearranged order
4) 4 rounds of qualifying and 3 leg A finals.

With the following implementations:-

1) the track NEEDS to be sugared
2) power NEEDS to be available
3) time between heats NEEDS to be about 2 mins
4) time between rounds not more than 10 mins
5) a commentator would be very nice
6) if you could get rc tv to attend it would be excellent for prestige and venue awareness
7) a friendly atmosphere is a must
8) a tyre rule of 1 set of 1 type of tyre is needed
9) a raffle with good prizes would go down well
10) a major company sponsoring the event would be good
11) the date NEEDS to not clash with any other major event
12) the jumps need to be more flowing
13) a main straight is necessary preferably starting down a slope to help get speeds up

That's all I can think of for now but if you could hold a meeting like this I'd be a certainty to book in..
Old 21-03-2014
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhseeten View Post
I think a on off weekend event with 2wd on the Saturday and 4wd on the Sunday with the following format would be very popular and would perhaps steer sv into a busy venue thereafter.

1) 2 rounds of 3 minute practice in a random heat order.
2) heats then reorganised in order of drivers with fastest 3 consecutive laps. (Petit style)
3) 1 round of 5 minute timed practice in new rearranged order
4) 4 rounds of qualifying and 3 leg A finals.

With the following implementations:-

1) the track NEEDS to be sugared Why?
2) power NEEDS to be available We all have power for other meets, why is this venue needing outputs that bad?
3) time between heats NEEDS to be about 2 mins
4) time between rounds not more than 10 mins
5) a commentator would be very nice Who has one of these?
6) if you could get rc tv to attend it would be excellent for prestige and venue awareness You need £500-£1000 for any tv company to attend
7) a friendly atmosphere is a must Only the racers can make it friendly
8) a tyre rule of 1 set of 1 type of tyre is needed Who will scruitineer that?!
9) a raffle with good prizes would go down well They already offer prizes, and trophys, and champagne
10) a major company sponsoring the event would be good They do - CML/Proline
11) the date NEEDS to not clash with any other major event Impossible for anyone these days
12) the jumps need to be more flowing The new layout has helped alot
13) a main straight is necessary preferably starting down a slope to help get speeds up

That's all I can think of for now but if you could hold a meeting like this I'd be a certainty to book in..
I think your asking for anything but a miracle! Even a 1/10th national does not cater all of this! And that is supposed to the pinnacle of our class in our country!

The original question was should the venue sugar their track - and it has gone completely off topic to people asking for anything and everything.

A question to all - who out of the ones suggesting all of these ambitious ideas would get off their arse and help out to organise such things? If your sitting there thinking "I would" then please do it!
The guys at storm valley who do all the work and set up meetings are trying to make the venue a success. There are only 2-3 men who do what they can manage.

Out of any ideas from this thread - one thing is missing. A core following of members who are dedicated to help their local track and class. As far as im aware they don't have this.
ANY successful track has numerous members who give up their free time to help out.
If people really want storm valley to be successful then give them your time and effort and reap the rewards of a superb track that you were involved in and helped develop in to something that has the potential to be something spectacular.
Old 21-03-2014

The original question asked was - Should we sugar the track because, quote "a lot of 1/10 drivers seem scared to come and race". Implying that far too few people are currently attending for some reason and enquiring if the reason is lack of grip. It seems like its about an even split on whether to sugar or not which is informative but doesn't answer why the people who want it to remain unsugared aren't going which I think is the wider question being asked here. If not then I'll simply say sugaring the track would help inspire me to attend and leave it at that. If the wider question is being asked then the comments above are valid and worth taking heed of since they are coming from the very peo
Old 21-03-2014

Sorry. Posted too soon! Meant to say - the very people you are trying to entice to come.
Old 21-03-2014

Tackling the red comments above in order:-

The suggestions made above are my opinion of what would most likely inspire people to attend a large major one off meeting.

1. Needs to be sugared for reasons I've previously stated. In short to speed up the cars and to negate the necessity for a rear motor 2wd
2. I suppose you don't "need" to supply power, it's just very desirable and is a simple fix to an unnecessary problem.
3. Most of the big meetings have commentary. I really enjoy the commentary and think it makes watching the racing much more interesting. And is easy to do - even if the comments are just about whose leading etc. it still makes for a more enjoyable time. Especially if the commentary is about you while your racing your way round to a quick time.
4. Only racers can make it friendly. Not true. The organisers set the spirit that the racing takes place in. If it is too dominating people feel reticent and withdrawn and consequently don't enjoy the meeting as much and therefore less likely to come back.
5. Tyres are easily scrutinised with the use of nail varnish in an unusual colour applied to the joint between the wheels and tyres like it used to be back in the day. Then just random spot checks in the pits.
6. Just mean don't clash with the obvious biggest events like nationals, mid west regionals and oople series events.
7. The new layout looks good and I'm sure it's helped but now there is no straight which I thing is a requirement in the rules. Not sure about that though..
8. A lot is two words..
Old 21-03-2014

Just throwing into this slightly. I don't have a view on the sugar or not really but I'd suggest you do what RHRD do.

If I came to SV it'd be to get some practice for RHRD.

The point I wanted to make is SV isn't a club so hoping for the core membership isn't going to happen.

The other points which have stopped me going have all been mentioned, power, track size and overly aggressive jumps, etc. are what I hear and sadly that's human nature. People like the good but they talk about the bad.

I hope you can make it work and wish SV luck but I think your issues are greater than do we sugar the track.
Old 21-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I haven't been to SV, but I know lads that have. The feedback I have heard from lads that have been again is pointed at the jumps and size.

I feel that SV have worked hard to give a nice indoor dirt track but need to look at the size and whom they are aiming the track at (class).

For 1/8 I have heard the track is to small and 1/10 the jumps are to aggressive.I think SV need to sit back and make a decision at what class they are aiming at as at the moment I feel lads are going once and thats it.

I think that the sugar is another way to attract the drivers but the,

Size
class
jumps

Would be a start as at the moment neither class is really happy, which is a shame when the work has been put in.

Just my opinion.
Old 21-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Not read every post on here but got the general idea, I have never yet(fingers crossed big hint) raced at RHR on the dirt, I have been wanting to get up to storm valley but it's a good long day out from norwich,norfolk.

I run Norfolk buggy club, we have two tracks, one grass and one large dirt track, with big jumps, off camber corners, banked bends etc that most, but for sure not all enjoy! Most modern young drivers have been brought up on consistent grip smooth with jumps astro turf tracks or at worse grass tracks with grip. Now when they see the dirt track they go wow thats cool, then they drive it and hate it with vengeance straight away as they find you have low grip,your 7.5 wants to make your car swap ends at every opportunity and you really do have to work hard on throttle control etc, and of course the big difference is that you need to put a totally different set up on your can than you would run for anywhere else.

So here is the problem, uk drivers drive astro, or at worse if they must grass, they don't like total change, or the fact that there normal car setup that they take from venue to venue maybe turned on it's head for dirt, they don't like inconsistency on the track and in the end in most cases if they can't drive it after practice and 1st heat they will not come back as they think it's sh*t.
Heres what I think
A) don't run rallyx and 10th same day, 10th drivers hate noisy scary rally cars.
B) keep your track fun, make sure it flows the jumps are possible and don't break cars, a great 8th track is most likely a crap 10th track and a great 10th track is a bit tame for an 8th track:roll eyes:.
C)some times open the tyre rule up a little, we did run proline holeshot only, but I'm not sure it was the best tyre so I made the rule any dirt tyre available over the counter in uk, or maybe in your case any proline tyre.
D) suger, Hmmm not sure, I have never run sugared track, Maybe as has been said try it and see but are you looking to make your dirt track run like an astro track? simple, give in, cover it with astro so it's boring

Dirts fun, different, most US club indoor tracks are small, have posts for the roof in the infield and can be low grip, one top uk driver once said to me US tracks look great, but in most cases they are crap,loose and rough

It's very hard, you have a great venue, but dirt takes a long time to get the hang of so your hard core regular drivers need to be local, as if not I can understand people not wanting to make one off journeys, over long distances to a track they are more than likely to struggle on,have a bad day and in the end practice for nothing as virtually no other meeting are on dirt in uk

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 21-03-2014

There are some really good points in this thread

Martin & Myself have both read the thread over and over again and both hold our hands up and admit we have done a lot of things wrong so we have sat back listened to what has been said and are prepared to try and put things right and make things better for the 1/10th drivers.

Sugared track or none Sugared track,
At this moment in time we don’t think sugaring the track would make things any better but it’s something that at some point in the future that could be worth doing as a one off to try and see what a sugared track would be like, but that’s not for now.

Power,
We can place a table in the pitting area with a extension cable with sockets available for a start but lipo sacks are a must for safety.

Track ,
We will this coming week re profile the jumps in front of the rostrum and make them more for 1/10th so they flow a lot better, change the profile on the others so they are less aggressive and give the track some TLC. Once the track gets used more by the 1/10th guys we will then look into changing the whole of the track but with the cost of machinery we need numbers through the door to justify doing this.

Tyres,
Tyres will be open, as long as they are a Dirt tyre you can run them, we are also in negotiations with all the distributors to get the tyres discounted and if this happens the onsite shop will pass the discount on, we will try our best on this!
Also as said by a few the tyre wear is less than what it is on Astro and Carpet. The average tyres last 2-3 meetings compared to astro tyres that already make the tyres cheaper!!

Cost,
Throughout the Summer Series the cost of the meetings will be £8 pre booked before 8pm on the Thursday nights after that they will be £12 to all. The aim of this is to encourage drivers to book in so we can get a guide to how many drivers are booked in to cater for food or a Butty Van.

Times in-between heats,
Towards the end Proline Winter Masters this is something that was addressed and was brought down to 2 minutes and also a 3 lap warm up before the buzzer, track is closed for 1 minute to allow marshal’s to move around safely.

Summer Series,
Rc-Bits will support the meeting and all the summer series Rd’s will be on Saturdays.

Rd 1 Sat 12th April
Rd 2 Sat 31st May
Rd 3 Sat 5th July
Rd 4 Sat 23d August
Rd 5 Sat 13th September
Rd 6 Sat 27th September

Practice Days,
We will implement separate days for Electric and Nitro, the aim will be to run Electric only on a Saturday and Nitro only on a Sunday then swap them around the following month to Nitro only on a Saturday and electric only on a Sunday, practise will be subject to race meetings so that’s something we need to highlight better on the homepage of our website so its easy to see what it is that month and when.

Race Format,
This is where we need your help again.

What race format do you want????

• 1 Rd practice, 4 Rd’s Qualifying and then Finals
  • 2 Rd’s practice, 3 Rd’s Qualifying and then Finals
  • Open practice for 30mins then 4 Rd’s Qualifying and then Finals
  • Something different?? suggestions please

We would like to thank everyone for there input its really appreciated, constructive criticism is what we are looking for as it will help us to make the venue work and not just for us but if this is to continue on it does need numbers through the door so why not come give it a go and try it again at some point through out summer.

Best Regards
Jared
Storm Valley
Old 21-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The only thing I would have changed at the RC-Area meeting I came down for would be the warmup for a bit followed by a slightly odd/pointless couple of minutes closed track before the race starts between races. I understand concern for marshals swapping round safely, but that seems like a bit of a strange way of doing it. How about warmup all the way up to the start of the next race but require the drivers in the next heat to single the jumps for a minute or so while the marshals get swapped over? Normally at 10th meeting's it's a free for all practice between heats and that (usually) works out just fine. At nationals you're meant to go easy down the straight during warmup laps although some drivers who should know better can tend to ignore this.

The main thing to remember with the jumps is the downslope should always be a shallower angle than the upslope. The corner tabletop thing just in front of the rostrum was my least favourite part of the track as it didn't flow very well having such a shallow initial takeoff. You could make up a tiny bit of time by jumping the whole thing but it's so sketchy to do and so little gain it's not worth doing, then the jump becomes a bit of an obstacle. From what I've seen of the current layout it looks a ton better now the approach to it is slower, the second takeoff still looks a bit too vertical for 10th though.
Old 22-03-2014

2 rounds of 3 minute practice is my taste and is what happens at the nationals and seems to be to everyone's liking. I'd then prefer to see a reordering of the heats based on each drivers fasted 3 consecutive laps. 4 rounds of Qual is much much more desirable than 3.

I'm disappointed you're not going to sugar the track. I really think it would have made a huge difference to the fun factor and numbers turning up. It would give any driver who's been there before and thought to themselves I know the score there now a reason to come back a give it another try.
Old 22-03-2014

Option 2 for me.

Can you post photos and videos of the modified jumps.

Cheers.