Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > WRCA

Old 28-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default WRCA Regionals - Caldicot's Round - 9th June

Only two weeks until the next round - hopefully the weather will be kind.
Please note that due to logistical issues with the venue there is a location change, which may well help should the weather be slightly inclement.

Caldicot will be temporarily relocating to WORM's astro track
Track details here: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97053

Timetable for the day is:
09.30 - Booking in opens & Track opens for Free Practice
10.00 - Booking in Closes
10.45 - Free Practice Closes for Driver's Briefing
11.00 - 4 rounds of qualifying with finals start

This will enable the meeting to go ahead as scheduled and I hope that you will agree that the track is well worth the extra travel involved. Apologies in advance to those of you who were looking for a more local race, other options were considered and it was felt that this offered the best option for this round.
Old 28-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Booking in is open on www.wrca.org.uk and a field has now been added for your mobile number - this will enable the organisers to update you regarding any weather issues.
Old 28-05-2013

WORM track looks really good, unfortunately i dont think i'll be able to justify the cost of the 320 mile round trip and bridge fees for this one now.
Old 28-05-2013
Mad Member

That is the one downside admittedly.

If it helps, you can camp trackside the night before as the site also has basic caravan/camping facilities. £7 per night for tents I believe as the landlord runs that separately. There are 2 pubs and an indian restaurant at the end of the road within easy walking distance of the track too.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll make sure you have access when you arrive.

Unless people have any objections...the track will be open for practice on the Saturday too...but the regional layout won't be laid until the morning to avoid any unfair advantage on the day.

Maybe the chance to get some extra free track time, and a night away in Weston before hand will help make it a little more worthwhile?
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 28-05-2013
Mad Member

FYI...The WORM club will be promoting this meeting to it's regulars as well to help with numbers on the day, but they will be run in separate heats to the Welsh regional heats so they don't impact on the WRCA series results.

Hopefully this is ok
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 28-05-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Andy, may be worth posting a timetable, like what time the track opens, booking in, practice, first heat. People can then work out what time they will need to leave. Also, is there power available in the pits?
Old 28-05-2013

No power in the pits Steve, though there is lovely undercover pitting....and that was the day I wanted to do some testing on the proper track
Old 28-05-2013
Mad Member

"Proper" track?

The offroad track is a proper track too you know

The onroad track will be open for practice, but only electric cars can run that day due to the noise.

Just to note, only MMMRC club members and paid day pass visitors get access to the onroad rostrum as WORM only runs the offroad side of things.

Steve, Craig is right, no power in the pits, but undercover pitting is available for everyone.

Timetable is being worked on as we speak, and will be posted soon.

Other useful info:

Cafe should be open serving hot and cold food and drinks until mid/late afternoon.

Parking in the small carpark by the rostrum/cafe/pits is for track/club/cafe/trackside shop officials only as it needs to be kept clear for emergency access at all times. You can use it to drop off/pick up your stuff to the pits, but cars must then be moved out to the grass/gravel triangle by the onroad track.

Shells by Square Crabs
Old 28-05-2013

Doubt I can make it there sorry guys :-(
Old 28-05-2013
Mad Member

Google maps says it adds 30 mins to journey times if your coming on M4 from the West...hopefully that doesn't put everyone off!

Would a later starting time help anyone?
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 28-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pinky View Post
"Proper" track?

The offroad track is a proper track too you know

The onroad track will be open for practice, but only electric cars can run that day due to the noise.

Just to note, only MMMRC club members and paid day pass visitors get access to the onroad rostrum as WORM only runs the offroad side of things.

Steve, Craig is right, no power in the pits, but undercover pitting is available for everyone.

Timetable is being worked on as we speak, and will be posted soon.

Other useful info:

Cafe should be open serving hot and cold food and drinks until mid/late afternoon.

Parking in the small carpark by the rostrum/cafe/pits is for track/club/cafe/trackside shop officials only as it needs to be kept clear for emergency access at all times. You can use it to drop off/pick up your stuff to the pits, but cars must then be moved out to the grass/gravel triangle by the onroad track.

To many bumps in offroad, though your rostrum is one of the best I've seen, who's the wood worker....might dig the buggy out for this one
Old 29-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

IMHO the track is well worth the additional travel & cost, its a really good track and venue
Old 29-05-2013

Looking forward to a return visit to worm , always been a good days racing every time i have visited , looking forward to it you all wont be disappointed well worth the journey down .
Old 29-05-2013

Default wrca

sorry had to cancel did know welsh racing was so far into england 330 mile round trip + bridge toll is to much. big disappointment !
Old 29-05-2013

I am on the fence bere, would love to race at worm, but kids not up for the trip :-(
Old 30-05-2013
Mad Member

Ok, so here's the deal...we know it's not ideal for those coming from farthest away but...

It was basically use WORM or cancel the event entirely.

2 reasons for this:

1) LACK OF ENTRIES

The hall and grass we use has a rent on it, it's not actually very much, but even with that we are 13 entries short of making the rent! So financially we can't afford to run it there.

2) All our outdoor equipment has had to be removed from the storage at the hall and is now/temporarily being stored away from the hall.

If we had a big entry and lots of help it would be worthwhile us arranging the transport and setting it all up, and transporting it back.

So...it comes down to the racers. Currently there just isn't the support in the region to make it worthwhile running there. Our apologies to those who have supported it already and booked in, but we felt this was the best solution all round.

It means the few who have booked in get a race on a track that's ready to go, has no minimum entry requirements for rent, and is just 30 mins further away if your coming from a distance and only an hour from Cardiff in Sunday morning traffic.

The bridge toll isn't ideal....but it's less than a pair of tyres!

If the event is now deemed unfair due the location, then we'll happily cancel and have a lay in and a day off....your choice!
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 30-05-2013

I understand why it seems a strange decision to some to have a Welsh Regional over the border in Weston, but what Andy has said makes the best solution of a tricky situation.

Yes its a long way away for some - especially for people over the Saundersfoot side - but only about 30-40 minutes or so further on than Caldicot. And yes i know it all adds up along with the bridge fee, but what other option is there if we want it run ? I dont particulary like the long drive myself as i have a 130 mile round trip just for clubnights at Caldicot, so another 80 odd miles on top of that for a one-off Regional is a pain, but acceptable to me.

I love our Caldicot Regional as its normally a nice grass round ( i love grass racing ) but WORM is a fantasticaly designed astro track with good facilities. Ive raced there, it is well worth the trek if you can

Surely better that than not running at all ?
Old 30-05-2013

Send a message via MSN to jaysllim

The way i see it is that the wrca nd caldy have come together and created a solution to a unfortunate problem,as andy says if u wana run at caldys grounds then fine but it means a)us the racers will have to help out (and not turn up race and let sum other guy sort the track out) and b)more racers need to ise the wrca booking service because this gives the club an idea on how many racers will attend and wether its financially viable. So its either thoughs of u who want to race but havnt booked in book in and maby offer sum help to a club that as i see it has alot of racer attend ln a friday night but arnt there at the end to help pack away(im guilty ov this aswell), or we go to worm were there is a track already laid out (i belive) so solves one problem,plus worm members will b there and there will be gd banter.

At end of the day guys its us the racers that need to make a decision.even though its lomger drive for me whitch means i arrive in abit more pain coz car journeys hurt me,but im going (aslong as nothing comes up i.e my leg dnt wana play) and im looking forward to it.ive never been but only heard gd things about the club and track.

jay

Last edited by jaysllim; 30-05-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Spelling asusual lol
Old 30-05-2013

Andy, maybe instead of citing logistics and just moving the event, someone should have mentioned the real reasons before now and a solution could have been found.

1) LACK OF ENTRIES

The hall and grass we use has a rent on it, it's not actually very much, but even with that we are 13 entries short of making the rent! So financially we can't afford to run it there.

Historically people book in late, i can tell you that there were probably 8 of us coming up from saundersfoot, and i for one was running 2 classes. it was my first visit there last year, and i was looking forward to coming back again. If we'd have been told you needed to know sooner because of the rent we could have let you know, and i'm sure people from other clubs would have too. At the recently cancelled saundersfoot round, almost 50% of the entries came within the last 4/5 days.

It means the few who have booked in get a race on a track that's ready to go, has no minimum entry requirements for rent, and is just 30 mins further away if your coming from a distance and only an hour from Cardiff in Sunday morning traffic.

With the greatest respect, its not 'just 30 mins' its 'atleast another 30 mins (or miles)' each way. Caldicot itself is a 2 1/2hr journey, but we make the effort to support another Welsh Club, as people do when they travel down to us. Weston is just a bridge too far (sorry)

The bridge toll isn't ideal....but it's less than a pair of tyres!

I personally race on a tight budget, especially since my wages were cut by 20% this year, and most of my disposable income is gone. I used one set of tyres for the 6 events i did last year(they came on the car and were used when i got them). I've already bought my tyres for this year was wasn't budgeting on having to splash out on any more, even if its only a pair!
Old 30-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

In many ways our hand was forced by the amount of notice we were required to give the venue, before the club would have been liable for the rent even if we didn't run that day.

Entries seem to be down all round this year and not just in our region, sadly this means that it can be difficult to keep events viable.
I do appreciate that budgets are stretched but this is the best compromise we could come up with and we're sorry that we are in this situation.