Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > Mid EAST

Old 07-06-2011

Default MARSHALLING IN THE MID EAST

I dont normally winge on about stuff on here....but.....

c'mon guys and girls pick up the game when your marshalling!

i had a mistake on sunday (i know i shouldn't have crashed..but i did) only to find the marshall too busy texting to notice me upside down.

i wasn't the only driver to suffer bad marshalling on sunday either....sometimes it is difficult to get to cars, but to be watching the racing and ignoring your part of track is unfair.

watching the other heats/finals and from other rounds so far this year it is quite obvious that we as a region seem quite happy to watch the racing and not the part of the track we are marshalling, other people have also mentioned that the standard we have for marshalling is poor.

we all want to enjoy our racing so please try and marshall in the manor you wish to be marshalled.

rant over.....
Old 07-06-2011

Unfortunately it appear's that marshalling has slipped to a poorer standard every where, i was lucky enough to be being marshalled by unsupervised preteen's at weekend, i appreciate everyone has to start somewhere but 3 kid's stood together then falling over each other to pick up one car and then put it back down on it's lid is a little annoying. Don't get me wrong the club's i race at are ace but i remember when people used to run to your car not just amble over, pick it up, check your setup, look to see who's driving it, admire the paint, wait for the next 2 people to pass, loose you half a lap, put it down and then let it go.
Old 07-06-2011
oOple Advertiser

Agree with both the above, I actually saw the "mobile" incident and it was unacceptable.

One point I would make is that sometimes the marshall is doing his / her best, but gets insulted from the rostrum anyway.....marshall point 2 at West Bridgeford is a good example, that's where I had the misfortune to be all day. It was a very difficult obstacle and some cars would crash lap after lap sometimes cartwheeling upto 5 yards with me running after them! obviously one or more others would crash there whilst I was busy with the first, but everyone expects to be dealt with immediately (Human nature, and I include myself!) however it's not going to help to hear negative shouts from the rostrum when you are running around like an idiot trying to sort out the mess.

Finally, replacing a car on the track directly after a ramp is always difficult as often the next car round is going to be held up by the one just starting back up, I was berated a couple of times for putting a car back down (off the racing line) and the next car landing on it.....but sorry guys, in an instance like that it's not the marshalls fault

Phew, my rant over too! ;-)

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 07-06-2011

Marshall point two was tricky, agree. Daniel qualified D2 and took a hit on the ankle from a cartwheeling car in the C final while trying to marshall another upside down vehicle. After he got hit I took on his position - he's still hobbling around the house this morning.
I think we also need to be wary of which marshalling positions we put juniors in and offer to swap with them where appropriate.
Old 07-06-2011

I wouldnt have enjoyed marshall point 2!! 5 was bad enough just before the end of the straight on the inside of the track. Somehow people would cartwheel on the straight which took me away from the chicane.
You can only do your best and remember whos fault the crash was in the first place. I crashed alot in the truck but was lucky to be marshalled by experienced team racers who were spot on.
To not be paying attention is just uselessness and unfortunately "they live amongst us"
Old 07-06-2011

point 2 was very hard i had the joy of having it for 2 races as no1 was in the next race.

I do agree at times some marshalls do take their time and we just have to reiterate the need to be watching carefully to aid drivers in their race. there are some people at the meetings that are not as able bodied as some of us but they do their very best to get there asap, i have to say you have to be patient with these people they try their best! its your mistake at end of the day.

But

this shouting from the rostrum isnt nice espcially when you have got there as quick as you can, it can be hard getting to a car and getting in way of others but ay thats just unlucky. I have one simple rule you shout at me il just not marshall you as quick! end of! unless i genuinly make a mistake and dint see it (like big Russ other week was completly out of my eyeline hence I dont mind the big man giving me greif.)

we have to remember its a fun day out, yes frustrating at times but thats life we choose to do this sport.
Old 07-06-2011
Mad Member

Well texting on your phone while your supposed be marshalling is definatly unacceptable. You should be concentrating on the track in front of you not telling the missus to get your dinner on as you will be home soon.

Unfortunatly with regards to marshalling and BRCA Insurance I believe you are only covered from being hit by a car at your marshalling point if you have entered the track to marshall another car and get hit by another car then your not covered. So if you shout at a marshall and he panics, runs out and gets hit by a car then you will probably be to blame in the eyes of the law.

The key is we all like to be marshalled pretty much straight away but you have to take into account that it is the marshals responsibilty that it is safe to do so, and only they can choose when they feel comfortable to attend to your car.

Next regional if we do have a problem area, such as point 2 in this instance then I will make sure that it is not manned by anyone young or vunerable.

Point 5 was quite hectic to, I stood in as we had an empty gap for one of the lower finals and I was running all over the place. My Father was marshalling just before the table top in that race and he is in his late sixties and obviously not as spritely as he used to be. Was nice to see the Steven Bond coming over and giving him a hand as he was struggleing to get to cars. Thanks for that Mr Bond.

Anyways I am sure Nathan will read this thread and it will be dealt with at Grantham on sunday.

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 07-06-2011
oOple Advertiser

As i'm now classed as a veteran does that mean I get an easy marshalling point? hehe

My feedback
Old 07-06-2011
Mad Member

Must say i noticed mobile phones in marshal's hands when spectating on more than one occasion.. same at Broxtowe regional to be fair... although it is not any blame on the host club.. but needs to be addressed.

The Refs should be taking note really, although i understand how hard it is to watch ten cars at speed, call out lapping cars and watch out everything else .... like track cutting?!

It is becoming common in club racing too unfortunately...

blanket ban on mobile phones at marshal points and time penalties or culprits will cull the urge... a ringing phone in a pocket on the rostrum is annoying too although rare at this level!

Poor marshalling is as bad as poor driving, this sport runs on good old fashioned etiquette.
Old 08-06-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklychimp View Post
blanket ban on mobile phones at marshal points and time penalties or culprits will cull the urge...
i dont use my mobile when i marshal but i have kids at home so if my phone rang im ment to ignore it or get a penalty......

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 08-06-2011

Quote:
Poor marshalling is as bad as poor driving, this sport runs on good old fashioned etiquette.
There is a lot of sense in the above statement!
Since it's revival the Mid-East Region has set out to be a fun/friendly place to race with as little discipline as possible meted out by the referees. Refs were asked to give guidance rather than award harsh time penalties for poor driving/behaviour.

While this is a great objective (which I totally support) it is dependant on the behaviour of all drivers who need to "treat others as they wish to be treated" while both driving and marshalling. Competitors need to show each other a little more consideration while racing/marshalling in order for the Mid-East Regional objective to be met.

Regards
(The ref who didn't notice the marshal with the mobile phone!!! Sorry Brian).
Old 08-06-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post
i dont use my mobile when i marshal but i have kids at home so if my phone rang im ment to ignore it or get a penalty......
You ring them back when race has finished unless you can get a quick stand in...

or use a hands free kit/bluetooth if it doesn't distract from marshalling or simply use a stand in marshal if it is vital to be able to talk on a phone or text message after you have finished your race.

we all have families and life outside of racing and we all have different life issues so you are not being victimised for having young children etc.

If its the same rule for everyone then its fair.
Old 08-06-2011

no worries charlie, you had enough on...

there must be some rule somewhere in the BRCA handbook which relates to the use of mobiles both on the rostrum and when marshalling... i know i've had a telling off for using an ipod at a TC meeting a few years back, and that was only one headphone in, apparently i was distracted while marshalling because of the tunes... i duly left it in the pits after that.

i'm not asking for the world am in in saying that we expect to be marshalled quickly and most importantly SAFELY without being yelled at (and yes i did shout at the marshall in question who still remained oblivious to the shout...)...we are a good freindly region, the clubs all do a very good job in hosting these meetings for us and they are let down by as already mentioned marshalls who just dont appear bothered about marshalling the race.

it does look at times that the marshall thinks they may gain an advantage by not getting to the car quickly..but think about it...the cars you are marshalling are in a better heat than you so the driver should be quicker anyway!

i wouldn't excpect anyone on the marshall point after the jump on sunday to racing out into traffic, it was a dangerous spot and so has to be treated with care.

back to phones and the quote about having kids at home... really???? ... we race for 5 mins... if your phone rings in your pocket are you gonna pull up mid race stop and answer it (if the problems are that serious maybe you shouldn't be racing that weekend)? between races there is a small gap... ring them back.. if its a serious issue ask the driver your replacing if they could do a double stint..i cant see anyone in our region not doing that...

i'm glad this post has highlighted that we are slacking as a region...i'm sure nathan will mention this on sunday at grantham... c'mon guys and girls lets just pick our game up!
Old 08-06-2011
Mad Member

We could get Nathan to text everybody drivers briefing.

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 08-06-2011

Rules covering poor marshalling are in BRCA Section Rules 17.10 (Penalties) which says that penalties for this are the same as driving penalties in 17.6. This states, "At the Ref's discretion penalties can be - an official warning, 5 or 10 second penalty, 1 lap penalty or disqualification."
I think your marshal got off lightly just having you shout at him!
Old 08-06-2011
oOple Advertiser

I wonder if the bloke who was texting has read this thread? maybe he is still blissfully unaware of the fuss he has caused. He was certainly unaware on the day lol.

(I know who it was but i'm not saying owt!! hehe)

My feedback
Old 08-06-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

At the end of the day, (and I have said this to Mr Shardlow many times, due to being a victim of bad marshalling most of the year so far) I always marshal other people how I expect to be marshalled myself.

I have fallen fowl of many marshalls this year that have been far to busy, watching the racing at the other side of the track rather than watching the track in front of them.
In my eyes its always unnacceptable for marshalls to not do their duties properly.
Yes there are times when you miss out on an upturned car probably because you've just marshalled another and not noticed it. It happens, but being too busy watching the racing is wrong.

I think Nathan should bring the subject up at drivers briefing at the next regional.
Something does need to be done.
Old 08-06-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
You ring them back when race has finished unless you can get a quick stand in...

or use a hands free kit/bluetooth if it doesn't distract from marshalling or simply use a stand in marshal if it is vital to be able to talk on a phone or text message after you have finished your race.

we all have families and life outside of racing and we all have different life issues so you are not being victimised for having young children etc.

If its the same rule for everyone then its fair.
i think your missing my point,if people who smoke marshal badly are you going to ban smoking..if someone is texting i would take it on face value its for good reason,

Old 08-06-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardshow View Post
back to phones and the quote about having kids at home... really???? ... we race for 5 mins... if your phone rings in your pocket are you gonna pull up mid race stop and answer it (if the problems are that serious maybe you shouldn't be racing that weekend)?

if you read it properly you would see "i dont use my phone while i marshal but if it rings im ment to ignore it or get a panalty"

am i ment to tell the kids to stay in bed all day and not move because im going racing

i know using a mobile is a problem but baning is wrong,i will agree a penalty because if its that important that the phone is answered then i for one wouldnt be bothered about a penalty

Old 08-06-2011

peoples kids cannot be the problem of everyone else racing, surely we can all see that
perhaps if someone has responsibilities not being manned they could ring before they race and check the situation at home is all cool